Everything posted by CookieMonster87
-
Satin Black powder Coated Extreme Alloys 19"
That’s what it is looking like. I won’t be able to restore the profile however it should be much less noticeable when all one colour. The other 3 are spot on bar the odd bit of white worm corrosion. Just need to decide on a colour. Torn between gloss black and a gunmetal/anthracite colour. Really like the grey from the current Fiesta ST.
-
Satin Black powder Coated Extreme Alloys 19"
@Dooge if you’re after black then I’d recommend these from Kopacek (formerly Super Skoda). They also have a vRS Honeycomb design and original, non-painted, centre caps available. https://www.kopacek.com/skoda/wheels/center-wheel-caps-with-new-2012-logo-original-skoda-autoas-monte-carlo-black-version-f9r @MO230 unfortunately the wife had the repair done while I was away working and I was unaware. I’ve used the repairer on previous cars without any issue but I think he’s dropped the ball with this one. Should have either declined the repair or advised to go to a place that does diamond cutting refurbishments. I feel he’s taken advantage of my wife not having a clue what a diamond cut wheel is. Annoyingly the cost of a full refurbishment (tyre off, stripped, repaired and powdercoat) would have only been slightly more expensive.
-
Huge jump in premium!
Wow, how do they get away with this?! I bet your excess was higher than the repair cost too. I know mine would have been in this case.
- Satin Black powder Coated Extreme Alloys 19"
-
Satin Black powder Coated Extreme Alloys 19"
@nidza I also prefer the diamond cut look. Unfortunately with the repair that’s already been done I can no longer have that wheel re-diamond cut. So my options are to either replace the wheel (bear in mind all 4 have some minor signs of white worm so would benefit from a refund anyway) or have all 4 powder coated. Eventually the diamond cut will show up the white worm corrosion so the powder coating will give more longevity.
-
Huge jump in premium!
Morning all, just had my renewal through from Direct Line. Last year I paid £324, my premium quotes for renewal is £472. That’s quite a hike even with the rise in inflation. Are insurance companies taking the proverbial with their renewals in the hope people will just accept thinking that “it’s just another bill going up” or are they seriously being affected by the current state of affairs (i.e. repair materials and labour cost rise etc)?
-
Satin Black powder Coated Extreme Alloys 19"
@MO230 replied to your thread but it’s a thumbs up from me! @Tazdaz thanks for the photos, that may have swayed me as I’ve been put off by the satin and gloss black as you appear to loose all definition of the wheel. I need to see if the area that’s been sanded back during the previous repair can be restored and sanded back to the correct profile. Will post some pictures tomorrow in the daylight.
-
Bronze alloys on a Black vrs...
Do it! I think that is a lovely colour personally and would certainly be different. On the example you’ve given the spokes are relatively thin so you should get a similar affect on the Xtremes albeit with the different spoke pattern. I think if the spokes were much wider, as per the Mk IV vRS wheels, it’d be too much.
-
Satin Black powder Coated Extreme Alloys 19"
@Tazdaz @Fuzzarr thanks both for the replies. Pictures would be much appreciated when you’ve had the work done. Interesting to read your experiences with the satin. One of the reasons I was considering satin is that you don’t seem to loose as much of the wheels definition compared to the black gloss. I’m also keen on gloss anthracite. The place I’ve enquired with do a nice Audi anthracite colour that’s a similar shade to/a bit darker than the standard Gemini’s. I haven’t seen many examples of refurbished Gemini’s, plenty of the Xtremes though, understandably on British roads these days.
-
2818 ŠKODA Octavia VRS TDI just bought
For a TDI that seems a bit low unless you have just been doing shorter journeys and/or stuck in traffic. As you’ve only just got it I’d fill it up and reset all the trip data and see what you get from a full tank. I’m seeing high 40 to mid 50 mpg in a TDI vRS. I tend to do longer runs on A/B roads these days.
-
Satin Black powder Coated Extreme Alloys 19"
Evening all. Sorry to resurrect a slightly older thread. How are you @D1CKO and @Tazdaz getting on with the Satin Black finish on your wheels and what made you choose the Satin over Gloss? I’m currently on the fence on whether to replace a curbed wheel or have all 4 refurbished. They all show signs of the “white worm” corrosion on the diamond cut face but aside from that 3 have no other signs of wear and tear. Unfortunately the wife curbed one and had it repaired while I was away working. Annoyingly the repairer sanded back the scuff damage, losing the definition of the detail on the wheel, then painted the face/edge silver meaning it can no longer have a diamond cut refurb. The paint they used is starting to flake away also. I appreciate she meant well however I wish she’d have left it until I got back or at least told me so that I could have arranged to get a proper diamond cut repair done. As much as I like the diamond cut anthracite wheels, for the price of 1 Gemini I could pretty much get them all powder coated which is a no brainier to me.
-
ECU update?
