Skip to content

Rory

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Rory

  1. Rory replied to Chrystal's topic in Skoda Karoq
    When you say "Skoda" do you mean Skoda themselves, or a dealership? We had the update on our 22 Karoq, but also our 2018 Ateca (which, of course, is the same car) done at its last service in Sept 25. So I'd be surprised if your car doesn't need it.
  2. Don't know on the sensitivity - ours is oversensitive, too keen to go into continuous mode. On the rear wiper, been discussed before and seems it may need to be coded out. I'd agree with the advice to change the rear wiper to Bosch - don't notice ours working.
  3. Hmmm....I'm quite sensitive to this as I had a Merc which always started in 2nd, then would shift to 1st with an un-Mercedes like thunk if you were "brisk" with it. Our Karoq always shifts to 1st as it stops. It'll stay in second if you keep moving at all, but once stopped it always goes to 1st.
  4. Is it a facelift one? Odd they would be different. Ours is on Michelin Primacy 18" tyres. Drives fine with them at 2.1bar
  5. Can't be bothered to go outside now, but Googling for "Karoq tyre pressure label" shows one with 2.1bar and another with 2.5bar for 18" wheels. Yet they're both 2.4 for 19" wheels.
  6. It's 2.1 bar on ours - I converted it to psi. April 22 car, just before the facelift. I don't know if that's unusual for Karoq, but don't know why it would be? I thought it was too low and put 2.5bar (36psi) in and the car became a right handful out of junctions - we have to turn out of our village onto a fast A road and you sometimes just have to go for a gap. It did the same with super unleaded fuel too. Grip will always be worse in cold weather too.
  7. Ours (really wife's car, and she doesn't use it much) does it sometimes. It's a bit weird as if you try and provoke it with different types of starts it doesn't do it. Then don't think about it, and it'll judder. It seems not to do it with the gearbox in Sport mode, but I just don't drive it enough to pin it down. I'm not 100% convinced it isn't the tyres. It's very easy to provoke front wheel spin - I've found they're sensitive to pressure - should be 31psi, put 36 in them and they go mad.
  8. The earlier kessy fob that use CR2025 take more current when being operated than a CR2025 is specified for. I've found Energiser batteries always worked, whereas it was random with other brands, even Duracell.
  9. I'm not doing brim to brim - well I do, but it varies with type of use, and it's hard to replicate as you're not supposed to literally fill to the brim - I'm cumulative totalling the amount of fuel bought and the mileage. I've been doing that on the Karoq for 10K miles, so it's pretty constant now.
  10. Hmmm...Googling suggests fuel injected quantity is accurate to "a few % in lab conditions". So it's going to be worse in practise. Forecourt fuel pumps are accurate to 0.5% - they're checked regularly due to excise duty on fuel. I've done cumulative MPG over 10K miles so that negates any brim to brim errors. The only unknown error the odometer, but that will apply to the car's own calculation too.
  11. I spreadsheet the MPG in our Karoq and since we got the car it's done just under 10K miles and its cumulative average MPG is 38. The cluster display in the car says 42.
  12. I don't understand why it's not in the service plans - unless, in VW Group's eyes, it doesn't really need doing. Especially now they've moved to 2yr intervals, and new car, approved used, and All In service plans all run for 2yr periods where dealers will insist on fixed interval servicing, there's absolutely no reason why a brake fluid change couldn't be incorporated. We had a Mitsubishi and the 2yr service includes it, and it's also included with our Hyundai. Same with a Merc I had on a service plan.
  13. Hmm - we had a 2016 Tiguan and that was 3yrs. The dealer forgot to mention it, and thought the Haldex was 4 yrs, when it had been 3yr for some time. So they did both FOC. Here's a generic 2021 Skoda service price list from elsewhere in the forum showing first BF change at 3yrs, then 5, 7yrs etc.
  14. Thanks - I get the same price as you did. I tried an older model and that gets the higher price. I wondered if it recognises the request as implausible on a 25 model?
  15. Well that's weird - here's what I get from Mitchell's (via the Skoda website): What car are you using to check (model and age)? I'm using our 22 Karoq. They also quoted £80 on the phone for our Kamiq.
  16. I've always been in two minds abour whether brake fluid change is simply a rip-off, and it's always miffed me with VW service plans that the brake fluid change isn't included. Quite how they get away with this on "All In" is a mystery to me. I notice it is now included on EVs (the intro of which has caused VW to change the first change to 2yrs from 3). Last time I refused it at £80 and when I picked the car up the dealer said they'd done it as goodwill - some justification that the servicing had got messed up as they did a longlife service as the car's first service. Using the Skoda website for my local dealer brake fluid change now adds an incredible £108.52 to the cost. I wondered what Audi charge, so used a random Q3 registration - local dealer £52 and all the local Audi dealers (the Audi site shows the pricing for them all) are in the £50-£60 range.
