Everything posted by Jono
-
DSG modes and gears-kickdown etc. ?gaslighting
The 2015 Scout and diesel VRS DSGs have the same setup, barring my lack of paddles. Depending on the "driving mode" selected via button, pulling back on the lever switches from E to S or D to S.
-
DSG modes and gears-kickdown etc. ?gaslighting
Thanks everyone. I'm generally talking about engaging S with the gearlever. It doesn't ever prompt a kickdown, even at tickover revs to prepare for an overtake, for example. Same behaviour should apply my changing the driving modes though - the only one that makes *any* difference at all now is "offroad mode" Which does hold a lower gear or drop a gear in some circumstances. S mode can no longer be used to provide gentle engine braking down a hill or for more control onto a roundabout. Apparently I use my gearbox "very different(ly) from the vast majority of customers" and rather than a defect, any changes could be "in the best interests of the car ... hence the update". Anyway, it's going back into the dealer. Giving them the benefit of the doubt they will acknowledge a problem and fix it, else I'll be asking advice about where to go from here. I've bought Skodas for >20 years and recruited no few friends to the brand. I have to say that prevaricating about the problem rather than being candid about it, is putting my loyalty on a knife-edge.
-
DSG modes and gears-kickdown etc. ?gaslighting
Just checking that I'm not going mad here... Moving from Economy or Drive at a steady speed or on approach to junction/roundabout into Sport would almost always kickdown a gear right? Feels a bit like I'm getting gaslit by a tech/service dept/Skoda suggesting that modes are just to do with throttle sensitivity mapping and upshift points, and the DSG might just need an adaptation of basic settings or to "relearn my driving style" for 500 miles and not that *it's screwed up* A recent ECU/DSG emissions update seems to have made all of the DSG modes into one (except off-road - that *does* still drop down a gear if at very low revs when engaged) TIA folks.
-
ECU update?
I'm increasingly sure something is wrong with my car. The driving modes seem to make zero difference, other than E allows for coating. Oddly "Offroad" mode does give changes, if engaged at low revs it will downshift in the way similar to how Sport mode *should* Dealers have extracted log files and I await their response.
-
DSG modes stopped working
I think I shall be popping in to discuss with the service manager. It's unacceptable to fundamentally change the car's behavior without the informed consent of the customer. Thanks for your help @varooom, this is exactly the kind of helpful info and advice I was after.
-
DSG modes stopped working
Not that I was told about. Under the boot floor I assume? On inspection, paperwork/receipt does list: 23AX 2020-02-05 S Engine Control Unit I did query the ECU update but was told that it wouldn't have any adverse effects...
-
ECU update?
By "Optimized" do they perhaps mean "Utterly Ruined"? @CookieMonster87Do you have anything funny going on where S mode has stopped behaving properly? Not downshifting when you go into it? It also feels to me like E is slow to upshift on my car since the update, it's happy to sit at higher revs.
-
DSG modes stopped working
Thanks for your condescending response, it's ace having such a helpful member of the community on hand. I'm sorry that you had difficulty understanding the problem. Perhaps I should have used more direct language. I noticed the car drove slightly differently - which I put down to the ECU update, and the car usually lives in D/E modes. Not that it's any of your business, but since then I've had more important things to do than posting on a forum thanks to hospital admissions and a potentially fatal illness in the family so , yeah, thanks for the snark matey, just what I needed. Is there anyone with any helpful input perhaps?
-
DSG modes stopped working
Hi All, A couple of weeks ago I had a service that included both an ECU update and a DSG oil service at a main dealer. It now seems that the DSG modes don't work. i.e., I can be sat at 1250rpm in Economy and changing to Sport does nothing, no downshift, no hanging onto gears longer. E still allows coasting where other modes do not, but that's it. Very weird. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this happening. I know the obvious answer is "Speak to the dealer", but if there is an easy fix, or a known explanation I can pre-emptively give to the dealer, that would be good! Thanks in advance!
-
"Coasting" in other modes than ECO?
when you’re in E mode and coasting I believe the clutches may still be slightly engaged just enough to put the engine into overrun mode and keep it running with no or hardly any fuel usage.# I strongly suspect this isn't the case. Coasting in neutral does burn tickover-amounts of fuel, but provides no engine-braking so is still more efficient overall than engine-braking with no fuel burned. I'd also put money on the reason for advice to not coast by shifting the lever to neutral is one of keeping proper-control of the vehicle and not a valid mechanical one.
-
ECU update?
Same here. They couldn't tell me what the update was for, or if there were any potential unforeseen effects. Not sure if it's a coincidence, or as a result of the DSG oil change they also did, but the DSG driving modes now do nothing i.e. pootle along in E at 1250rpm, pop it into sport, no downshift, nothing, behaves exactly the same. Economy also seems slower to upshift through the gears too. I'm unsure if fuel economy also adversely effected, seems like it, but not enough data yet to confirm.
-
IAT - Intake Air Temperature sensor - location and removal
Ah great, I see it now. Thankyou.
-
IAT - Intake Air Temperature sensor - location and removal
Thanks - my brain is struggling to parse where that is on the engine though! I'll have to have a root around!
-
IAT - Intake Air Temperature sensor - location and removal
Found it as per Sadly, much too small for my endoscope 😞
-
IAT - Intake Air Temperature sensor - location and removal
Hi, I'm being a bit dim and struggling to locate this and would appreciate tips for it's removal I want to pass in an endoscope to look for coolant as I see this has been a slow-leak culprit for others in the past. Thanks in advance!
