Yellow Peril II, this time its personal

Leeboy

Looks good now fitted.

What gauge have you got? I'm looking to get a few of the double digital ones, not sure what to go for on my 1.8t.

I purchased a dual oil pressure and temp SPA gauge and today finished the job off having fitted the senders a few weekends back. So as a reminder, the pressure sender used the spare port on the filter assembly take off

DSC_0246_zps8i875m4p.jpg

And the temperature sender was installed using a tapped sump plug

_20161022_173610_zpspn6ahma0.jpg

Wiring for both senders were passed through the bulk head by putting a slit in the rubber boot that takes the main loom through to the internal fuses and relay packs. I used some tiger seal to make the rubber boot water tight once job was finished

DSC_0249_zpsb3bmeedu.jpg

Inside the car I removed the lower facia panel to gain access to wiring and pull the gauge harness though.

DSC_0250_zpsyschjtz0.jpg

Then first job was to set about identifying an ignition-switched 12v supply off the loom to the light switch using a multi-meter. As it turns out there are a couple of choices.

I used a black and white wire which I stripped back a section of insulation and used a choc-block to join this to the power feed for the meter via an in-line mini blade fuse.

DSC_0252_zpstp39i6lo.jpg

Earth was wired up to the metal work that holds the dash in place...

DSC_0253_zpsnwwijfd5.jpg

And as of proof were needed

DSC_0254_zpszsaefgos.jpg

Wiring was then hidden up the side of the dash board

DSC_0255_zps7hh20lej.jpg

I purchased a cheap pod to mount the gauge and then screwed everything back together.

DSC_0257_zpshrmbxlie.jpg

A quick test run assured everything worked as intended and once warm oil pressure settled to an acceptable level and would rise appropriately.

DSC_0264_zpsmkludhsm.jpg

Another job ticked off. Need a boost gauge now.

• Like 3

Looks good, had to do my breather out the oil module the other day and wish mine was as clean as yours, maybe one day il it out for a clean up

How you finding the engine mounts lee? Went pod yesterday and need more grip so if what you'd read on the golf forums is true regarding grip il do these before a lsd

Looks good, had to do my breather out the oil module the other day and wish mine was as clean as yours, maybe one day il it out for a clean up

How you finding the engine mounts lee? Went pod yesterday and need more grip so if what you'd read on the golf forums is true regarding grip il do these before a lsd

Done about a thousand miles now and they have bedded in somewhat coupled with the fact that the downpipe is no longer testing on the heat shield of the steering rack so a lot less NVH through into cabin. The sat nav sit wobbles up and down when stuck to the windscreen mind you!

I'm still on old standard suspension so with that being a bit on the soft side it may actually help but I don't get any wheel hop whatsoever which use to be the case with my yellow peril mk1 which ran an lsd and up rated dog bone mount only.

Regarding the clean engine, it's still leaking oil but I think this may actually be coming from the cam cover gasket that I changed recently and is running down the back of the block, used a cheap pattern part, but wondered if I needed to add extra sealant where the half moon blanks fill in the end of cam gaps in. The head, the one that came off didn't have any additional sealant. The front of the sump is dry now. So I'm just chasing the last of the leaks at the moment, I will get there though.

Might need a front caliper refurbish next as they don't bit particularly quickly.

• Like 1

My cam gaskets gone, I no with bmw ones you do need some sealant on the halfs so maybe these are the same, mines gone at the chain end on a half moon. See yesterday I had no hope which I no use toget before me coilovers and poly tops but it did keep letting 1 wheel go but as I found out on me last run I wasn't getting the tyres hot enough, im scared of the weak diff dowls I keep hearing about! I need to get that 23mm bar on I got off ya which might help, my sub frame bolts are being very stubborn

My cam gaskets gone, I no with bmw ones you do need some sealant on the halfs so maybe these are the same, mines gone at the chain end on a half moon. See yesterday I had no hope which I no use toget before me coilovers and poly tops but it did keep letting 1 wheel go but as I found out on me last run I wasn't getting the tyres hot enough, im scared of the weak diff dowls I keep hearing about! I need to get that 23mm bar on I got off ya which might help, my sub frame bolts are being very stubborn

You'll have to let me know next time your going to go up the strip. Had a look at the thread in track day action and looked like a good day out. At some point I'll do some track days in mine but not until it has new suspension and tyres. But for quarter mile runs it should be OK as it is other than it squats down at the rear quite noticeably at present.

• Like 1

All links to photos back up now, so here's what I've been up to next.

Boot retrim started with new flooring and next was to replace the O/S quarter panel moulding on account of having a busted storage pocket which could not be mended unobtrusively.

