Everything posted by CJJE
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
Further update... It's now been determined that in Western Europe the MIB3 infotainment systems cannot use the USB port to update the maps, although Eastern European owners can. This is because the function has been disabled - officially because we have online updates for whichever country we are in. (Unofficially, to 'encourage' us to pay for the Infotainment Online service each year to get these updates?) This also prevents us adding radio logos to stations that do not display any - leaving a mix of stations with and without logos. Finally, web radio stations can only be accessed via the built-in eSIM if we pay for a Cubic Telecom data plan (7 Euro for 2GB/30 days, 15 Euro for 5GB/90 days, or 72 Euro for 25GB/365 days.) A work-around is to use your phone as a mobile hotspot and use its data allowance instead. (When I tried this, after months of failing to access web radio stations via the eSIM, it worked instantly.) What really annoys me is that there is no indication in the manual or other marketing literature telling me that I needed to do this! Chris
-
Karoq 1.5 or 2.0 TSi ?
I'm 6ft and 14 1/2 stone, and find the front seats fine, without even pushing it right back. There's less legroom in the back than my previous Golf SV had with its sliding rear seat right back, but we seldom carry passengers in the back so it's not a problem for us, and if the Golf's rear seat was slid forward to match the Karoq's boot space it would be pretty similar. Headroom is no problem in the front or rear.
-
Karoq facelift
I'd suspect more touchscreen controls like the Tiguan, Ateca etc. Which is a big turn off for me as I find them distracting and dangerous. In fact the Karoq's present controls are the reason I bought one rather than a Tiguan!
-
system update mib 3
As an update to Ber3linger's findings... When using the eSIM in my car, the web radio fails to download any categories, or stations. I then turned the eSIM off, and tried to connect to my home WiFi, but found its Network Security Settings were not supported by the car. So I then used my phone as a Mobile Hotspot, and connected the car to that. Bingo! The web radio station categories were quickly downloaded, and stations received! So I can receive web radio stations via my phone and its data allowance - which could be handy when in Europe and I want to listen to a UK radio station - but not via the built-in eSIM. I still think that this is not what Skoda UK stated in their marketing documents last summer, but will research further before challenging them. Chris
-
Karoq 1.5 or 2.0 TSi ?
The GROSS weight is indeed 2150kg - but that is an indication of its maximum weight when fully loaded. The kerb weight tells you how heavy it is on its own, or with a driver (depending which figure you use.
-
Headlamp washers karoq portugal
Looking at the pictures of Karoqs on the Skoda Portugal website, they seem to be shown on the Karoq Scout, but not the Sportline. I would have thought they have the same headlights, so it must be a cosmetic thing where they think the Scout should have them because it is more likely to get mucky headlights? VW often couple them with heated seats, but perhaps it's too warm where you are to need them!
-
Headlamp washers karoq portugal
According to Osram: "It is a widespread fallacy that headlamp washers are only compulsory for xenon lights. This is wrong on several counts. The latest generation of xenon, the 25-Watt version, doesn't actually need one at all. Meanwhile, halogen and LED headlamps do need one if their light sources emit more than 2000 lumens. Indeed, this is required for ECE approval." So it seems to depend on the light output, but I'm surprised Portugal should be different. Are they offered as an option perhaps? Chris
-
system update mib 3
Could be fun then as the Skoda Auto press release of 29 June 2020 stated: "New Infotainment systems are being introduced ... for the start of the 2021 model year. ... They offer not only the Laura digital voice assistant, but an array of online features too -- including Internet Radio and wireless SmartLink technology. ... The built-in SIM card ensures a permanent Internet connection, which also enables Infotainment Online services to be used. SKODA provides the required data allowance for these." And the Skoda UK brochure of 21 July 2020 merely states my Amundsen includes web radio, as does the Sportline standard specification I downloaded when I ordered my car. Neither offered any small print about having to buy an additional data plan, and the specification stated that the Infotainment Online service was included free for the first year and included Online Traffic Information. If they are now claiming we have to buy an additional data plan to use the web radio, this would seem to contravene the Misrepresentation Act of 1967. Chris PS: I've been on to my Skoda Connect portal, which confirms my Infotainment Online service is active until next November and includes Online Traffic Data, but am not offered any way of buying a Cubic data plan. Where have you found this??
-
Karoq 1.5 or 2.0 TSi ?
That's the gross vehicle weight. The Minimum Kerbweight (with driver) for the 2.0TSI is 1584-1700kg, while the 1.5TSI DSG is 1387-1627kg. So that's an increase of only around 75kg.
-
Karoq 1.5 or 2.0 TSi ?
I can confirm the Sportline comes with a large pano opening sunroof. And you can only get the 2.0TSI in a Sportline. I'm very happy with my 2.0 TSI, but I'd have a DSG transmission anyway - this is my third VAG car with one, and I've no wish to return to manual gearboxes. The Sportline also has the paddles to change gears manually if you wish - but well tucked away so they don't interfere with the other stalks. The 2.0 TSI also comes with the Haldex 4x4 to help out if the front wheels start to skid. (I've no idea if they've helped me yet, even in the snow, as there's no indicator signal that it's active, but it's comforting to know it's there if needed.) There's a fuel consumption hit of course, and extra servicing costs for the rear Haldex unit down the road, but even with the cold weather and short lockdown journeys I'm getting around 30 mpg according to the info system instead of the 40 mpg I was getting with my previous Golf SV 1.4 TSI DSG for similar journeys. The other difference is that the 2.0 TSI has a shallower boot floor than the 1.5 TSI (so restricting you to a space-saver spare wheel) and fully independent rear suspension. It also has 225/45 R19 tyres rather than the 225/40 R19's fitted to the 1.5 so should be slightly more comfortable with the deeper tyre profile. And I'm sure it will be great fun to drive once I've managed to run it in and escape for a long drive!!
