Everything posted by thamestrader
-
Self locking Karoq?
I don’t think the recall software update was OTA, I believe it’s a Dealer applied update. I have the impression that Infotainment apps and maps are updated OTA whereas operational software updates are only via Dealers.
-
Self locking Karoq?
There was a recall action related to Kessy that involved a software update, has your Karoq had that fix? if not your nearest dealer should do be able to do it. I personally have not had any issues with Kessy, but the fix was applied to my KAroq in MArch this year when it was serviced. I have seen posts by other owners regarding the keys being locked in the car and other odd behaviour with the locking.
-
key fob battery?
Screwfix I find to be a good source for remote key batteries, usually Varta. Seem to last as long as any others.
-
towbar
If tow bar specific wiring you mean the harness that runs from front to the back of the car that is usually part of the Towbar Prep package. If you download the Digital Certificate from the My Skoda App it will show whether it’s been included in the build. However even if it has that cable you still need the Towing Module and its coding to make it work. Although there were issues last year with Dealers getting access to the coding for some post 2023 Karoqs that has now been resolved but not all dealers are prepared to do the coding.
-
Fabia 2018 DSG question
My thoughts too. My local independent that I used for nearly 20 years uses the ‘number of heat cycles’ approach - which sounds similar to what you are saying. Running at full operating temp is good, it’s the mileage done while warming up that causes the wear. Our 2015 Fabia DSG has done 21712 miles and I too am wondering about a DSG oil change but it’s working fine so I’m erring on the leave it alone.
-
Reversing Camera image oddity
This is relatively trivial. Sometimes the reversing camera gives this view showing more of the number plate than it does in the second image which is what it usually looks like. Today I finally discovered what causes it. Starting the car and selecting reverse before the infotainment system has completed booting up.
-
navigation database update for 2025 Sportsline
Yes Remote Services is the lock/unlock, honk & flash, driving data, theft alarm, parking position stuff. Infotainment online is map updates, online route calculation, online traffic etc. I use both features - I prefer the built in sat nav so don’t bother with CarPlay. Map version 26.02 downloaded recently, I have Software 0330 and hardware H25 - yours may be different as my Sportline is a 2023 model.
-
navigation database update for 2025 Sportsline
@Chris49 Skoda Connect is free for the first 36 months from the date you register for Skoda Connect, it’s not linked to the purchase date. The cost of each subscription was £36 a year, I pay for both services. I like the sat nav and find the realtime routing very accurate and responsive. As of March 2026 the map database was 25.12. Your 36 months free period gives you time to decide whether you like/need the Connect functions. If you are having phone pairing issues check you are using Bluetooth rather than the MySkkda9345 WiFi hotspot.
-
Warranties
If you sign up for a service plan extended warranty is one of the included items.
- Panoramic roof on Sportline
-
After market Towbar challenges?
Towbar prep in all Karoqs is the cable that runs from front to back, AND in some smaller engined Karoqs included increased cooling mods eg different grill and extra fan or bigger fans. Irrespective of actual brand of towbar the Towing Module is required and this requires coding to make the towbar electric socket work correctly with the CANBUS. This coding affects ABS and ESC configuration, dashboard repeaters for indicators, rear parking sensors and rear emergency braking, without this disabled when towing it won’t be possible to reverse. Yes the rear parking sensors can be switched off, most cars it’s a button, every time the car is started. Maybe there are on screen options on latest models. The coding has been released for 2024, 2025 models, there are owners who have had it done, BUT not all dealers are willing to do it. There are no coding issues with 2023 and earlier models.
-
A cautionary tale - Speed Bumps Vs Karoq suspension
Unfortunately when 3rd parties ( eg valet parking, airport parking, any motor trade business, breakdown service) have your car you have no control over who is behind the wheel. Many years ago my 3 year old Mitsubishi Space runner was written off by the Mitsubishi Dealers driver when returning it to my place of work after its 72,000 mile service.