-
UV tracer in coolant - safe, or daft idea?
For the past few thousand miles, my 2015 2.0TDI 184 Scout has been losing coolant at the rate of ~ 0.5ml/mile, and may be getting worse rather then better. I have failed to identify where from. Dealers have conducted a coolant system pressure test - Fine. I've done a sniff test which is inconclusive - there are no bubbles rising into the tank and after aaaaages there is possibly some colour change as the coolant , but no clear result like vids I've watched. No apparent super-pressurisation or contamination in the coolant. I suspect false-positive and I obviously want to eliminate everything else first! No traces of leakage around bottle, cap, hoses, or bits of the engine I can see, or collections in the undertray. I haven't pinned down if it's worse during any behavior (regen etc.) My waterpump failed early, so pump and cambelt were changed ~4 years ago, In an ideal world the leak would be from there and I'd get them replaced a smidge early (the plan for the car is to keep ~5 years) I have read *a lot* about coolant leaks on this engine and haven't sussed it. So..... My question is - Is there anything bad I should know about putting UV tracers in the coolant? Plan is to check everything first, in the dark, with a UV torch, clean everything up, then add a small amount of UV dye, increasing until I find the leak, or it's apparent that I'm not going to. If the leak is post-engine, EGR cooler or something, would I get the faintest trace in water vapour out of the exhaust? If I ran through an absorbent filter? Or is that a non starter?
-
Speed Limiter
If you want a workaround to stop you creeping too fast, you can set the winter-tyre max speed alarm to shout at you once you reach a chosen speed.
-
Coasting in Eco?
My nerdy spreadsheet suggest that eco saves me no more than 5%. Active eco-ing is likely a smidge slower too, so that might explain where the savings happen. It's more effective on my commute where I have the prior-knowledge to micromanage the coasting zones. Definitely a different drive and there *sorely* needs to be an option to easily flick from E to D, rather then E to S.
-
Mk3 coolant nightmare!
@Cactusjack Where did you use to do the work? I'm in Nottingham too and on the look out for a trustworthy independent since Dave at DSB in Bulwell closed the shutters 😞
-
Pressurised Coolant - Thoughts and Advice please?
Dear mods! I cant seem to delete this topic. I've reposted on Tech forums, so this can be pruned please.
-
Pressurised Coolant - Thoughts and Advice please?
Good morning ladies and gentlemen! I've had my coolant level alarm periodically, but very little apparent actual coolant loss. 65kMiles, ~6yr old 2L TDI 184 DSG Scout. Dealer has pressure tested the coolant system (2 bar for 30 min IIRC) and found no issue. Sometimes the level in the expansion bottle is low enough to alarm (but still some present). Sometimes this resolves after a warm restart (I guess due to expansion) I discovered that the expansion bottle was pressurised and opening the cap allowed the coolant back into the vessel. Coolant and oil both appear clean. Timing belt and water pump done early ~30k miles thanks to sticky valve. I have ordered a sniff-test to try to check for exhaust gases heading into the coolant, but since it's so slow I wouldn't necessarily trust a -ve result on this. My main priority is trying to avoid having any unnecessary work done. I don't want a new EGR, or new /skimmed head, or headgasket unless that's the solution, and I want to inform myself before it goes back to a dealer, so I'd value your advice. Depending on what's wrong, I'm not sure if there is a case for a grump at Skoda, I did report the problem a while ago, but might have been >5yr and/or >60k miles. Feels like they should be life-time parts, not consumables!
-
Insurers demanding license images for all named drivers. What is this new bull****?
It looks like Chris Knott have new insurers/underwriters who are making these demands. What a pain in the ass.
-
Insurers demanding license images for all named drivers. What is this new bull****?
I mean that about sums it up. Is this a widespread new thing, or do I need to ditch my broker to avoid this fresh *******s every year? Sending license details via unencrypted emails is plain sucky and having to do it at all is a right pain in the ass. Interesting that they have waited the best part of a month to get in touch. I was lazy and busy at renewal time and If I'd know this inconvenience was coming I might have looked harder elsewhere!
-
Can I get police accident report without paying £88?
Happened on this old post in the graveyard. Thank you for all the advice. In case anyone were interested it dragged on several months. I had Skoda e-sure (or whatever) handling a lot of liaison for me and they were very valuable. I used a repairer of my choice (VW centre) and a like-for-like hirecar - all of which meant I had to pay a considerable amount up-front. Nothing happened for a long time, insurers didn't request the police report, until finally at my insistence they did. In hindsight, I should have obtained it myself months earlier. I submitted photos of the roundabout's new layout (google was outdated) as well as photos of vehicle's rest location and a short vid of the other party's comments at the scene. I suspect the report differed significantly from the other party's account. Once shared, the other party's insurers immediately folded and paid in full for repairs, excesses, like-for-like hire-car and minor injury - just leaving me with higher premiums for 5 years.
-
Diamond cut alloy wheels usual corrosion, next step?
I have anthracite/polished Nivalis wheels that predate my 2016 Octavia Scout and they look awful. Debating relegating them to winter-tyre duty, but it seems a shame. It's literally just the diamond cut bits that are corroded and the laquer is falling off in sheets, the anthracite is fine, I'm wondering the differential cost of just repolishing and laquering the diamond cut bits or if this is even possible... I'm hoping that turning up somewhere with loose and pretty much undamaged wheels is going to make it less expensive that it otherwise might be. Any thoughts?