Everything posted by thamestrader
-
Heated door adjustment control for Fabia MK3NJ ('19)
That’s the way those switches work, the mirrors only heat up when the rear heated screen is switched on.
-
Space Saver spare wheel.
Has anyone driven with the factory supplied space saver spare wheel fitted on the front? Reason I ask is a member in Fabia sub-forum discovered that the Space Saver they had did not clear the large front discs so had to be fitted on the rear so a full size wheel could replace the defective wheel/tyre on the front. I'm inclined to think that it would be safer to have a matched pair on the front and the space saver on the back. I have fitted the space saver on the front when swapping wheels front to back but never actually driven the KAroq like that.
-
Škoda Fabia mk3 spare wheel size help
Our Fabia has 15 inch Mato Alloy wheels and no spare. I managed to get an original matching Alloy wheel, the polystyrene moulding and tools (still wrapped) for an Audi A3 and the plastic securing fitting all from Ebay, different sellers. When I bought new tyres I had the best of the old ones put on the s[are alloy wheel. There are always wheels on Ebay. Take off an existing wheel and look for the part number cast on the inside and use that in the Ebay search.
-
Passenger A-Pillar rattle
You could try silicone polish on the surfaces of the plastic that touch - it may help.
-
Best Windscreen Wipers for Fabia
Are Bosch wiper blades available, I always fit Bosch blades and most Karoq owners also recommend Bosch.
-
25 plate Karoq suspension - is the garage giving me the brush off?
An approach I have used in a situation like this is to ask for a benchmark test drive in an identical spec new Karoq. Drive your car round the route first and note how it behaves. Then drive the benchmark vehicle, depending on the outcome you may be the position to argue that your cars suspension is not the same aa the benchmark vehicle and thus it needs to be rectified.
-
Ebay spare wheel kits Vs ordering from dealer/Caffyn's etc?
I went the EBay route with our Fabia; got a refurbed matching alloy rim, set of tools in the polystyrene moulding and the plastic nut and clamp to hold the spare wheel in the boot. All came from different sellers, tools were Audi A3 and still wrapped, nut and clamp Seat Ibiza. As always check the feedback, the alloy wheel was perfect not buckled or damaged in any way.
-
Actuator problem - told only solution is replacement of entire turbo charger
@nta16 no problem- that was 2020 nearly 6 years ago now. Still have the Metro of course but finished volunteering at the Foodbank at the end of March 2021 after 12 months of continuous volunteering, 5 by 8 hour days each week driving a Sprinter van delivering food parcels and collecting new supplies. Seems a long while ago now.
-
Cam Belt issue, again....
Oh that’s an awful situation. One thought, has the water pump siezed, as I’ve read reports of water pumps and belt tensioners failing causing damaged cam belts.
-
Actuator problem - told only solution is replacement of entire turbo charger
@nta16 it’s a 2015 Fabia, so it’s approx 2000 miles a year. My partner doesn’t like changing her cars. In 40 years of driving this is only her 3rd car. We still own the first car (a 1983 Metro with 36,500 on the clock, still on the road taxed and mot’d but not in regular use). I run my cars to at least 100,000 miles, usually to around 150,000 miles, regular maintenance by a good trusted garage/mechanic is, as you say, the key to reliable low cost car ownership.
-
Actuator problem - told only solution is replacement of entire turbo charger
@nta16 picking up on your quoting my post in August 2024. our 2021 Fabia, now approaching 21,500 miles does seem to be benefitting from only using V-Power fuel and the 70 mph MK dual carriage way grid road system giving the engine a bit of a work out. My partner also religiously follows the advice of our local independent garageman, that has serviced her cars for over 20 years, to let the engine idle for 20 seconds before switching off so that the turbo is lubricated while it spools down. I'm sure other brand premium fuel would be just as good but I get 3p litre off through the combination of the Shell App and RAC membership!
-
Heated front screen option?
@Rbz5416 Auto corrupt is great - especially when I can't edit it! When I was looking for a demo or pre reg Sportline in April 24 I added £3000 to the advertised price for any vehicle that was over the £40K threshold, to arrive at the true cost to me over the expected 10 year ownership. In the end I bought a 6 month old 73 plate without a towbar instead of a 3 month old 24 plate with a towbar because even after paying for the Skoda towbar to be fitted it was lower cost overall. The first year VED rate at that time was £1040, but as second owner I only paid £190.
-
Heated front screen option?
@Rbz5416 with those sort of discounts having a tested screen fitted by one of the retro fit specialists may actually work out cheaper, especially as the cost of the retro fit wouldn’t add to the list price for VED. Also buying pre reg avoids the higher first reg VED rate, as second owners in the first year only pay the Standard rate.
-
Driving data, since start doesn't reset automatically
Thanks for the detailed info. I have a Sportline with Amundsen and now you have shown me where to look exactly the same Reset options under Instrument Cluster, and the scroll roller behaves the same as you describe. The Scroll roller action is logical as I reset the Trip every time I refuel by pressing and holding the roller. I have to now question why I bother to do that as Since Refueling provides the same data.
-
Rain sensing wipers or not
I occasionally get random wipes of the windscreen, which I think is usually caused by random moisture drops in the air, generally the rain sensing wipers work well. On the wiper stalk i have a toggle switch that alters the sensitivity - I've never altered it. As Rory says there have been issues reported on numerous Skoda models of 'unexpected' wiper activity. We've had it twice on our Fabia, first time they just started working and wouldn't switch off unless the ignition was turned off, second time in the off position they were working intermittently but at a totally different frequency to the actual intermittent setting, so that intermittent, slow and fast settings all worked perfectly but the Off was doing an intermittent sweep. Boith these faults I'm told requires a new wiper stalk, but both faults stopped of their own accord before thay could be analysed.