  17. Hmm...the operation of the clutch in a DSG isn't within the control of the user. OK, you could abuse it, but it would take sustained deliberate intent to do it - the gearbox electronics should take care of the clutch. On the SEAT forum someone sued their dealer over a clutch failure in an early 1 litre manual at low mileage - they got an expert to say it should last 75K miles and they won in full. I'm gobsmacked there's any issue on a 33K mile DSG. The car is much newer and has a different engine to clutch slip article above. Are you sure the dealer has asked, and, of so, appealed? I just had a heater panel replaced on our 7yr old 90K mile Ateca under All In - it had crackled where the heated seat buttons are. Dealer initially said no, I asked them to ask again and All In came back and said yes. Job cost was £888. The knocking noise you're hearing might be the suspension piston knocking in the bump stops. Ours does it - it's a known thing and they grease the pistons and it stops for a while then comes back. It's most noticeable when the car is loaded and making slow turns. If it's not that, then there's a whole bunch of other known suspension noises, including the strut top mounts.
  18. I just cancelled one after only four months (not used it at all). The guy I was speaking to didn't offer to refund and when I asked he said they don't refund. Bit of back and forth and eventually he said he'd make a goodwill payment. I was expecting 1 month or something, but he calculated the four monhtly payments - in other words, the whole amount I've paid. I've immediately taken another All In plan at the Black Friday pricing.
  19. My wife had one of the last of the mk1 Tiguans in 2015, so it had the then new 150PS Diesel with Ad Blue, with DSG and 4Motion. She switched to the 1.5 150PS DSG Karoq a couple of years ago. Her use is exactly the same - semi-rural trips of a few miles to the shops, picking grandchildren up from school etc. I spreadsheet the MPG and the long-term average is exactly the same - 38MPG. Of course the Tiguan was 4Motion, and for most of its life it used V-Power, then switched to Costco stuff. Use standard Costco petrol in the Karoq.
  20. Our Karoq has the retractable cover, but we also have an Ateca with a hard shelf and I didn't recognise those rests and sure enough they're not there. Instead there's a lip for the shelf to rest on. Odd how VW Group would make such changes in what are basically the same car, made in the same factory.
  21. Bit odd that stop/start would work if the battery is iffy - mostly people complain it hardly ever works. Bit of a faff if you're both working so probably not worth it now, but if it fails again you could call Skoda Assist - if it needs to go into a dealer they can jump the queue.
  22. Thanks, but I meant the first 3yr one, when the car turned 3yrs old. It doesn't seem like there's any way to get that service covered unless you take All In the day the car turns 3 and then have the service late, which is always a bit iffy with VW Group cars. Plus you'd have to pay for the MOT to be done a little before the car was three.
  23. Did you manage to get the service and MOT at 3yrs old covered by All In? Got this coming up on one of our cars and it doesn't seem to be possible now it's all done on line as the system shows the original warranty in place so won't allow All In to be bought. We had a mk1 Tiguan when All In started and that was covered by extended warranty until it was 6. The dealer said the warranty couldn't be cancelled so I couldn't take the plan online but they somehow managed to wangle it to get All in to cover the 6yr service and MOT. That gave us warranty and assistance until the car was 8yrs old.
  24. I would argue that you don't need software updates on a car a few years old - the car has worked fine so far, and updating things could show up problems that weren't apparent before, just as happened with the EA189 diesel updates. I refused to let VW do an AdBlue update on our 7yr old Tiguan as it had never given a moments trouble up to then. We had cover on the Tiguan until it was 8yrs old and as soon as it finished I got rid of it and bought the Karoq. Just bought All In for the Karoq as it turned 3. Our 7yr old 90K mile 1.0 Ateca has just finished its All-In cover. Messed up a bit, as should have cancelled and re-bought before it was 6, but didn't intend to keep it. As it happens, the turbo actuator failed a few weeks ago and it was around £350 to get it replaced, so wouldn't have been too horrendous if I'd had to pay except, and this is what worries me about going to a dealer without warranty, if I'd been a cash paying customer they probably would have insisted the whole turbo needed to be replaced. Somewhat amazingly they also covered the cost of replacing the heater panel which looked like it had overheated where the heated switch buttons are. Dealer said "no chance" and blamed water damage! I pressed them to ask and it got approved. That cost £888! I will say the couple of times we've needed to use the Assistance package with All In it's been brilliant, with them suppling a hire car. If I was working I'd be miffed at how time consuming it was, but I'm retired so it didn't really matter. Anyway, decided to hang on to the Ateca - bought Britannia Rescue for breakdown cover through a comparison site for an amazing £24. Will just have to take a chance on repairs. In practice we hardly use the car, but live in a rural area and don't want to be down to one car.
  25. Rory replied to Bernardinho's topic in Skoda Karoq
    I drive daughter's Gen 2 Kona EV now and again, and was out in it today. I'd never really thought about it before, but it's certainly a more car-like than SUV driving position. No sense of the steering wheel on my thighs, although I was sitting a fair way back. I'm a shade over 6'.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.