system update mib 3

Hi I just got a system update on my 2021 Kodiaq with mib 3 and Columbus

Does anyone know what the system update did and contained??

It went really fast to download..

It only stated that it was error fixes and minor functions which doesn't say much..Anyone that know more?

Mine has updated the navagation database from 20.10 to 20.11as far as I can see. Only difference on the system info page.

To see if you have the update availiable, look in notifications, that is where I found the update.

On the infotainment screen, pull down the little line at the top of the screen for favourites and select notifications.

7 hours ago, Robert1664 said:

Might be a silly question but how do you do the update

Hi when I started my car a message appeared automatically on the screen that there is a system update available..with a button "update" and disclaimer that the car must be stationary when updating.

5 hours ago, FilipC said:

my navigation db is still ‘stuck’ at 20.7 so my update was not related to that

4F19B44D-D304-4AE2-AA52-71DF71756243.jpeg

No idea what has changed then. Only thing for me is it is showing a different nav database number. 

8 hours ago, Billywizzo said:

Mine has updated the navagation database from 20.10 to 20.11as far as I can see. Only difference on the system info page.

To see if you have the update availiable, look in notifications, that is where I found the update.

On the infotainment screen, pull down the little line at the top of the screen for favourites and select notifications.

When did you pick up your car? Reason I ask is I collected mine in Nov '20 but my Nav DB is still saying 20.10   According to the portal a map update for my VIN number is available and eventually Skoda Chat confirmed 20.11 was the latest version but had no idea how it was updated on MIB3 - they thought I'd receive over-the-air notification. ( their suggestion of updating via USB didn't work ).

This is the 2nd software notification I've received. It actually tells you on the info page what the update does, or at least it gives very limited info. It said the latest update was related to privicy settings. The update has finished but my map remains at v20.10

I find these updates not intuative. You receive a message to say UPDATE AVAILABLE when driving the car but then it says you can't updated whilst engine is running. Fair enough. So when you stop the engine and go in to the infotainment under SETTINGS and select 'update' from a sub-menu, nothing happens - no update is available. Your supposed to see all updates or just those relating to MAP  or SYSTEM or 'OTHER' ( whatever that is). As others say the UPDATE isn't actaully listed in the UPDATE page, it's listed under MESSAGES. :wall:

And even then, the update message doesn't appear for a few minutes after the infotainment has been switched on so you think there's nothing there!   It a very poorly designed system. 

6 hours ago, FilipC said:

my navigation db is still ‘stuck’ at 20.7 so my update was not related to that

I'd have assumed the navigation db is common throughout Europe but I may be wrong. For a MY21 car with MIB3, 20.7 seems to be old.  When I picked up my car in Nov which was only a month or so after MY21 cars became available in the UK, the db was v20.10

All I can suggest is check if an update is available for your VIN number on the Navigation portal    ( apologies if you've done this already. )

17 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

When did you pick up your car? Reason I ask is I collected mine in Nov '20 but my Nav DB is still saying 20.10   According to the portal a map update for my VIN number is available and eventually Skoda Chat confirmed 20.11 was the latest version but had no idea how it was updated on MIB3 - they thought I'd receive over-the-air notification. ( their suggestion of updating via USB didn't work ).

This is the 2nd software notification I've received. It actually tells you on the info page what the update does, or at least it gives very limited info. It said the latest update was related to privicy settings. The update has finished but my map remains at v20.10

I find these updates not intuative. You receive a message to say UPDATE AVAILABLE when driving the car but then it says you can't updated whilst engine is running. Fair enough. So when you stop the engine and go in to the infotainment under SETTINGS and select 'update' from a sub-menu, nothing happens - no update is available. Your supposed to see all updates or just those relating to MAP  or SYSTEM or 'OTHER' ( whatever that is). As others say the UPDATE isn't actaully listed in the UPDATE page, it's listed under MESSAGES. :wall:

And even then, the update message doesn't appear for a few minutes after the infotainment has been switched on so you think there's nothing there!   It a very poorly designed system. 

My car was delivered in October. This was the first update I have had. Like I said, I found it in the notification page after it had informed me that one was available but could not download as I was driving. 

3 hours ago, Billywizzo said:

My car was delivered in October. This was the first update I have had. Like I said, I found it in the notification page after it had informed me that one was available but could not download as I was driving. 