-
Park assist
Going back to Park Assist, and this may have been updated, in my 2013 Touran to parallel park the driver had to press the Park button and then select Parallel on the dash display, then drive slowly along the road while the car looked for a suitable space. In today’s busy streets it was difficult to both drive slow enough and be able stop in time safely to use the space.
-
Park assist
I had Park Assist on my 2013 VW Touran, it would parallel park and reverse into a normal car park slot but there had to be cars in the slots either side. In both situations the driver controlled speed and chose forward or reverse according to on screen prompts the “car” did the steering. I used it 3 or 4 times if was very unsettling as I was forever thinking it would hit something. The best thing was I learnt that rapid steering at the last minute was the key parallel parking. It did get caught out when trying to park between two Smart cars which are much narrower and it ended up on the pavement as it lined up the drivers side with the roadside of the narrower Smart car. Karoq parking sensors and reversing camera work well together and the door mirrors give a very good view. Personally I wouldn’t have Park Assist but would always have the reversing camera and front/rear sensors. There are two versions of the Reversing Camera basic (which is fine) has straight guidelines and high level which has guidelines that curve that show if you the track.
-
Sportline dilemma
My 73 plate 2.0 TSI 4x4 Sportline with factory fitted optional Space Saver spare was approx £39800, so just under the £40k threshold. 2024 plate 2L Sportlines, were over the threshold hence I went for 2023 reg car, and saved £2000 in extra VED. I suspect the 1.5 TSI Sportline Edition with extras could now be over as well.
-
Sportline dilemma
Sportline ride is not entirely due to wheel size. Yes the 40 profile tyres are a factor, that can be remedied by fitting 45 profile tyres, All Season tyres also soften the ride. But the 4x4s multilink rear suspension makes a big difference. Regarding the pan roof - I would never choose to have one, but its the only model with the 2.0 TSI engine, yes it does make the overall black interior of the Sportline lighter, but the need to keep the drains clear and the nenoprene seals moisturised to prevent water leaks is a pain.
-
Software update, which software?
This is the System Info display from my 2023 2.0 TSI Sportline today. Compared to your 2025 vehicle; my hardware version is earlier - makes sense, Software is earlier version probably right as that is no doubt related to hardware version, Navigation database on mine is later I think Dec 2025 as apposed to June 2023I think thats the way to interpret the data, in Nov 2024 the Navigation database was 24.10. I have had all the software updates applied by dealers and OTA.
-
Drivers side mirror not folding in
Worth checking fuses first. Possibly a broken wire where it passes through the rubber tube between a pillar and the door. The wires are very thin and the drivers door tends to be used a lot more than the passenger one.
-
A cautionary tale - Speed Bumps Vs Karoq suspension
@mumpsim Yes it was all from Dashcam footage. The 14 day limit for getting a speeding ticket has now past too. When I compiled this post I made the decision not to mention anything about the who, why etc, as my sole reason fpor posting was to inform other owners. @JXR Bridgestone Turanza All Season , compared to the other All Seasons around these did well in the areas I was interested in wet roads, resistance to aquaplaning, noise,- I wasn't interested in Snow ability. They also have a good rim protector buffer. My brother has just put a set on his Yeti and got a 25,000 mile mileage life guarantee. I'm sure I replied with this a few days ago....... perhaps its in another unrelated thread looking out of place.
-
Beware OTA Software Update!
