Octavia 1.9tdi 110 bhp Elegance Estate, poss turbo problem?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't direct you to my site for fear of offending anyone re advertising, but it sounds like you have VNT issues. There is a fairly straightforward procedure for testing, I rebuild about one of these a week. You don't normally need a new turbo, though I am worried about the 'bag of bolts' sound. IF it's the VNT you just lose power and don't hear the turbo whistle, you should not hear a bag of bolts!

Where are you located - you need to get a proper VAG-COM analysis and preferably an N75 output cycle test and we can diagnose from there.

I have a passat in today with the VNT rebuilt, last week an octavia, next week a PD passat... etc.

The most common engine for it is the 110tdi, though it can happen on the PD. The 90hp is not affected as it has a wastegated turbo.

Regards, Greg.

Thanks. Only had it a couple of weeks,but well pleased with it.

This problem has only occured the once and my Turbo expert is muttering about wastegate solenoid or the like? I keep reading about turbo vanes, maf sensors etc, but cant really get a clear idea of what to check other than everything just to rule it out of the equation?:(

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the input.I have just changed a solenoid,I believe,as previously mentioned situated at the rear of the engine block just below the bonnet (3 air pipes in and an electrical connection) at around £28 + vat.At the moment I`ve had no further problems and even when it did happen had no fault codes come up.I`m going to run with it as is, for the time being and see how it goes.If the problem does re-manifest itself, I`ll be in touch.I`m down near Colchester in essex, but that shouldnt be a problem..

thx

Andy:)

The 90hp is not affected as it has a wastegated turbo.

Regards, Greg.

Certainly on later Skoda Octavias even the 90 bhp diesels have variable vane turbos, same for the Mk4 Golf and Leon as far as I know. (AHU engine code iirc)

Sounds like you replaced the N75.

Let us know how it goes, if it's VNT they start intermittantly and eventually it will get worse eventually.

Hope that was the problem however, they have been known to go wrong before. Just not that often!

Greg.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the input.I have just changed a solenoid,I believe,as previously mentioned situated at the rear of the engine block just below the bonnet (3 air pipes in and an electrical connection) at around £28 + vat.At the moment I`ve had no further problems and even when it did happen had no fault codes come up.I`m going to run with it as is, for the time being and see how it goes.If the problem does re-manifest itself, I`ll be in touch.I`m down near Colchester in essex, but that shouldnt be a problem..

thx

Andy:)

I can't direct you to my site for fear of offending anyone re advertising, but it sounds like you have VNT issues. There is a fairly straightforward procedure for testing, I rebuild about one of these a week. You don't normally need a new turbo, though I am worried about the 'bag of bolts' sound. IF it's the VNT you just lose power and don't hear the turbo whistle, you should not hear a bag of bolts!

If it's an external technical website with a sales subsection, and not a direct advert, I don't believe anyone will bother.

I can't direct you to my site for fear of offending anyone re advertising, but it sounds like you have VNT issues. There is a fairly straightforward procedure for testing, I rebuild about one of these a week.

Regards, Greg.

Greg, I don't see it as advertising as I found the URL of your home page in your public profile on this forum. Wish I had found it earlier.

Thanks for the support guys, actually I don't have any sales on the site and do have a fair bit of information, but ultimately as I gain work from enquiries via the site I'm a bit cautious I don't want to break any forum rules, I got suspended once for offering free advice on aother forum!

Anyhow if you go to small-engine.co.uk and click on the vw tdi link or the VNT turbo link on the front page (either way will get you there) there is a pretty good write up with the symptoms of VNT turbo issues.

I'll be happy to help anyone who wants to do a DIY fix if you have the tools/skills, just give me PM.

Commercially, I'm doing nearly one a week now and so far have been able to rebuild all of them and not yet found one with a bad turbo core, just the VNT rusted and seized/coked solid.

I did have to machine one and have some studs drilled out though, one had a warped housing which was 'fun' but hey, we still got it rebuilt ;-)

Happy dieseling,

Greg.

Greg,

Just looked at the website.Very informative and I`ll definately give you a ring/mail if I need to.How long roughly does it take to do? ie if I arranged to come up for the day and travel back could you do it in that timeframe?

