Skip to content

thamestrader

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by thamestrader

  1. There’s a YouTube video that provides one possible explanation. Basically there is too much grease in the stalk mechanism that can conduct a current causing the wipers to operate even when switched off. I suppose it’s possible that using the indicators could displace some grease and also complete a circuit to allow the wipers to operate. The occasional ranfkm operation when left in Auto mode I think could be caused the camera that senses rain being fooled by dust particles and random water droplets from a passing cars screen washers.
  2. I should also add that I have previously ‘validated’ the ‘Since refuelling MPG’ with brim-to-brim fuelling and the figures were within 0.5 miles per gallon, so I that’s good enough for me.
  3. This particular trip is done regularly over the last 10 years. Outbound is south on the M1 and east on M25, prevailing wind is from the west and outbound is generally better mpg. I leave the aircon (climate control) set to auto and just vary the actual temp setting currently 20c , when the weather cools down it will be lowered to 17/18. @Gerrycan I’d agree the 1.0 or 1.5 would have probably exceeded 60 mpg under similar conditions. I was predominantly in the left most lane, fewer vehicles, the three lanes to the right weren’t moving much faster and had many more vehicles on. What I did notice was when an artic container lorry pulled in after overtaking the instantaneous mpg jumped from 50 ish to 70 to 80 on the flat.
  4. Sisted-in-law asked me to check the tyres in her 2017 1.2 110 bhp SE Fabia, as I often do when we visit her. I removed the factory steel spare wheel, which is full size and fitted with the same size tyre as the four alloy wheels; 185/60 R15. But it’s had thd yellow 80km/h speed restriction sticker like the skinny space saver spare. Anyone any idea why?
  5. Best mpg I’ve recorded with my 2023 2.0 TSI Sportline, 52.2 mpg on a 56 mile trip M25 & M1, running at 55-60 mph mostly. Outbound trip this morning was 44.1 mph at similar speeds. I’ve just started using Shell VPower unleaded could this be a factor or just coincidence.
  6. We own both dry and wet clutch DSG cars, 2015 and 2023 respectively, the 2015 dry clutch doesn’t have autohold only hill hold, so the operation is not identical, the dry clutch car is fractionally slower engaging the drive from stationary, but creeps on idle sand as the wet clutch car.
  7. Correct - I’ve not found the clutches to slip when crawling in traffic at idle rpm. I drive many manual cars, vans minibuses and they will all crawl on the level in first gear totally feet off the clutch and throttle. The DSG is no different. My last DSG VW did 108,000 miles and the was as good as the day I bought it new.
  8. I’ve driven DSG cars since 2013. My approach is to let run at whatever rpm the engine idles at, when you apply the brakes to come to a halt the clutches will disengage. Have autohold ON and the parking brake will come on. Try to leave a slightly bigger gap to the vehicle in front, you will soon work out what size gap is right. When vehicles in front start to move tap the throttle to release the parking brake, let the car start rolling before pressing the throttle more. That’s the reason for allowing a bigger gap, I also react to the brake lights of vehicle ahead of the one in front. I have stop/start ON and this allows time for the engine to restart via a small wiggle of the steering wheel. If you don’t have auto hold you can control the restart with a slight reduction in brake pedal pressure, a further reduction if pedal pressure with engage the clutches and foot off the brake pedal the car starts moving then pressing the throttle. Many drivers seem to dislike stop/start, if only catches you out if you aren’t paying attention to what the engine is doing. There are a few rare situations when it does need tk be temporarily switched off, but it doesn’t damage the starter motor if kill the battery.
  9. Thus is the factory fit Space Saver spare, fitting kit and tools in my 4x4 Sportline. It’s a shallow wheel well due to different rear suspension and rear axle. 2wd Karoqs may have a lower boot floor. It’s a 125/70 R18 tyre. The boot floor it’s on the polystyrene and is approximately 1 inch below the opening.
  10. The Gel is only any good for a slow puncture, it’s a limp you home measure. Many tyre fitting companies will not repair a tyre that’s had the Gel or some other temp solution injected. Remember a Space saver should not be used on the front axle - so use the space saver on the back and put the good back wheel on the front. The TPMS will alert you to a low pressure but unless it’s a pressure monitoring valve it will only alert after the pressure has dropped by around 10 psi. If you have the Gel then you have a pump so you can often do a pump and go sequence.
