Everything posted by thamestrader
-
Amazed Skoda has become so BAD..
if I use the paddles on mine it displays M and the gear number if I don’t use the paddles to change up the DSG changes up at the redline to protect the engine and gearbox - which is the same as sport mode.
-
Amazed Skoda has become so BAD..
@minsy that is a really unusual behaviour from a DSG gearbox, I’ve driven DSG cars since 2013, currently have wet clutch DSG in the Karoq and dry clutch in the Fabia, previously had a VW Touran with wet clutch DSG never experienced anything like you have described. In everyday driving they have all changed all up between 1500 and 2000 rpm unless the throttle is pushed to the floor when they change up at the red line. I do know that the DSG adapts to driving style: I tow a twin axle car trailer, both the petrol Karoq and previous diesel VW Touran would hang on to the lower gears and change down when easing off on down hill sections for a day or so until they re-adapted to driving solo.
-
Amazed Skoda has become so BAD..
I’ve never heard anyone comment on the DSG changing gear at high revs usually the comment is it changes too soon and they use Sport mode to hold on to lower gears for longer. I don’t suppose you are in Sport rather than Drive?
-
Big thanks to my agent, not.
The Service Plan is with VWFS they pay whichever Skoda dealer does the service - its not linked to one specific dealer.
-
Constant app updates
Having spent my whole working life in software development and maintenance, version control and ensuring fixes are applied first to the earliest version in use and then applied to each subsequent version in turn is a complex process that requires proper management.
-
Karoq guide - engine advice and infotainment issues?
VAG MQB A1 platform which is used for Seat, Audi, Skoda and VW cars. This covers engines, gearboxes, suspension technology etc - so any quirks are likely to manifest themselves in the related vehicles. Also engines and gearboxes are common across the VAG range. The Kamiq, VW Tcross and Seat Arosa are slightly smaller but again the same group of parts MQB A0 platform.
-
Constant app updates
@CJJE @ian-inhome what version. Hardware and Software do you currently have? Prior to the update I had Hardware H25 and Software 0330, after the update 0334. This is for Amundsen unit - Columbus has different hardware and software versions. Maybe the latest download only works with 0330.
-
Mpg????
Our 1.2 TSI 120 bhp DSG will easily do 55 to 60 mpg on a 50 mile motorway journey at 70 mph. On short local journeys 3-5 miles mainly urban dual carriageways 45-50 mph does around 45 mpg.
-
What engine for a Skoda fabia estate?
Cant advise on the Diesel, but our 1.2 TSI 110 bhp DSG 5 door hatchback will easily do 55-60 mpg on a 50 mile motorway journey at 70 mph.
-
Karoq guide - engine advice and infotainment issues?
From what I’ve seen posted in this forum and the Facebook group, issues with the infotainment system are mostly to do with connecting to the MySkoda App, a recent issue with repeated update messages which is now resolved and moans about the Sat Nav - in the 30 months I’ve had my Karoq I’ve had no issues with infotainment system apart from the update messages, the Sat Nav is really good I use it all the time. After the initial 3 year free period expires there is a yearly subscription to get map updates and traffic info. 1.0 TSI seems to be a good engine no reports of issues from owners unlike the 1.5 TSI. If over 3 yrs old buy the Skoda All-in-one 2 yr service plan to get the Skoda 2yr warranty which is included.
-
Dealer Diagnostics
If they didn't clear the codes how would they be able to tell they had fixed the problem?. Normally faults that have not been fixed correctly will reappear as soon as the vehicle is started or driven. The awkward faults are those where codes are logged, cleared and return after a period of time. I used to use VCDS to periodiclly check for codes, there would be codes listed which didn't result in any messages on the dashboard, that when cleared never returned or sometimes did return many weeks later, usually it was just a sensor reporting a reading that was out of spec.
-
Brake pads wear indicator does fabia colour edition have brake pads wear indicator light on dash ?
Our 2015 Fabia. 1.2 110 bhp DSG, total of 23500 miles, still on the original pads, would expect them to last to at least 50k on the front and over 100k on the rear, based on last 20 years experience, but its very much down to driving style. Garage that does the yearly service always reports on brake pad wear.