DSC_0287_zpsztdhmxq8.jpg

The replacement had been on back order for sometime and when it did arrive it was broken already so reordered.

I also wanted to replace the plastic trim that sits around the tailgate opening as this was fair battered and scratched although may be not show up all that well in the photo.

DSC_0288_zpsfcgmarni.jpg

Old side panel and plastic trim removed first.

DSC_0289_zpsqjic3oa5.jpg

Then replacements fitted.

DSC_0290_zpsbq8wzjcd.jpg

DSC_0291_zpsdonekwgx.jpg

And to finish, new cargo net clipped in!

DSC_0292_zpsbsmbgzri.jpg

To finish the retrim, just need to sand down and repaint the strengthening braces and refit.

• Like 3

Yellow Peril II went on the rollers today at Jkm Portsmouth. Good chance to catch up with new and old faces.

DSC_0266_zpsgimiw3hp.jpg

Slightly disappointed with the run to be honest...

DSC_0270_zpsnlxgrfab_edit_1477757153975_

Thanks though to mushtafa for clearing fault codes and then reading again after the run as the EML reappeared.

Turns out that I never plugged back in the inlet manifold temp sensor following fitto the painted manifold the other month. I had pushed the connector in place but just not clicked it home so wasn't obvious.

Fault codes cleared again and got it back on the rollers for a second go.

DSC_0271_zpsrl2or9bu_edit_1477757044006_

This was within 10% of what R-tech mapped it at and torque is about where it should be. Much more like it!

Felt good on the way home too.

what turbo is it running again?

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda confused .. i read that early on in this thread you swapped engines, and later i saw something about it being 2.0 tfsi coilpacks .. so what engine is actually in it now? I thought it was the original 1.8T though a modded one? Does the 2.0 tfis coilpack do anything for a stock engine?

All links to photos back up now, so here's what I've been up to next.

Boot retrim started with new flooring and next was to replace the O/S quarter panel moulding on account of having a busted storage pocket which could not be mended unobtrusively.

DSC_0287_zpsztdhmxq8.jpg

The replacement had been on back order for sometime and when it did arrive it was broken already so reordered.

I also wanted to replace the plastic trim that sits around the tailgate opening as this was fair battered and scratched although may be not show up all that well in the photo.

DSC_0288_zpsfcgmarni.jpg

Old side panel and plastic trim removed first.

DSC_0289_zpsqjic3oa5.jpg

Then replacements fitted.

DSC_0290_zpsbq8wzjcd.jpg

DSC_0291_zpsdonekwgx.jpg

And to finish, new cargo net clipped in!

DSC_0292_zpsbsmbgzri.jpg

To finish the retrim, just need to sand down and repaint the strengthening braces and refit.

so it was you who got the last boot trims :( on back order for lh side now 

Good news, I've actually fixed something that was actually broken rather than wasn't clean or not as new as I'd like.

MW reception in the head unit was rather poor with snap crackle and pop in all but the strongest signal areas. FM worked fine. I'd already wired up a ground from the casing of the radio to the chassis in the hope this would improve things but there was no difference.

I therefore bit the bullet and ordered a new aerial the original one had seen better days in any event.

Removing the original demonstrated just how faded the yellow is on the roof.

DSC_0308_zps8hpw6wjd.jpg

The old aerial was somewhat weathered

DSC_0311_zpsvfscflqy.jpg

New one fitted and success. No crackle or interference!

DSC_0309_zpsayhpz5vn.jpg

• Like 2

I no everyone asks everytime you buy something but how much for the aerial fella? Mines manky and have no mw and fm is worse on damp mornings

About £30 + vat I think from the dealer, so TPS or maybe ebay could be cheaper but I didn't know what the part number should be. I have that if you need it. First proper test today driving this evening from Wiltshire to Cambridgeshire and 5live on MW was good across the who route.

• Like 1

so it was you who got the last boot trims :( on back order for lh side now

Sorry dude, although I haven't replaced the left hand side of mind, although I may do as the new boot carpet and right hand side moulding are a different shade compared to the original left hand moulding.

• Like 1

Drive train is standard eha gearbox with LSD. Hubs, steering and brakes are all standard other than DS2500 pads and groved ebc discs.

Suspension and bushes all standard and 132000 miles old at the moment. It did come with a R32 front roll bar and I've put a Neuspeed 28mm rear arb on. Doesn't feel particularly stable through corners at the mo and I need to adjust the RARB as it's still a bit understeery, probably because of stiffer front roll bar.

Tyres are cheap jobbies but lots of tread so won't get changed just yet.

• Like 1