Buying advice, too good to be true?

Pudq1

Hi all!!!

I have my mind set on buying an octavia 1.9tdi, I have been looking for ages now and they seem hard to come by, I have found this one

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608166835177?search-target=usedcars&make=skoda&model=octavia&price-to=4000&fuel-type=diesel&transmission=manual&seller-type=trade_adverts&postcode=br53je&page=3&sort=pricedesc&radius=100&searchcontext=default&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=7

Would you trust that ad or is the price too good to be true? cambelt change at 50k? Will be travelling 90 miles to look at it so hoping its a solid car

Allow in your budget that you will be getting done a major service including a cambelt change.

At someplace you can trust.

If you did buy a faulty car you would reject it ASAP anyway when bought from a Dealers.

Especially a family run one with 60 years combined experience in the business.

(I take it that is not a large family with say 6 years each flogging cars.)

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

Allow in your budget that you will be getting done a major service including a cambelt change.

At someplace you can trust.

If you did buy a faulty car you would reject it ASAP anyway when bought from a Dealers.

Especially a family run one with 60 years combined experience in the business.

(I take it that is not a large family with say 6 years each flogging cars.)

Major service with a cambelt change, makes sense to change water pump aswell??...What about a new clutch?? 

Edited by Pudq1

You would hope that the car is maintained and has a folder of Invoices & Receipts.

Maybe clutch already done etc.

Always check the windscreen really well in case it is terrible to see through in sunlight due to tiny chips. 

That can be an expense unless some accident befalls it.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

The 1.9 has cambelt intervals of 4 years or 60k miles so it's due one in either a year ish or 8k miles. Water pump is recommended.

Given the mileage the price seems fair. At those miles it potentially needs a new flywheel and clutch in the not too distant future if not already done.

The drivers seat is a little saggy on the side but overall looks decent.

• Like 1

http://gov.uk/check-mot-history

VU09 ZKG

Just checked the MOT history on it.

So that is a lot of miles covered 2014-2016.     So buyer beware. 

NO MOT SHOWING BETWEEN 2015-2016

I missed that when I looked as I only scrolled through quickly!! So it has done 62k miles in 2 years with no MOT to prove...

I doubt I'll ever find the model and year that I'm looking for with a budget of £4000 max..if im spending that much buying it - I dont want to be spending more money on cambelts, waterpumps and clutches. All the other cars coming up in my search results are all estates (would prefer a hatchback due to parking)..Does the hatchback and estate differ much in MPG as the estate is heavier??

Edited by Pudq1

Could it have been used as a Taxi? Not sure on the rules but it seems that Taxi's have a different inspection regime and that rules change somewhat from area to area which may preclude them from having an MOT.  ????

• Like 1

Could it have been used as a Taxi? Not sure on the rules but it seems that Taxi's have a different inspection regime and that rules change somewhat from area to area which may preclude them from having an MOT.  ????

In support of the above  an MOT doesn't mean "not a Taxi" but "no MOT" = Taxi, SORN or an interesting history. From https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/212554/taxi-private-hire-licensing-guide.pdf

32. There is considerable variation between local licensing authorities on vehicle testing, including the related question of age limits. The following can be regarded as best practice: 

Frequency Of Tests. The legal requirement is that all taxis should be subject to an MOT test or its equivalent once a year. For PHVs the requirement is for an annual test after the vehicle is three years old. An annual test for licensed vehicles of whatever age (that is, including vehicles that are less than three years old) seems appropriate in most cases, unless local conditions suggest that more frequent tests are necessary. However, more frequent tests may be appropriate for older vehicles (see ‘age limits’ below). Local licensing authorities may wish to note that a review carried out by the National Society for Cleaner Air in 2005 found that taxis were more likely than other vehicles to fail an emissions test. This finding, perhaps suggests that emissions testing should be carried out on ad hoc basis and more frequently than the full vehicle test.

• Like 1

So frustrating looking for a new car, sometimes they may have everything your after (engine size, trim, colour etc...) then you read the ad further and it hasn't been looked after (service history)!!

I'd say given the mileage it seems a little on the pricey side. Yes it's a 2009 but only an SE and high miles.

If you don't mind the looks of the estate then don't discount it. It is actually the exact same length as the hatchback, same tax band, and about 1mpg behind the hatch.

Have you also completely ruled out a pre-FL (2007-08 plate)?

• Like 1

I'd say given the mileage it seems a little on the pricey side. Yes it's a 2009 but only an SE and high miles.

If you don't mind the looks of the estate then don't discount it. It is actually the exact same length as the hatchback, same tax band, and about 1mpg behind the hatch.

Have you also completely ruled out a pre-FL (2007-08 plate)?

Price reduced by £200!! Would you say still too expensive? Edited by Pudq1