-
Advice for buying a 2018 Karoq 2.0 TDI Edition DSG
From MOT history up until 2022 was doing roughly 10k miles per year, from 2022 yearly mileage is roughly 7k per year, suggesting either a change in circumstances or change of owner. Modern diesels don't like low annual mileages, and the last 4 years between 5k and 8k per year is low, whilst DPF may be OK the EGR valves are prone to clogging with short journeys or low annual mileages, a more likely issue is Ad Blue problems due to crystalisation on the sensors and injector due to low use. Haldex is every 3 years - its nearly due again. more importantly is what were the dates of the previous Haldex services, should have had one in 2021. DSG ask for the oil to be changed and the oil filter to be cleaned - Skoda say every 80k miles - independent specialists advise 40k. Engine oil and filter changes - ideally every 12 months or 10k miles which ever is sooner, consider carefully if the vehicle has been on the Flexible service scheme which extends the intervals to 20k miles or 2 years, so should have had 8 service may only have had 3 or possibly 4. Brake fluid and Coolant should have been changed at least twice if they haven't been done then ask for then to be done. Check the rear tyres for uneven tread wear or an odd wear pattern, assuming the tyres have not been replaced - at around 80K miles the the rear suspension lower arm bushes may have worn - not enough to be an MOT advisory but sufficient to cause uneven tread wear. Cambelt ask for it to be changed along with any other rubber belts (the oil pump is driven by a separate wet belt) , tensioner and water pump if applicable. If they don't want to do this then ask for a warranty to cover the cambelt for the next 50,000 miles. If you are familiar with DSG gearboxes then you will know what it should drive like. If you are not familiar have a really long test drive with lots of stop start traffic, leave the Stop/Start switched ON - even if you don't like it this can expose issues with the DSG. Check Hill Hold and Auto Hold work properly without and with throttle. It should creep smoothly on tickover even up a slight incline in first and reverse.
-
Skoda Karoq 1.5 DSG gearbox
To those who have said the DQ200 shouldn’t start off in 2nd, I would agree it shouldn’t. Neither our dq200 Fabia or dq381 Karoq start off from stationary in 2nd it’s always first gear. However both have a tendency to use 2nd at Give Way junctions and entering roundabouts if I don’t quite stop. Must be the way I drive.🤔
-
Skoda Karoq 1.5 DSG gearbox
@rum4mo I think I am correct in saying that the dry clutch mechatronic unit and main gearbox have their own separate dedicated oil systems. The wet clutch DSG has a single oil system that lubricates the gears, acts as an oil bath for the clutches and also provides the fluid for the mechatronic unit. With regard to creeping in traffic - with both wet and dry clutch DSG boxes when the engine is on tickover and the car is moving clutches are fully engaged so they are not slipping but the clutches can overheat with continual slipping. I would suggest that in queuing traffic a slow continuous creep on tickover is better for the DSG clutches than repeatably stopping and pulling away from stationary - the 7 speed DSG boxes tend to try and start off in 2nd which slips the clutch more than starting in 1st. We have a dry clutch Fabia and wet clutch Karoq, and I creep in traffic rather than stop/start all the time whenever possible, if I do have stop I leave quite a big gap to vehicle in front so I can start creeping sooner and not have to use throttle, I dogged same in the manual vehicles I drive.
-
Constant app updates
How odd, the only affect the update had on my Karoq was to update the version number to 0334 from 0330 and it no longer gets the Update Available message.
-
Skoda Karoq 1.5 DSG gearbox
The difficulty with the online searches is the number of owners who report DSG problems is greater than I’m on those who have no problems. Clutch packs can wear same as a traditional manual so no different really except perhaps in cost. Mechatronic unit is the other failure item but never really find out why they fail. I saw a comment recently that the DSG failure rate DSG with the 1.5 TSI engine is the best combination. There is a dry clutch DSG 2013 VW pool car at work, it’s just had a mechatronic unit replaced at 75k miles, cost £1800, it’s driven by many people with varying levels of skill and mechanical sympathy, so I’m not surprised. We’ve got a dry clutch 2015 Fabia no issues with the DSG, I had a wet clutch DSG 2013 VW no issues with in 108,000 miles and I towed a twin axle car trailer with it as well. This might be of interest https://www.team-bhp.com/news/understanding-vw-skoda-dsg-dq200-failures-detail?amp
-
Constant app updates
I believe this is just the Infotainment system software and not the software in the ECU which only Skoda dealers can update. For example the fix to ensure Kessy does not lock the car with the let’s inside could only be done by a dealer.
