Everything posted by gav_is_con
-
1st service or oil change?
You got me thinking after this post. I am the go to for family and friends with VAG cars. Brother in law had his Audi A5 TDI done with these guys, who I used to use about 20 years ago to service our Golfs. Juat as a bench mark the price of a full service is very good and they actually replace everything listed. Due to COVID they dropped the Pollen filter change and reduced the price by about £20, but compared to main dealer it’s an absolute bargain. Plus they update and provide a printout from the Audi computer/history system. A good independent really is worth finding.
-
1st service or oil change?
To answer your question 19 months old. Book it in if you don’t want to leave it so long rather than waiting the full 24 months.
-
1st service or oil change?
I have my own system with any of my VAG group cars over the years still have 3 in the house. It’s been discussed here also. I only ask for an oil service becoming quite rare now at dealers. Thankfully my Skoda one and I convinced a Seat one to do just that, supplying my own oil and filter, genuine parts of course. They do that and also a free health check(as good as an inspection) and wash/vac for around £60-80. That’s included picking the car from my house and dropping it back. My book gets stamped too. Air and pollen filters I do myself, brake fluid and fuel filters I always pay whatever they ask all inc parts to replace. Just personal choice about how dirty I want to get my hands. When you compare on paper the major and minor service I don’t see you get that much to justify the near double cost. Even always going for minor and then paying the extra for the odd filter may work out cheaper. Even with air filters I replace a lot more aggressively than the advised intervals. Pollen 2 years or 1 again your choice.
-
1st service or oil change?
Annual oil and filter based on your mileage and usage all the way. Variable is made for fleet owners watching costs.
-
AUX input missing
I may have confused the situation in that the unit plays mp3 disks rather than the whole aux thing in case of Stream MP3
-
AUX input missing
Can you actually read the name off the front of the stereo in the car. It will say Stream or Stream MP3 a quick google shows it In attached
-
AUX input missing
I don’t think it was standard in 2005. Is your head unit a Stream or Stream MP3? I seem to recall when I had a Stream fitted it had an aux option but never did anything. I have an Audience 6 disk unit now and never did get around to sorting the aux. I just use a FM modulator.
-
Diesel Fuel leak right side of engine near air box
All, Interesting one on the 175k miler Octy today. went for local drive at 16:15 and had the windows open nice warm day. kept smelling diesel. assumed it was an external issue on the roads, first hot day in a while on the local roads. Got back home through some local slowish traffic thought I would park up and check the engine bay. Low and behold the airbox was caked in diesel fuel and most of that side of the car. Started it up and fuel was squirting from the small length of rubber hose that is fed from the fuel filter across the top of the engine in metal and converts into a small rubber hose into what might be the Tandem Pump on the right side of the engine. I knew it would be a simple fix just replace the bit of hose and 2 of those weird hose clamps VW group use on everything. I chickened out and called the AA and they came out observed the same issue and struggled to remove the pipe as one side of the clamp/clip could not be squeezed open, so needed to be taken off with some force. New slightly lesser diameter generic pipe put in place cut to size and new clamp went on one end as a jubilee clip gave up as soon as it was tightened up. Car was started without issue except a slight gurgling I heard when it primed when I put the ignition on. Taking a look at the faulty part the hose gave way right next to the hose clip on one end, I even think it was the end with the broken clip, perhaps that was the cause I asked the AA Patrol to clean up the diesel that had fallen down onto the gearbox, he said there was not much and just used some tissue to dry some of it saying the rest would evaporate etc. I was told it was the inlet side of the fuel system and the other side is operated at much higher pressures. I could not find another post on the subject on the forum Worth keeping an eye out on older cars maybe its an age thing these parts perishing?