Whatever the update I received it didn't update my NAV software. Perhaps like the Covid-19 vaccine, Skoda are rolling it out to the elderly and vunerable first. Are you over 80? :D

2 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Whatever the update I received it didn't update my NAV software. Perhaps like the Covid-19 vaccine, Skoda are rolling it out to the elderly and vunerable first. Are you over 80? :D

Wish I was then I would get the vaccine but quite a lot of years to go before I hit near that age 😁

Not been out in the car since the update, maybe it will fix my traffic sign system and stop it sometimes showing the speed limit in KPH and not MPH..

Edited by Billywizzo

MY21 for me, collected mid November, and the portal shows a map update. I've had an update notification, not map related, which I installed but I'm waiting for the map to update OTA. 

Presumably map updates on MIB3 will have to be paid for after the car is 12 months old, as part of the subscription infotainment service. 

3 minutes ago, batal said:

Download maps to flash drive, connect to TypeC  and update via menu

Is that using an MIB3 head unit? With my Columbus that doesn't work, as the map update files on the flash drive are not recognised. Other people have reported the same. 

On 22/01/2021 at 12:52, Scot5 said:

I'd have assumed the navigation db is common throughout Europe but I may be wrong. For a MY21 car with MIB3, 20.7 seems to be old.  When I picked up my car in Nov which was only a month or so after MY21 cars became available in the UK, the db was v20.10

All I can suggest is check if an update is available for your VIN number on the Navigation portal    ( apologies if you've done this already. )

My MY21 Karoq MIB3 Amundesen has had two fast updates installed over air, but the nav database is still 19:11 :( It was built in late October 2020 so I'm intrigued that you guys have a later version in your Kodiaqs. Perhaps it was just installed for the Columbus? 

As you've found, trying to install the map update manually via the USB-C port doesn't seem to do anything, but I haven't tried just leaving the flash drive connected while on a long drive yet.

Chris 

13 minutes ago, CJJE said:

but I haven't tried just leaving the flash drive connected while on a long drive yet.

Exactly :) Some people reported that update takes more that one our.  But interface is awful. While update you cant understand is it in process or not. You just need to keep head unit on for some time (you can continue using car). And after some time you'll se new map version in system info.

At least that's how it works for us in Russia. But we don't have Skoda Connect. Maybe if you have it, update from flash drive is disabled (but I'm pretty sure that it's not).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, batal said:

Exactly :) Some people reported that update takes more that one our.  But interface is awful. While update you cant understand is it in process or not. You just need to keep head unit on for some time (you can continue using car). And after some time you'll se new map version in system info.

At least that's how it works for us in Russia. But we don't have Skoda Connect. Maybe if you have it, update from flash drive is disabled (but I'm pretty sure that it's not).

OK, so when we're allowed to make long journeys again (covid lockdown rules) I'll try leaving the USB stick in and see what happens. 

At least I don't really need the updated maps now, again because of the covid lockdown rules :)

Chris

PS: We've had discussions about how to format the USB stick and not really resolved it. What format system worked for you??

Chris

Edited by CJJE

On 22/01/2021 at 11:32, Billywizzo said:

No idea what has changed then. Only thing for me is it is showing a different nav database number. 

My last system update said it was for the 'Shop' app, and corrected some errors. The only thing that's changed (I think)  is that it now offers me a dataplan via Cubic that I don't think was there before. Perhaps this is now to let me buy access to the Web radio function that was supposed to be free when I bought my car last autumn??

Chris

I downloaded the updated maps from the portal as well, copied them on a stick and tried to use it in the car but nothing appeared to be happening in the first few minutes so I gave up ... I know the stick was readable by the car  (tried both exFAT and NTFS) because I could browse thru the files in the Media menu but nothing showed up in the System Infor > Update software ...

I guess I can leave the stick inserted on a longer drive ... :dull:

I had similar issue on my Superb II. There was supposed to be a progress bar on the screen but I never had one. I just knew it will take 40 - 45 mnutes to update the maps so I just left the engine running (otherwise it would switch the headunit off after 30 minutes).

1 hour ago, FilipC said:

I downloaded the updated maps from the portal as well, copied them on a stick and tried to use it in the car but nothing appeared to be happening in the first few minutes so I gave up ... I know the stick was readable by the car  (tried both exFAT and NTFS) because I could browse thru the files in the Media menu but nothing showed up in the System Infor > Update software ...

I guess I can leave the stick inserted on a longer drive ... :dull:

I had the same experience.