Everything posted by CJJE
-
Skoda connect and internet radio
That depends on the data allowance you've got with your phone!
-
Skoda connect and internet radio
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into how I tell it to connect to my WiFi. But I'm not sure if the system will update 'on command'. If I go into the System Information screen and press the Update Software button, it gives me three choices of what to update. (System, Radio and Other I think from memory). But none of these show any update file to download. Perhaps it will when it's connected to my WiFi? And I can't find any options to update the maps from inside the Navigation menus. Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
Hi Eric, (for some reason 2 quotes have been picked up automatically!) I just sent my letter to: "The Head of Customer Services, Skoda UK, Brunswick Court, Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes MK14 5LR" Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
That wasn't the call centre... that was a guy in Multi-media support who'd been asked by my previous contact to see how I was doing. I think he's wishing he had asked more questions about the problems before phoning me now! Chris
-
Skoda connect and internet radio
Latest reply from Skoda UK technical support: the dataplan allowance on your built-in ESim card only supports Skoda Connect and not web radio. You will need to use your phone's data allowance to listen to web radio. When I asked how I could update my maps then he had no answer. I also pointed out that Skoda UK were advertising features (web radio and updating maps) with no mention of a data allowance problem. I've escalated the problems to the Head of Customer Services Skoda UK, to see what happens next. Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
Just had a phone back from a new Skoda UK technical support guy (about three issues I had flagged to them - missing radio logos, no web radio, and updating the maps). They are now suggesting that the data allowance on my built-in eSim is preventing the list of web radio stations downloading. So I asked how it would cope with updating the maps. His default reply was to say we had to download it onto an SD card! So I updated him on MIB3 systems not having any, and that plugging a USB stick in had no effect. He's gone away to escalate it again. I've also written to the Head of Customer Services Skoda UK, as it would now seem that if the data allowance is stopping me seeing web radio stations or updating maps online, they are advertising features they cannot provide! Chris
-
Skoda U.K. announces new My Skoda app
And also the build date!
-
VCDS / OBD 11 wishlist for Santa
Now what I would like is a way for the car to remember the driving mode you last selected, rather than reverting to the default Normal mode! Chris
-
VCDS / OBD 11 wishlist for Santa
I'm sure I've read that OBDeleven can disable headlight washers (although this is illegal if you have LED headlights and may well fail an MOT), and also disable the audible warning if you open the driver's door while the engine is running (although I find that very handy with KESSY as I forget to push the On/Off button). Disabling the stop/Start feature seems to have been outlawed now, as the previous methods don't seem to work on recent cars. Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
As I said, I was passed on to a technical support guy, not a customer service agent who can only read answers off a computer screen in front of her. But even he had to admit he hasn't been trained up on the new MIB3 systems! But interestingly I've since discovered a webpage at www.radiodns.org that explains a bit more. This organisation is leading a development of 'Hybrid Radios' which merge FM, DAB+ and the internet, and they say it already built into connected vehicles from Audi, VW Porsche and BMW. (I'd suggest Skoda are also now on this list.) I've been chasing up why we have missing radio logos, and it appears that the new radios do rely on the broadcasters transmitting the logos either via the internet or the DAB signal for the radios to see them and store them internally. So despite Skoda's Update Portal it looks like we won't get the missing ones until the individual radio stations start providing them. In other words we need to chase Classic FM, Smooth etc and not Skoda. To update the entire European maps over the internet link would take a long time I'd think, so I can see why the radio will only update your local maps. But how will you know when it's doing that? The database ID will need to be a hybrid between the 19.11 mine is showing and the new ECE 2020/2021 ID. Chris
-
Radio stations change in totally random order?
How odd! With mine I can set the arrows for next station to either change to the next preset, or the next station in the alphabetic list. However there is also a setting (for DAB stations at least) where if it loses signal it can change to 'a similar radio station'. However its definition of similar isn't the same as mine so I turned that option off rather than suddenly being treated to a radio station I didn't want to listen to! Chris
-
New Karoq few observations and a few questions
Welcome to the Karoq. You can set the keys so they have different settings stored for them, if you have the 'Personalisation' option. This lets each key be set up for a different driver (but they may need to have their own profile set up for the car. Full details are in the manual (I have set my keys to be the same as my wife only uses her key to open the car if she gets back to it before me!) For running in, I use the following guidance (for a petrol car): Brake pads do not brake efficiently when new as their outer surfaces have to be worn in, so drive very carefully and allow for a greater braking distance than normal during the first 125 miles. Tyres do not grip well when new either, so corner gently for the first 300 miles. The car engine’s oil consumption and performance during its life is influenced by your driving style during the first thousand miles. So for the first 650 miles, never exceed 4,500 rpm, and avoid the use of Sport mode or full throttle. These restrictions can be gradually eased over the next 350 miles. Depending on your driving style and operating conditions, the engine can consume up to half a litre of oil over the first 650 miles, and consumption can be higher than normal over the first 3,000 miles. In practice I am also using the Eco driving mode to restrict any tendency on my part to accelerate too hard. Chris
-
What oil for 1.5 TSI ?