  11. Choosing an All Season tyre, which has a different compound mix and slightly more flexible sidewalls, will also improve the ride, especially when combined with the 45 profile.
  12. Does anyone know of a way to permanently relocate to the graphic that displays on the left of the screen, I know it can be temporally hidden. I've always been careful, liking to verify/cross check the camera image with the nearside door mirror. I caught the shadow of the hidden post. This is the full image. This what the door mirror showed.
  13. If there is corrosion on the pistons pushing the pads out then they will go out with pedal pressure but can be reluctant to return. A previous car I had used sliding calipers (doubt the Karoq has these but) and one side wasn’t sliding hence the majority of braking effort, pad wear and disc wear was on one side of the disc.
  14. Generally one disc wearing excessively compared to the other side suggests that the pads could be sticking.
  15. Further to my earlier reply. I have now been able to download thd data files and load them Into excel. Not sure what I’ll do with long term though.
  16. To explain my user name. This is a model of a Thames Trader, a truck made by the Ford Motor Company between 1957 and 1963. From 1964 to 1971 I spent every Saturday and most school holidays riding in the passenger seat of the vehicle my model is based one. So I’m afraid not a dealer ship in Slough.
  17. The Service Manager at my local Skoda dealer, she’s been there about 12 months, has very good customer relation skills. I know some dealerships come in for criticism, especially on service costs, but to be fair all the service people at my dealer provide good customer service. I much prefer it to the “atmosphere” in their sister VW dealership in the same building, where you have to go to reception and then seem to processed as though on a conveyor belt - very impersonal.
  18. Popped into my local Skoda dealer service dept, to see if their laser alignment equipment had been repaired. Saw there were some nice Skoda pins on the desk, asked if could have one and was offered the drinks bottle as well. Haven’t tried it in the cup holder yet though.
  19. Have you searched for Alcantara within the Karoq forum, as I'm sure someone posted about wear or keeping them clean this year. I have the standard Sportline seats and they are really comfortable, many owners say they are much more comfortable/supportive than the standard seats but don't know how they compare to the electric seats . I have found that cargo trousers with Velcro pocket flaps can quickly pluck the fabric of the standard seats - so that may be another reason for Leather. If your going for a 2L engine keep an eye on the list price and the £40K threshold for the higher (extra £600 per year) VED rate.
  20. WD40 Silicone spray (not WD40 Multi-purpose lubricant) sprayed on the vertical channels that the windows run in can help.
  21. Data 260701.pdf The above pdf is the result of loading the data file received into Excel and linking in the Data Dictionary information. This is a Nerds paradise! That owners can get the data from the portal without using the My Skoda App, is interesting - the data dictionary contained at least 10 times as many data items as I received, there are a lot of data items related to EV and Hybrids in terms of usage (consumption, distance time etc).
  22. UPDATE July 1st 2026 The Monthly file was produced and I downloaded it. I include a snapshot from the file... { "vin": "TMBME7NUxxxxxxxx", "user_id": "97f12df1-ede0-4506-9526-cefb8c9bd98e", "Data": [ { "key": "fc0dab76-59ca-31bd-8845-e4b39d485b71", "dataFieldName": "locked_state__rear_left_door", "value": "2", "timestampUtc": "2026-06-29T19:41:58.000Z" }, { "key": "be03dca4-16fb-3072-82bd-17064bd423b9", "dataFieldName": "tyre_pressure_actual_front_right", "value": "1", "timestampUtc": "2026-06-29T19:41:58.000Z" }, { "key": "21e084ad-51bf-3461-a521-49a544720c91", "dataFieldName": "locked_state_front_right_door", "value": "2", "timestampUtc": "2026-06-29T19:41:58.000Z" }, { "key": "8d4cb2b4-a4f5-3285-9cc4-fc6709ada6fd", "dataFieldName": "oil_level_total_max", "value": "1.0", "timestampUtc": "2026-06-29T19:41:58.000Z" }, { "key": "a3368611-8c63-3b7d-9d19-148a464c7a7b", "dataFieldName": "oil_level_actual_level", "value": "100.0", "timestampUtc": "2026-06-29T19:41:58.000Z" }, { "key": "053496dc-0a8e-3e0c-93fd-055e622d3f99", "dataFieldName": "bem_level", "value": "0", "timestampUtc": "2026-06-29T19:41:58.000Z" }, { "key": "6810b781-e54a-35e8-af98-fcdefb54bac6", "dataFieldName": "outside_temperature", "value": "2941", "timestampUtc": "2026-06-29T19:41:58.000Z" }, { "key": "1e4d13b5-ce70-3429-a545-796f40775f92", "dataFieldName": "tyre_pressure_required_front_left", "value": "1", "timestampUtc": "2026-06-29T19:41:58.000Z" }, The Request file is still under investigation. I was asked to request gain via a different browser, which prompted me to ask if it was possible to access the Data Portal via a laptop browser rather than the through the My Skoda App - and Ive been sent the U|RL which is much easier to use with a mouse and keyboard..