I got the message last Wednesday and just had to log back in. Read the full message, before pressing OK, there is an option to delay installation. Try to avoid doing what I did. My finger pressed the OK while my eyes were still reading and before my brain had caught up!🙃
-
A cautionary tale - Speed Bumps Vs Karoq suspension
This is a heads up to fellow Karoq owners with regard to the effect of Speed Bump impact on the Karoq suspension. I recently had new front tyres fitted to my Karoq, the wheel alignment checked and adjusted, and the printout provided recorded Front Camber, Castor and Toe and Rear Camber and Toe, all within manufacturer's specification. One week later the Karoq was driven by a 3rd party. The next day evidence came to light of the vehicle being driven over four speed bumps on a 30 mph stretch of road at speeds of 40 to 45 mph. I asked my local Skoda dealer to perform an alignment check as, having just fitted two new tyres, I wanted to be sure the wheel alignment had not been affected. The results are shown below. I was very alarmed by the camber measurements, I thought it would just be the toe that might be out. To fix the front and rear camber was 4 hours work, as the front subframe had to lowered, fitted with new bolts and then adjusted, at the rear it required the lower suspension arms to be adjusted. Front camber is adjusted by eccentric bolts which move the subframe slightly. The rear camber is again an eccentric bolt that moves the lower arm. Then the electronics required recalibration; this is the front radar, parking sensors and reversing camera, so that the emergency collision avoidance system worked correctly. I am now much more cautious about speed bumps, I won’t be going any quicker than 20mph over them in future.
-
Buying Advice Please
The staying in high gears until almost stationary is how drivers are taught now, ad the Test required economical driving. Sometimes old school ways were better. I got picked up on a minibus assessment for not starting off in 2nd gear, which I knew the vehicle was incapable of doing even on the level empty.
-
Buying Advice Please
With the 1.5 TSI engine it depends what model year you are looking at; it has had modifications that have attempted to address the issues, I think its fair to say that it has improved but not not been completely fixed. It is a complex engine designed around the Miller cycle rather than the traditional Otto cycle, it requires very precise tolerances and tuning to perform properly. Many owners say it runs better on Premium fuel - like Shell V-Power and it benefits from Fixed annual servicing scheme rather the extended Flexible/Variable servicing scheme. The 1.0 TSI and 2.0 TSI engines on the otherhand seem to be problem free. With regard to the DSG gearbox fitted to the 1.5 TSI there are two versions - 2WD use the DQ 200 and 4WD use the DQ 381. The DQ 200 is a dry clutch and the DQ 381 a wet clutch. The majority of issues reported for the DSG gearbox are for the DQ 200, but there are literally millions of DQ 200 DSG gearboxes in use around the world in VW, Audi, SEAT and Skoda vehicles. Its a feature of Forums and Groups that the majority of posts relate to problems which skews the impression of an engine or gearbox. The DQ 200 has been around for over 15 years, with modifications and improvements, and the post 2015 DQ 200 is generally a reliable gearbox (I have a DQ 200 in our 2015 Fabia 1.2 TSI which we've had for 11 years). The DSG is a manual gearbox with a mechanically controlled clutch and gear selection mechanism, so just like the manual clutch and gearbox it can suffer if abused. The DQ 381 wet clutch is relatively new, its processor, was the bullet proof DQ 250 ( I had one of these in a VW for 11 years). I have a DQ 381 in my Karoq 2.0 TSI 4x4. There is no doubt that the 1.5 TSI is more suited to the DSG than the manual gearbox, as the DSG manages the foibles of the 1.5 TSI automatically. I would advise test driving a new 1.5 TSI manual and 1.5 TSI DSG - to set a bench mark as to how they should drive. Then when you test drive used ones you will have a standard against which to judge them. With the DSG it should creep smoothly without any throttle on tickover, change gear smoothly even under hard acceleration, pull away without jerkiness. Its your money and car at the end of the day and we all have different preferences and requirements.
-
Checking historical tyre pressure
The ABS sensor system can take a while to report an issue if it’s a slow puncture. I’ve had a TPMS alert, pumped the tyre up and continued driving for 5 hours until I could get the puncture fixed, without a further alert.
-
Heated door adjustment control for Fabia MK3NJ ('19)
Apologies my Touran and Karoq work that way and I thought our Fabia was the same - I usually only drive it to get petrol as my partner she’s not very keen on that aspect of car ownership!