-
Heated rear screen interfering with DAB
Not had quite the same problem, mine was on a Golf where the boot catch lifted up in reverse to expose the rear-view camera, and the DAB radio cut out while it was returning to its normal position. Can you see what happens (lockdown permitting) if you go somewhere that the other multiplexes have a stronger signal? Or could the earth connections in the tailgate be loose??
-
KESSY issues
I seem to remember seeing threads reporting a bad batch of batteries that had been fitted by Skoda. It might be worth a search on the forum to see if your is affected. If so your dealer should know about it and save you paying for a new one!
-
system update mib 3
This was the situation in the UK back in November 2019: Cost of map updates - Skoda Audio, Electronics and Security - BRISKODA So I guess they've got more money-grabbing since then :(
-
Fuels and Oils Skoda Karoq 1.5 TSI Edition
I'm in Staffordshire, not Wales, and I'm trying Teso's Super Unleaded. It may not be 98 RON from what you say, but since I haven't had to refill my tank since last November I'm a bit hazy on the details Chris
-
system update mib 3
When I was researching buying my Karoq, Skoda UK were saying we got free (downloaded) map updates for three years. And other Skoda owners here assured me that in practice the downloaded maps were still available for longer than that. Coming from owning VW Golfs for the last 10 years, their policy was that you could download free map updates every 6 months while the head unit was still being installed in cars, and for a further number of years after that. So I presume that Skoda Estonia have a different policy. Chris
-
Fuels and Oils Skoda Karoq 1.5 TSI Edition
My copy of the downloaded Karoq 2020/07 manual has three consecutive paragraphs: Prescribed petrol 95 / min. 92 or 93 RON / ROZ We recommend using 95 RON petrol. 92 or 93 RON petrol may be used as an option (low power loss, slightly increased fuel consumption). In an emergency, 91 RON petrol may be used (low power loss, slightly increased fuel consumption). Prescribed petrol min. 95 RON / ROZ Use min. 95 petrol. Using higher octane petrol than 95 RON may result in improved performance and lower fuel consumption. In an emergency 91. 92 or. 93 RON may be used (low power loss, slightly increased fuel consumption). Prescribed petrol 98 / (95) RON / ROZ We recommend using 98 RON petrol. 95 RON petrol may be used as an option (low power loss, slightly increased fuel consumption). In an emergency 91. 92 or. 93 RON may be used (low power loss, slightly increased fuel consumption). The filler cover in my UK 2.0TSI Karoq says Min 95 RON, so there is no need to use a higher rated petrol, although I am trying it on 98 (Super-Unleaded) for now. Chris
-
system update mib 3
Thanks Ber3linger, The Amundsen in my Karoq has a device number 3V0035820B, and is also stuck on Nav database 19.11 (even after another half hour trip today). So it looks like I may as well remove the USB stick and rely on the online updates. It sounds like it may be worthwhile planning a few trips to encourage it to download some map updates though... Disabling the USB update route seems a commercial decision rather than engineering, presumably to 'encourage' owners to continue to buy the Infotainment Online service after the first year if we want updated maps. Quite a policy change from years of getting free updates as long as the head unit was still supported! Chris
-
KESSY issues
I've seen that mentioned quite a few times as the one to buy, so I think it should be OK. If you make a search on Briskoda for it, you should find quite a few threads about it. Chris
-
Who has owned their Octy for the longest?
Not quite on topic I suppose, but I bought my Octavia L&K 2.0TDI for £18,800 on the 3rd of March 2006. But then I P/Xed it for £4,250 on the 12th of December 2011 after 5 years 8 months and 52,900 miles. Can't remember any particular problems with it, but we were running the Octavia and a VW Polo at the time, and needed to change to a single mid-sized car as my wife wasn't comfortable driving the Octavia instead of her Polo. So we changed to Golf Plus DSG only to find she didn't take to auto gearboxes!!
-
KESSY issues
OK, so can you find a way of charging the battery up to see if that cures the problem? Go for a longer drive than normal (while staying covid-compliant)? Or check the battery voltage?
-
KESSY issues
People are reporting that the key battery often fails after about a year,and if it's not the latest type with a motion detector it's probably energised even when you're not using the car. Do you have a spare key to try, to see if it's the key or the car? It would certainly be cheaper to replace the key battery rather than the car battery, but if that isn't getting charged regularly, a battery charger could be a good investment anyway if you can keep your car in a garage and trickle charged. Chris
-
Help/ advice
If it's stone damage, what would you base a warranty claim on? Not fit for purpose? You'd have to prove that you hadn't misused them, which could be difficult, IMO. Poor quality alloy? You'd have to prove that yours was softer than that on other cars, again IMO. Diamond-cut wheels not suitable for a SUV? Worth a try maybe, but I think you would need a very sympathetic dealer, and I also think the final decision rests with Skoda UK rather than the dealer. Chris
-
Help/ advice
Looks like the common problem with diamond cut alloys? If so the varnish over the silver part has let water underneath it, showing up as corrosion. It can be caused by tiny chips, or just the varnish losing adhesion at the sharp edge. Google 'Diamond-cut wheel problems' to check and see how it can be corrected. Chris
-
system update mib 3
But it could be a coincidence, and the files had been downloaded online and were just waiting to be installed but a hard reset??
-
system update mib 3
Presumably the Skoda Update Portal only checks that the VIN is valid, and not the model year of the car? Or our Russian friends have adapted software which lets them download the file and install it since they don't have the online feature??