-
Driving data, since start doesn't reset automatically
Voytek, no problem. Photo shows my 2023 Sportline dash this morning (in the pouring rain). Something I discovered, which may resolve your issue. When I started the engine and selected Since Start on the Infotainment screen it showed my last journey and it was the same info on the centre of the dash, The Since Start data was reset when I moved the car forwards a few feet, I'd never noticed this before I'd assumed it was the start of the engine rather than the turning of the wheels that caused the reset. I went through all the menu options and can't find any option to reset anu of the driving data stats. As you have a UK car I didn't bother to check the Bolero unit in the Fabia.
-
Driving data, since start doesn't reset automatically
Hi Voytek, So I am in the UK with a UK Spec Karoq with Amundsen Infortainment Unit, your screen print from the manual says the same as my reply, however your dash display show km for distance and mph for speed - so I'm guessing you are in Europe. Do you have a Bolero Infortainemt unit. I ask because I also have a Fabia that has the Bolero Infotainment unit, the Fabia also has the same Driving Data stats. Now the Fabia Since Start automatically resets after 2hrs stopped as it should do, but I am going to check tomorrow what reset options there are for driving data on the Karoqs Amundsen unit and the Fabia's Bolero unit. I think they may be different as I have a faint memory of resetting Long Term on the Fabia when I bought it in 2016 as a 1 year old car.
-
Replace automatically dipping rear view mirror with a manual mirror
Have you considered covering the mirror surface with tinted transparent sheet, similar to window tint film. I drive vans and minibuses without an interior mirror and rely on the door mirrors, as long as you have door mirrors each side there is no need for an interior mirror, you could actually cover it over and use the door mirrors.
-
Driving data, since start doesn't reset automatically
As far as I know there is no way to reset 'Since Start' There are three driving data stats, they all include the following: Mileage, Total Time, Average Fuel Consumption. Since Start which records continuously until the car is stopped for more than 2 hours, any stop less than 2 hours is ignored. Since refueling - which as you have said resets automatically when the car is refuelled. Long term which resets when one of the registers overflows either 9999 miles or 99hours and 59 minutes, as the register is only 4 digits. There is also the trip odometer which is only reset manually and is not the Since Start mileage. Could you be looking at the Trip Odometer as this can be reset manually an cannot be reset automatically. Are you looking at the driving data on the Infotainment screen or the virtual dash - all three sets of stats can be viewed on the Infotainment screen via the CAR button.
-
Tyre Review Comparison tool
I used this tool to as an aid to decide which All Season Tyres to purchase for our Fabia and Karoq. It allows you to choose up to 4 tyres and compares each tyres ratings in specific areas, I wanted a an All Season that suited the weather in central and southern England where we no longer get snow but we do get a lot of rain. Compare Tyres Direct Tyre Comparisons - Tyre Reviews And Ratings For my Karoq I choose the Turanza 6 over the Cross Climate because the wet ratings were better and it was cheaper than the Continental and it had a better rim protection buffer. On the Fabia Continentals were fitted because it had the better wet weather ratings, the Turanza wasn't available for the Faboia size.
-
Tyres
After a screw penetrated the sidewall of the OSF tyre rendering it beyond repair, I fitted a pair of Bridgestone Turanza 6 All Season tyres. Research conducted previously suggested the Turanzas would be a better all rounder than the Cross Climates that I’d had 3 sets of on my previous car. I intend to buy another pair for the rear when they need replacing later in the year. Comparison of Cross Climates, Turanza 6 and Continental All Season tyres. The screw that caused the problem.8 The rim protector buffer on the Turanza 6, not the best angle to show it. Early days yet, don’t seem any noisier than the Duellers (which I still have on the rear), steering feel is fine, haven’t really tested the grip - I’m not expecting them to spin on tarmac as the I never got the Duellers to spin either. They have a good rim protection buffer, as shown in the photo, which is important with 19” rims.
-
Digital service record
I’ve found the same thing, especially if it’s warranty work or you for a service plan. I asked for more detail about a warranty entry and the dealer service advisor printed off the invoice which listed the parts fitted which was what I really wanted to have a record of. If it’s work you paid for you’d have the full invoice.
-
fuel efficiency on my 2015 fabia
With the 110 bhp the DSG changes up very early and gets into 7th by 40 mph (65kph approx). The 5 door saloon is lighter than the station wagon, winter tyres, cold weather don’t help. Our Fabia is low mileage 21,000 miles from new, always use Shell V Power super unleaded 99 octane. Have you had the spark plugs changed recently and the air filter. I’m guessing if you are running winter tyres you are in a cold climate so oil takes longer to warm up and is thicker until warm.
-
fuel efficiency on my 2015 fabia
We have a 2015 1.2 TSI 110bhp Fabia DSG, my partners car, she gets around 45 mpg on mainly short 4-6 mile trips, which does include many 1/2 mile 70 mph dual carriageways, but she doesn't usually do more than 55. When I have taken it on longer runs its (70 mph motorways) it can manage 50-55mpg, but not usually any better. Tyre pressures make a difference - the higher ECO pressures, which we use, can get an extra 2 - 3 mpg. I think anything above 55 mpg would require a steady 50 mph for a whole journey.
-
Reversing Camera Image
Thanks there’s some interesting stuff there.