Hi,

I'm owning a Skoda Superb 1.4TSI, 2011, 95000km and recently I noticed that there is something strange with the car when it's started for the first time. Normally, upon startup, the rev is below 1000 and the engine is pretty quiet. However, for the last couple of months, when the car is started for the first time (for example in the morning), the rev goes up to more than 1000 and as the result, the engine becomes a lot noisier. If I stop the engine (even for as short as 5-10 seconds), the rev & engine noise get back to normal for any subsequent starts. The same thing happens if I wait for about 30secs to 1 minute without stopping the engine & restarting.

In addition to those symptoms, I also noticed some sort of degradation of the car performance, for example, the steering wheel gets a bit stiffer, the car is not as smooth as it usually is etc.

Has anybody experienced the similar issue with Superb or other Skoda cars and what can be the source of the problem?

Br,

Phi

post-128901-0-13768900-1440403439_thumb.jpg

post-128901-0-57626400-1440403439_thumb.jpg

I would get the battery tested.

The high idling and stiff steering certainly point to a weak battery.

I don't know about Finland but in the UK you can get the battery tested for free at most car places with a little print out of the battery health.

Phil

From new, my 1.4TSI on first start of the day will tickover at 800 or 1,250 RPM for about 30 seconds no matter what the outside temperature. Also the noise it makes for the first 5 seconds sounds like timing chain rattle.

I would get the battery tested.

The high idling and stiff steering certainly point to a weak battery.

I don't know about Finland but in the UK you can get the battery tested for free at most car places with a little print out of the battery health.

Phil

Thanks Phil! How can a weak battery cause that issue? Can you please explain a bit more clearly?

Phi

From new, my 1.4TSI on first start of the day will tickover at 800 or 1,250 RPM for about 30 seconds no matter what the outside temperature. Also the noise it makes for the first 5 seconds sounds like timing chain rattle.

So does it still happen to you now, e.g, high rev at startup? I don't know if that's normal but my car hasn't been like that until recently. And surprisingly, it happens mostly on days with hot weather.

Thanks Phil! How can a weak battery cause that issue? Can you please explain a bit more clearly?

Phi

Of course.

If the battery is weak then the alternator needs to produce more power which it cannot do at 800rpm so the revs are increased to help. Also as the steering is electric driven by a motor that needs a lot of power if the battery can't provide the power it needs the motor won't be as strong.

Idling at 1000rpm can also be normal when it's cold or it's been stood for a while without use. But the heavy steering you describe is not normal.

Phil

Of course.

If the battery is weak then the alternator needs to produce more power which it cannot do at 800rpm so the revs are increased to help. Also as the steering is electric driven by a motor that needs a lot of power if the battery can't provide the power it needs the motor won't be as strong.

Idling at 1000rpm can also be normal when it's cold or it's been stood for a while without use. But the heavy steering you describe is not normal.

Phil

Thanks! I understand now. It's still strange however that it returns to normal rev straightaway if I stop & restart the engine and that even retains for other subsequent starts as well.

Phi

Yes it still does rev. to 1,250RPM on 50% of the first of the day start ups, I think it might be something it does to get the CAT to light up/warm up quicker.

The strange thing is that it hasn't been like that before and it usually happens on the hot days  :sun:

The strange thing is that it hasn't been like that before and it usually happens on the hot days  :sun:

Isn't it something to do with the direct injection, especially on a hot day that can cause fuel vaporisation issues

Re timing chain - worth getting it checked for stretch and tensioner design version - It is usual for a very slight rattle for a couple of seconds  if car hasn't been run for a couple of days - oil pressure operated tensioner.

An important thing on the 1.4tsi (&1.8 tsi) engine - is never let it turn backwards - OK sounds wierd - but if you park pointing up hill and leave in a forward gear - the car rolling backwards once you release footbrake could do this. If you need to leave in gear always engage the gear you would use to drive DOWN a hill (e.g. reverse if front pointing up hill, first if front pointing down hill). All usually OK on a brand new one but with a bit of wear you "could" be asking for trouble - think of turning the pedals of an old derailer bike  , fine forwards but if turned backwards can snarl up. Can also retract the tensioner under certain circumstances

Edited by bigjohn

Ok, I paid attention when I started mine this morning

Briefly went to 1200rpm for a few seconds and quickly dropped back to 750rpm

Does it happen often? I think a few seconds may be fine but one minute like mine could be pretty much.

• 3 years later...

I just had this same problem today. Car has done 7500 miles. Today when I started it in P (DSG) the engine started increasing revs. Put in D and it went back to normal Switched off and restarted. Same again. Drove it after revs went down and it has been alright since, but I am taking it for a checkup next week.

Not sure if the engine management keeps a record of faults like this.

I've learnt that this is normal for this engine. It's to minimise emissions by lighting up the catalyst quicker 

[EDIT] Also mentioned further up the thread

Edited by bigjohn