So having taken the car for a long drive using both Normal and Sport modes (I never use Eco) I can’t say as I’ve noticed a great change if any. In Sport the throttle is more responsive and the car holds the revs higher when using the throttle. It’ll change up around 3.5-4k rpm unless I hold the throttle for a long period. In Normal it’ll change a lot sooner unless I put my foot to the floor. I have noticed that when in Sport with CC activated the car will shift through to 6th fairly quickly. I don’t recall it doing this before as I used to complain about how high it held the revs when cruising. I don’t recall if the car downshifted when I changed to Sport unless I was on the throttle however I did think it changed down quicker when the car slowed. These observations may purely be because I’m now looking for it as opposed to not really giving it much thought/attention before. Hopefully someone will come along with a bit more info on this, ideally someone who’s booked in for a DSG service that can do a thorough before and after comparison.
-
ECU update?
To be honest, since it’s DSG service, I haven’t driven the car that much to notice a change. Then again I haven’t been switching between driving modes. I’ve got a long commute this week so I’ll have a play with the driving modes and get back to you with any observations.
-
DPF Oil Ash and Soot Level Advice
I wish they did this app for IOS. I think I’m going to get myself a cheap Android or raid the “random stuff drawer” to see if there’s an old one in there as I’ve always been curious as to the health of my DPF. No issues so far mind.
-
ECU update?
Car went in for it’s DSG service last week and the dealership informed me that they would also be doing an ECU software update. Anyone else had this carried out recently and any the wiser as to what the update is for? The car is a FL vRS TDI DSG and was last serviced about 9 months ago to give an idea of how recently the update has been released.
-
Doug's Race Blue VRS wagon
Congratulations! This was the reason for me purchasing my first Octavia 😂 Mines in for a DSG service next week as it’s just ticked over 40k miles. Is this purely an oil change or do they do a software check/update and did you notice a change post service?
-
Random beeping noise and unusual wires (Skoda 2014 mk3)
It’s not an old police/ambulance car by any chance? @a1topdog may be able to help although I appreciate his project is a Mk1.
-
Doug's Race Blue VRS wagon
I feel your pain. Fortunately I’ve avoided any curbing on my Gemini however the diamond cut parts are beginning to show a bit of the “white worm” corrosion plus I have a stone chip on one. Was thinking of going black also, debating having them diamond cut too. IIRC someone on the forum had this done however I haven’t seen a photo of them fitted. One good thing about having black wheels is that you can get the black Skoda centre caps from Kopacek. These don’t tend to corrode like the silver ones and wouldn’t look out of place unlike on the anthracite/silver wheels.
-
Anything I can do to improve the DSG on an 18 plate VRS?
Agree with all the comments ref the DSG on the TDI vRS. Changes up too soon, sluggish unless in sport and when you do drive in sport it holds the revs too high for normal driving. DSG service is due at the next service interval so I’ll be asking about the SW. I don’t think it’s a fault. Could potentially be down to emissions regulations?
-
Thoughts on a switch to hybrid.
There is a general consensus that unless you do in excess of 15k miles a year then a diesel isn’t for you. I’m doing less than 10k miles but the journeys I am doing are in excess of 80 miles usually. The Corolla isn’t a Plug In Hybrid, not sure if that changes things.
-
Honda New Type R 2015 prices , spec and release dates
I love the look of the new FL5. They have toned down the styling, it’s a bit less “in your face” and the aero q’s serve a purpose. Nice. Still not keen on the triple exhaust though and much prefer those on the FK2. Would still take this over a Golf R.
-
Thoughts on a switch to hybrid.
Also, unless something went drastically wrong, would the cost of diesel/maintenance over the same period be offset with a newer, hybrid petrol car? With my reduced mileage am I likely to incur DPF issues sooner? The car isn’t used much during the week and when it is my trips tend to be in excess of 80 miles.
-
Doug's Race Blue VRS wagon
Afraid I can’t help you with the swap on the Octavia but I went the other way with my old Astra VXR and had the half leather seats fully re-trimmed in leather to match the car. Yes it looked great but after a while the leather sagged in the old foam seats and I found it uncomfortable in hot/cold extremes so I can see where you are coming from. I believe there are variations on the seat spec for the FL, with half leather/faux alcantara/heating options available depending on your budget. Having said that I really like the standard cloth seats in my vRS. At 5 years old they are showing no signs of wear. They clean up nicely too using Autoglym Interior Shampoo although I haven’t got around to treating them to a protectant for that practical element yet!
-
Thoughts on a switch to hybrid.
This would be the Corolla Cross, not GR Sport trim. Most likely the same engine but the Cross will be bigger and heavier. I believe the Yaris Cross is about 120kg heavier than the Yaris. Good question and one I’ll be pressing the dealership over. I’m also in no rush to part with the Octavia, if at all.
-
Thoughts on a switch to hybrid.
Thanks for the links. No mention of the GR Sport trim though. I have read some of the early reviews of the 2023 model. I’m going to test drive the current 2.0 Corolla in the next couple of weeks and get a feel for the size and see what the trim is like although I wouldn’t put pen to paper on anything until I’d seen the ‘23 car in the flesh and driven it.