-
Lower seats
I suggest test driving a Sportline as the seats have very good side support. I’d go as far as saying they are one of the most comfortable seats I’ve had in 55 years of car ownership ( I may of course previously owned rubbish cars I suppose). The seats in my previous VW Touran also had good side support, and they would probably fit the runners too - plenty available in the breakers, R Line Tiguan seats might be another option.
-
Built in Sat Nav and Post Codes
The Sat Nav knew the road was closed as it was showing as closed, I suspect because I had entered a rural post code it was too vague to determine a reasonable alterative route. I was coming from the north west and the closed road ran horizontally, I knew the parallel road to the north and once I got to a position roughly north of the post code it then produced the correct route. I find the built in Sat Nav is generally very good. Where I live we get a lot of temporary dynamic road closure during the day which may only last 1-3 hrs. The built in Sat Nav is very good at reporting these and roads with slow moving traffic - its almost like its using data from other vehicle with the same Sat Nav system.
-
Tow bar fitting issues- help needed please
@Maureenb This forum us very well supported, also compared to Facebook groups it’s much easier to search for information and knowledge.
-
Tow bar fitting issues- help needed please
I saw you have also looked on the Facebook Karoq Group - where I also post - you have liked my reply. The 2.0 TDI Karoq is a good tow car. On the 2.0 TDI and 2.0 TSI (which I have) Towbar prep is just the wiring that runs from the front to the rear of the car. On the smaller engined Karoqs it can include additional cooling modifications which the larger Karoqs are built with in the factory. My Karoq did not have a towbar fitted when I bought it. I had the Skoda Factory fit towbar fitted by RichterSport in Bletchley (Milton Keynes) and they did an excellent job. The Skoda Factory fit towbar swivels down from under the bumper by pressing a switch in the boot, so dead easy to deploy and put away when not in use. The electrics all work perfectly -because it was coded using the correct Towing module. Connecting the trailer/caravan 7 or 13 pin plug into the towbar socket informs the Karoq's electrical systems so that the revised coding is used. This means Parking Sensors are disabled, Reversing camera alters its view to show the towball, Emergency braking at the rear is disabled when reversing, ABS and other system also adapted to the addition weight when towing. Avoid any installer who tells you a Bypass relay will be fine -it won't be. The old school wiring method of splicing into the cars lighting cables is potentially very risky - there was an example of this about 10 years ago on the VW Touran Forum, caused around £1500 of damage to various electrical modules. A 2024 Karoq can be correctly coded - you may have to search for a dealer who is able to do it, fortunately you don't have a 2025 or 2026 Karoq, because although they can still be coded its much harder finding a dealer who is willing to do it. Hope this helps.
-
Built in Sat Nav and Post Codes
I read the manual 30 months ago, to find out how enter post codes, when I didn't find it mentioned I (wrongly) assumed it wasn't possible. I had always used Post Codes on my standalone Garmin devices, and I recently learnt Skoda's Sat Nav uses Garmin technology. I use the built in Sat Nav all the time. @Sanqhar yes rural postcodes can cover a wide area. The post code I was using yesterday was actually on a road that was closed due to roadworks, my usual route was along the part that was physically impassable. The sat nav knew the road was closed, but was trying to route me to the start of the closed section and couldn't provide a distance or arrival time. Luckily I knew how get to a point where I could approach from the opposite direction but not how to navigate the country lanes at that point, fortunately the Sat Nav then took over and routed by directly to the destination.
-
Lower seats
One option might be to try the seats in other Karoqs - for example the electric seats or Sportline seats may provide a lower seating position. I'm 6' 4" tall and and due to a neck injury 20 years ago have to sit quite upright, backrest not reclined much. The drivers seat is lowered but not to its lowest setting and I have plenty of head room. Its the first car I have owned in the last 30 years where the sun visor is actually needed. I have a Sportline which has the Sports seats and a Pan roof so maybe that helps'
-
Built in Sat Nav and Post Codes
For anyone else who uses the Build-In Sat Nav - I discovered today, after owning the Karoq for 30 months that destinations can be searched for with the Post Code. Just type it into the Search box. I like the Sat Nav - I know many do not, and this is great.