Speedo + fuel gauge fault

Hi all,

Sorry to say I'm a lurker on this forum, contributing little, and often only posting when I need help but please don't hold this against me.  (Help!)

My beloved and trusty steed (mk1 Octavia VRS 2003) has developed yet another fault - the speedo has stopped working and the fuel gauge is behaving very erratically.

In the last 12 months I've spent approximately a grand on replacement electrical parts and just as I thought nothing else could go wrong, now this!  I'm starting to consider selling the car.   :(

Would I be right in thinking that this speedo and fuel gauge problem is the same/similar problem as mentioned on so many other posts on this forum?  i.e. The the soldering on the instrument cluster circuit board needs fixing.

I've taken the instrument cluster out but my electrical knowledge is very poor, so I'm considering sending the instrument cluster to ECUTesting.com for fixing (if the problem is indeed circuit board related).

Any advice welcome, many thanks.
M.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, ECU is showing fault: "P0501 Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance"
Edited by Mateus109

Does it keep bepping cos no fuel and does horn n interior light work

Yes it keeps beeping when fuel needle drops.  Horn & interior light work.  Forgot to mention, ECU is showing fault P0501 "Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance".

So would this indicate a gearbox problem?

EDIT:  Looking online, it seems P0501 just means the ECU knows the speedo's not working for any number of reasons.

Edited by Mateus109

Pull fuse 15, & if you get your speedo back the problem is the voltage regulators in the dash.

Pulling fuse 15 made no difference (other than obviously the dash dies when engine off).  While driving the speedo still shows 0 MPH and the fuel gauge fluctuates from 0 to the correct level.

Do you think this is not a dash problem and more likely gearbox related?

Thanks.

Your fault code shows you the problem...either knackered speed sencer or wiring to it...I had the same problem and replaced it and problem gone

Thanks, I'll try replacing the speed sensor first.

M.

Seems it might be the instrument cluster at fault.  I can get a replacement for £30 and I have a contact with the VAG kit for reprogramming the new cluster. However, I don't know how I'm going to get hold of the car's 7 digit SKC code as apparently Skoda don't give these out (even the dealers don't get to see the codes; it's all computerised now).