Colour coding my Grille - DIY

Well, i began today - Im doing it all DIY - see how it pans out before i resort to a Pro... If i have to! :rofl:

Removing and disassembling the Grille was extremely easy - thank to Stu's Octavia Site :thumbup:

Anyway, after some GREAT fun trying to get the Skoda badge off, i began sanding the Chrome - expecting it to be a bitch - it was.

After an hour, i had only managed the top of the grille - but noticed the plating had worn through along the edge after my efforts, managed to flake a part of the plating up - i just went to flatten it and it lifted, so i started to peel it off...

2 1/2 hours later, its NEARLY all off, gave up cos i was getting bored - still gotta finish, but it will be easier to prep, so should make it easier to do the paintwork though :D

How it stands now;

DSCF1529.jpg

Hopefully finish the chrome peeling tomorrow night, and also the sanding down/flattening - if the weather holds out, it should all be done proper job by end of the Weekend :cool:

I'll be doing this soon too - I've ordered a grill surround to butcher, just waiting for it to arrive.

I was thinking of using etching primer over the chrome instead of trying to sand it off - any thoughts on this? I don't think I have the patience to sand/peel it. I can always sand the whole lot off later if it starts to flake.

Is the badge just glued on?

I'll be doing this soon too - I've ordered a grill surround to butcher, just waiting for it to arrive.

I was thinking of using etching primer over the chrome instead of trying to sand it off - any thoughts on this? I don't think I have the patience to sand/peel it. I can always sand the whole lot off later if it starts to flake.

You just need to key into the chrome instead of taking it totally off.

Unfortuneatly my spraying efforts were a bit carp so I think I will seeking the services of a professional.

Yes and No

It has 2 lugs which are melted to spread out over 2 holes in the surround, and it is also held on with the sticky foam you normally see on badges etc

Well done

I took the easy way got a spare grill from ebay removed the crome surround and took it to a body shop that did the crome grill on my last mk1 vrs lot less hassle.

Hope you get ok

Regards Whoosh:thumbup:

Managed to get use of the Blaster at work today, so use that to remove the remaining Chrome, and to key the Plastic underneath

Also managed to get the afternoon off, so have managed to get the Primer and Black Magic coats on (Sun is beating down here - drying time is immense!)

2 Coats of Black so far, one more then some Lacquer me thinks...

At this rate, it'll be good to fit tomorrow at some point...

Well, everything went OK in the end - a couple of small blemishes, but what do you expect for a DIY job by a non-pro... Still, im happy with it!

Even managed to get it on the Car this evening

Sex wee all over the place! :D:D

1000000000x better than before IMO - Skoda should have done this as OE!

DSCF1532.jpg

DSCF1530.jpg

This has to be a "Must-Do" mod for the Octavia II

Recently bought my vRS from a dealer, previous owner had done this to it, I wasn't sure to start with, but now I like the "stealth" black look it has!

See for yourself.

21586.attach

It's funny you should mention that as I have colour coded upper and lower grilles.

My bonnet and bumper look like a dogs dinner but my grilles are spotless.

How does that work?