Cheers

Andy

Thanks, I'm glad you found the information was helpful. :)

I don't know about anyone else, but due to the occational seisure and snapping of the oil feed pipe as well as the VNT securing screws can sieze in the housing resuling in me having to have some very difficult drilling and tapping, I allow a minimum of 2 days. If I get it done the same day great (90% go smoothly) but I hate to raise expectations. A few rounded off nuts and it can be surprising how long it takes to get the turbo off too. Refitting I use stainless A4 grade nuts so that isn't a problem!

So no I don't think in and out in one day can work, I could try for it but couldn't promise. A guy is bringing his from Liverpool for me to do, dropping it one weekend and train back, picking it up the next which is way enough time so that will be okay.

Alternatively can you take it off or get somewhere local to? You can probably get it couriered to me for under a tenner and if all goes smoothly I can have it back in the post next day, ready to fit.

All the best, Greg.

Greg,

Just looked at the website.Very informative and I`ll definately give you a ring/mail if I need to.How long roughly does it take to do? ie if I arranged to come up for the day and travel back could you do it in that timeframe?

Cheers

Andy

I tried to post something like this yesterday, but had network or firewall issues that stopped me.

Greg, I'd be surprised if our Moderators took any more action than deleting the offending post or thread and PMing you a first offence, if they even objected.

If you're still concerned, why not join Freedom, or PM ColinD (the site owner) about becoming a Site Sponsor when you could advertise to your heart's content?

From experience if its a sticking turbo it will slowly get worse, ours went on for about 6 months before I finally gave in & got it sorted. I had developed the technique of dipping the clutch whilst going along, switch off, restart & carry on BUT Always do this well clear of other cars & on a straight as you will momentarily have no power steering or servo assisted brakes.

Cleaning seems to work in many cases, also s/hand Turbos are an option, I had one from a 130 bhp Fabia for £120 thanks to another briskodian & with an adaption of the boost pipe it fits, Jabba do a little adapter which helps fitting

As others have said they need ragging from time to time, running at constant revs (speed) dosent vary the vanes & they gum up. Yours might improove if the previous owner drove like a Granny. Also how many miles has it done, ours failed finally at around 115,000 but had been ragged all its life & was remapped

The issue with second hand turbos is that unless you rebuild the vnt side before fitting, you don't know how clean/long is has to go.

Miliage you really can't tell, the last car I had in has 180k on it. The one before that was a 2003 with 63k... Before that 120k, etc.

Not driving below 1,500rpm helps as at that speed the actuator doesn't move, regularly going up to 3,000rpm gives a full range movement of the actuator. Motorway work and servicing play a part, the cleaner the engine runs the less carbon builds up. But ultimately the VNT mechanism is BEHIND the flow of the exhaust and can't be flushed out, or blown out with a good thrashing. It's in a different part of the turbo.

The good news is the carbon builds up slowly, so once it's rebult it's likely to last as long as a new turbo, most cars would only have this done once in their lifetime.

Agreed about it slowly getting worse, the start to 'stick' and then when it gets bad enough they stay 'stuck' and after that it goes to seized. Freeing a sticking one by trying to flush it and working the arm only delays the issue as the carbon and rust is still in there, just stirred round a bit, it soon sets again!

Greg.

From experience if its a sticking turbo it will slowly get worse, ours went on for about 6 months before I finally gave in & got it sorted. I had developed the technique of dipping the clutch whilst going along, switch off, restart & carry on BUT Always do this well clear of other cars & on a straight as you will momentarily have no power steering or servo assisted brakes.

Cleaning seems to work in many cases, also s/hand Turbos are an option, I had one from a 130 bhp Fabia for £120 thanks to another briskodian & with an adaption of the boost pipe it fits, Jabba do a little adapter which helps fitting

As others have said they need ragging from time to time, running at constant revs (speed) dosent vary the vanes & they gum up. Yours might improove if the previous owner drove like a Granny. Also how many miles has it done, ours failed finally at around 115,000 but had been ragged all its life & was remapped

Thanks Ken, I'll sign up to Freedom I have been meaning to! I'll have a word about sponsoring but as I am one man, not a large company, I can't typically afford much in the way of advertising budgets. I'll have a chat though, who knows.