I've read somewhere that the DKZA engine requires VW508.00 oil, but can't track it down now. This is one of the changes from the earlier 2.0TSI engines, and is of course common across all VAG cars with that engine. Certainly the Castrol Oil Finder at Skoda Karoq, NU7 (2017- ) Karoq 2.0 TSI (140 kW) 4x4 | CASTROL ENGINE OIL AND FLUID RECOMMENDATION recommends this oil for my car with no suggestion that it's only needed for variable servicing. I also took the view that it would have been set up in the factory for variable servicing (even though I've had mine switched to fixed term) so it would be better not to mix it with a different oil. Chris
-
Octavia 4 Columbus nav update
This is a common problem for MIB3 Infotainment systems, and has threads in the Karoq section. I have started a thread in the general Infotainment section to try to collate these problems as many MY21 models will be affected. Chris
-
Radio logos
This is a common problem for MIB3 Infotainment systems, and has threads in the Karoq section. I have been in contact with a Skoda UK tech support guy, who confirms that: 1) Logos for popular stations such as Classic FM, Smooth..., Absolute... etc are not included in the Radio Logo file that you can download. (He was suggesting it might be due to licencing problems, although I don't really follow his argument.) 2) Even if you add the missing logos to the file and try to read it through a USB-C port, there seems no way to point the software to use them. I am also wondering if the MIB3 systems rely on the radio stations broadcasting their own logos (some do, but many don't) and so hasn't provided a way of adding your own. He has reported the problem back to Skoda HQ, but it seems to be VAG-wide, and so may need to be remedied by the MIB3 experts. I have started a thread in the general Infotainment section to try to collate these problems as many MY21 models will be affected. Chris
-
3rd Generation (MIB3) Infotainment System Problems
There are a number of threads in the Karoq section detailing the problems owners are experiencing with the MIB3 Amundsen and Columbus Infotainment systems. Basically, the Skoda Update Portal assumes that you still have a SD card slot for updates when it has been replaced by USB-C ports in MIB3 Karoqs, and the software doesn't recognise updated maps or radio logos on a USB memory stick. Typical threads are at: MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure - Skoda Karoq - BRISKODA MY21/Infotainment/Skoda Connect issues - Skoda Karoq - BRISKODA and MY 21 Amundsen Infotainment system - Skoda Karoq - BRISKODA. Presumably owners of MY21 Kamiqs, Scalas and Octavias will also be experiencing these problems? I have certainly seen similar complaints in VW Passat and SEAT Ateca forums. Could you add links to any other similar threads below, and if you are suffering consider making a complaint to Skoda UK via the Contact Form on the Skoda UK website at Contact Us form | ŠKODA UK (skoda.co.uk) Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
I have sympathy with much of your post, but for MY21 cars (at least for the first year) there is no user charge for the data connection to the inbuilt e-Sim. And the only charge I can see to renew the Infotainment Online service after the first year seems to be €70 per annum (or €49 when it is on a special offer.) Chris
-
What oil for 1.5 TSI ?
Sure, but the new generation 2.0TSI is designed to use that oil and not the more viscous ones. And to think Duckhams 20/50 used to be the Go-to oil! Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
Don't be too dismissive! I've had two phone calls from a Skoda UK technical support guy about the missing radio logos, from the radio and update file, and about how you can persuade the MIB3 Amundsen to read the file. But even he had to admit defeat and say all he could do was to refer the problem back to Skoda HQ!
-
What oil for 1.5 TSI ?
My 2.0TSI needs the 0W-20 VW508.00 oil as stated above - though I'd prefer the owner's manual to tell me this rather than refer me to a dealer! So as I like to keep a litre bottle in the boot, especially with a new engine that's likely to need top ups for its first thousand miles or so, I went off to Halfords to find some. There's a Mobil 1 oil that meets the specs, and I thought Halfords were selling it for £16.80, but it turned out not to be the right one. So I called in at my local VW dealer (Skoda's are further away) to find they had a Shell Helix VW508.00 oil at just £16 for the litre! Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
Thanks for that. So they're confirming that the new ECE 2020/2021 file is the current mapping data, but since the online updates only apply to your locality the car's maps are likely to be a mix of the old and new? I certainly have auto updates turned on in my car since it told me it was downloading a small update a few weeks back. But the System Information says my navigation database is till 19.11. And I don't see why Skoda would provide a downloadable file for us if we can't install it! At least she's accepted that the Update Portal doesn't make sense, so hopefully it will get reported back and corrected. (I'm pretty sure it is a Skoda Czechia page, that it translated in the appropriate languages, as when you click on the small 'i' it gives you a note in Czech!) I presume you were chatting with Skoda UK over the webpage chat link? I had a similar protracted chat with Skoda UK's Twitter DM feed about radio logos, and came away with the suspicion that the customer services people can only follow a script on their computer screen, because after a while they gave up trying to provide answers and just transferred my query off to technical support. (Who also then found they didn't have any answers and could only promise to chase Skoda Czechia for answers!) Chris
- MY21/Infotainment/Skoda Connect issues
-
MY 21 Amundsen Infotainment system
The saving grace in the online updates is that I'm pretty sure it only downloads the updates for the region you are travelling in. So your local roads will be up to date, but not all roads across Europe. But that does beg the question about what happens when you go off for a summer touring holiday (covid permitting!). If I tell my satnav to plan a route to Zell am See in Austria (as I did with my Golf two years ago) when will it pick up the changes on German Autobahns etc?? Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
Correction to above post. Having extracted the files on my PC, I find there are only 26.5 GB of files. So am presently copying to a USB stick which I've formatted as exFat with 4096 bytes set as the Allocation Size. I suspect the default Allocation Size setting caused my previous attempt to report back there wasn't enough space on the USB stick! Chris
-
MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure
I used the Contact Form on the Skoda UK website... at Contact Us form | ŠKODA UK (skoda.co.uk) Chris