  23. UPDATE ................ Its not working yet. I've not received any files. I have updates to the latest version of the App (8.13) which no discernable difference, I've been in contact with Skoda Customer Care who put me in touch with the IT Tech Support Team. On 12 Jun 2026, at 15:49, CARD R: ALL, EU Data Act inquiries <[email protected]> wrote: Dear Customer, The issue with the delayed file retrieval is now resolved. Users should now receive the first files within 24 hours of their request. If you have created a request more than 24 hours ago, but still didn't receive any files, please let us know. Regards, Volkswagen Group Info Services EU data act support team Sent: 13 June 2026 22:47 To: CARD R: ALL, EU Data Act inquiries <[email protected]> Subject: Re: Information about Delayed Requests Hi, I am still not receiving files. Regards Norman Sent: 26 June 2026 13:37 To: norman Cc: CARD R: ALL, EU Data Act inquiries <[email protected]> Subject: Re: Information about Delayed Requests Hello, Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Group Info Services AG. To assist you further, could you please provide additional details, including the VIN number(s), relevant screenshots, and any other information that may help us better understand the issue? When was the last time you requested vehicle data? If it was longer than a week ago, could you please try again today and let me know how it goes? We look forward to your response. Fred Eaton Support Engineer On behalf of Volkswagen Group Info Services AG Sent: 28 June 2026 22:55 To: CARD R: ALL, EU Data Act inquiries <[email protected]> Subject: RE: Information about Delayed Requests Hello, Please find below the current situation. In on 6th June I requested the Customised data file monthly and included all the applicable clusters, my car is Petrol so the EV Charging cluster was not included, I also requested the Historic data file. None of these files have every appeared. I included screen shots showing request date and progress 24 hours and 48 hours later. The response on 29/6/2026 14:04 was Hello, Thank you for that additional data. Yes, the information provided on the screenshots as well as in your email has helped us to troubleshoot. On our end we can corroborate what you are seeing so far. Our next step will be to see if the extraction listed as the 1st of July will come as indicated. I will check back with you in two days to see if there are any changes. In the meantime, please feel free to update here if you receive any other changes or data on your end. Thank you! Fred Eaton Support Engineer On behalf of Volkswagen Group Info Services AG It would appear that they can see the files aren't being produced......... I've no idea if I'll be able to use the data if I get it, I was just curious .........
  24. If you have the wiper stalk set to Auto, which mine is permanently set to, the is the occasional random wiper sweep due to the sensor picking up something. You can adjust the sensitivity on the stalk. I have noticed in this heatwave and high humidity that it’s been doing it more frequently. Is suspect that with air con on there might be tiny condensation drops forming or moisture in the air that the sensor picks up. My previous VWdid much the same during the 11 years I owned it. The other issue with wipers is randomly refusing to switch off or coming on in the Off position but still working normally at the other stalk positions. Usually the only way to stop it is to switch the ignition off or remove the fuse for the wiper motor. Strangely refitting the fuse can fix the problem. I’ve read that this can happen when the wiper motor needs to reset the park position. Finally there is the fault that requires a new stalk, our Fabia has this fault, it’s apparently something to do with lubricating grease on the contacts in the stalk, happened twice last time was 18 months ago.
  25. I’ve seen posts saying a replacement headlight unit is around £900. It seems the indicator LEDs can fail and thus require a replacement headlight. Luckily they are covered by the 3 yr and the All -in-1 warranty.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.