I tried to post something like this yesterday, but had network or firewall issues that stopped me.

Greg, I'd be surprised if our Moderators took any more action than deleting the offending post or thread and PMing you a first offence, if they even objected.

If you're still concerned, why not join Freedom, or PM ColinD (the site owner) about becoming a Site Sponsor when you could advertise to your heart's content?

The issue with second hand turbos is that unless you rebuild the vnt side before fitting, you don't know how clean/long is has to go.

Agreed, Mine came fro a very new fabia that some helpful person had totalled, you need to be sure of its history. A lot of stuff sold on e-bay is old stuff thats no good

I saw someone selling pictures of his wife on there once

:eek::P:P:P

Agreed, Mine came fro a very new fabia that some helpful person had totalled, you need to be sure of its history. A lot of stuff sold on e-bay is old stuff thats no good

• 3 weeks later...

Well, its been several weeks now and I`ve been alternating between "Grannying it about" and giving it a good towsing from time to time and (touch wood!) no more limp mode. So it would appear the solenoid change must have done some good :D:thumbup:

Thanks for everyones input, and if there is any further developments I`ll let you know...

• 1 month later...

Its now over a month since the last report on this and just recently have done several thousand miles and no "Limp mode"

The only thing I have noticed is something like a flat spot at around 4000rpm whilst in 3rd gear, pushing towards 70mph.Dosen`t last only a second or two but then fine. Should I worry about that or not?

That's one of the problems you many have when buying a low mileage secondhand car. It's a total myth that high mileage is bad news. Far more often than not the best engines are those that clock up a lot of miles very quickly, and spend most of their life on the motorway. Low mileage cars such as the one that belongs to the old lady down the road who goes to the shops once a week are a hundred times more likely to suffer from sticking turbo vanes, because the thing just doesn't get used.

If you really must used your car for short trips I reckon it's a very good idea to give it an Italian tune up every so often........

Turbo vanes sticking in the 'low' boost mode (which won't cause a limp home) can cause similar symptoms, but at that rpm under power even in the very low boost position you should have power. More likely air in the fuel/fuel starvation.

Greg

Its now over a month since the last report on this and just recently have done several thousand miles and no "Limp mode"

The only thing I have noticed is something like a flat spot at around 4000rpm whilst in 3rd gear, pushing towards 70mph.Dosen`t last only a second or two but then fine. Should I worry about that or not?

That's one of the problems you many have when buying a low mileage secondhand car. It's a total myth that high mileage is bad news. Far more often than not the best engines are those that clock up a lot of miles very quickly, and spend most of their life on the motorway. Low mileage cars such as the one that belongs to the old lady down the road who goes to the shops once a week are a hundred times more likely to suffer from sticking turbo vanes, because the thing just doesn't get used.

If you really must used your car for short trips I reckon it's a very good idea to give it an Italian tune up every so often........

Depends on your definition of a low mileage car.I bought this with 150k on the clock and to me thats quite high mileage.I assume from the condition of the car overall it was motorway miles and this would appear to be backed up by the service intervals in the service history (app 30k between them) Cannot fault car in any way other than this problem which now appears to be fine.

70mph cruising in a TDi110 or 130 represents about 2400 or 2000 rpm respectively. Several hours at a time of that means the vanes sitting in one position every bit as much as 2 or 3 mile town trips that never run over 2000.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have repaired many of them. Can be other causes, but likely the sticking VNT vanes on the turbo. As you have a 110 you have a vnt. However I have never heard of an octavia sport, where did you get that from! An elegance, yes :D

[quote name='Radovan;

1424570]Hi' date='

I'm driving 1,9 Octavia Sport TDI. Also have problem with turbo. Computer says turbo overboosted fault code 0234. Did someone experienced that?[/quote']

Thank you for your help mate. Yes, V5C documnet says model type Octavia Sport TDI 5 door hatchback 55 plate. I have all symptoms very salike the others. Do you think shall I not waste the time with actuator solenoid?