consumption on a vrs tdi?

hey, recently bought a 07 octavia vrs tdi. i bought it for power but decent economy. just wondering what kind of comsumption people are getting from theirs?

im happy with the car but unimpressed with the fuel consumption so far. i had an audi a4 previously which was remapped to about 170bhp and it was far better on juice.

I'm getting 42 or there abouts.

Can get 55 on a run and down to 38 when driving a "little harder".

Car has 11k on it just now, although happy with the 42, I hope it does get better.

Steve

If it is new and not run-in the first 1-2k is attrocious!!

You'd think you were driving a gasoline Hemi.

But it just gets better with mileage.

I regularly drive from my house to a mate's on town roads, and A-road and it returns 50+ on a 25+ mile run.

I have seen 60+ cruising on motorway for 30+ miles.

Overall it returns 44mpg on the average tank.

I have seen it as low as 23mpg on a real hoon run :o.

The art is partial throttle. If you try, in turbo zone above 2k rpm, you will notice no difference between 1 inch travel and "pedal to the metal" in most instances. The cylinders can't charge fast enough, but you will be dumping in too much fuel in the latter.

Finesse it. It all about the torque. Keep the revs low. Power derives from burning more fuel per second (high rpm, large throttle opening), torque doesn't.

Not knowing anything else about the energy density etc etc or burn modes of petrol vs diesel. All you need to remember is that if a 2 litre engine turns through 3,000 revs per minute and another turns through 4,000 revs per minutes, all things being equal, the lower reving engine will be pumping in 30% less fuel.

That is the main difference between diesel and petrol. Drive it in the highest gear possible in the torque band (2-3k rpm), or below if you can, and you will get good economy.

One of the advantages to the remap I had done, is it actually makes the rev range 1.5-2k a realistic driving (accelerating) proposition (previously the engine struggles or possibly even stalls under load) and the engine will drive between 800 and 1.5k with low load. So if I can drive in another gear higher (6th at 1.5k is 66 mph, 6th at 800 rpm is 35mph) I get even better fuel economy.

I regularly drive from my house to a mate's on town roads, and A-road and it returns 50+ on a 25+ mile run.

The art is partial throttle. If you try, in turbo zone above 2k rpm, you will notice no difference between 1 inch travel and "pedal to the metal" in most instances. The cylinders can't charge fast enough, but you will be dumping in too much fuel in the latter.

Finesse it. It all about the torque. Keep the revs low. Power derives from burning more fuel per second (high rpm, large throttle opening), torque doesn't.

Not knowing anything else about the energy density etc etc or burn modes of petrol vs diesel. All you need to remember is that if a 2 litre engine turns through 3,000 revs per minute and another turns through 4,000 revs per minutes, all things being equal, the lower reving engine will be pumping in 30% less fuel.

That is the main difference between diesel and petrol. Drive it in the highest gear possible in the torque band (2-3k rpm), or below if you can, and you will get good economy.

One of the advantages to the remap I had done, is it actually makes the rev range 1.5-2k a realistic driving (accelerating) proposition (previously the engine struggles or possibly even stalls under load) and the engine will drive between 800 and 1.5k with low load. So if I can drive in another gear higher (6th at 1.5k is 66 mph, 6th at 800 rpm is 35mph) I get even better fuel economy.

This sounds exactly like mine!!:thumbup:

i have just come back from spain and got 46 mpg at 80mph most of the way thats over 2500 miles but going to work 12mile each way i can get it up to 60mpg driving to the speed limit

06 vrs tdi with 20k

What he said :)

Currently I'm averaging 47-48 in general driving, 50-52 in Granny mode

hey, recently bought a 07 octavia vrs tdi. i bought it for power but decent economy. just wondering what kind of comsumption people are getting from theirs?

im happy with the car but unimpressed with the fuel consumption so far. i had an audi a4 previously which was remapped to about 170bhp and it was far better on juice.

By the way, what consumption are you getting, to be unimpressed?

I get between 43mpg and 50mpg on my way to work (10 miles on a mix of A,B roads and motorway with lights and roundabouts). To get the 50mpg mark the traffic does need to be just heavy enough to keep me at around 60mph on the motorway and prevent me from accelerating hard etc. On a long run I can manage around 53 to 55mpg. All of which I a very happy with considering the power and performance I have. My brother has a 1.4 tdi Grand Punto and only manages around 60-65mpg (so only 10mpg more and I have double the power!!!).

What he said :)

Currently I'm averaging 47-48 in general driving, 50-52 in Granny mode

Sounds the same as me!

I've found the car to do 52ish mpg on a run with the cruise control set at 70mph.

However, even an extra 5mpg knocks this back to 47mpg and 80mph will see 44mpg.

Regards

Steve

A good re-map will give improved power, whilst also improving MPG :thumbup:

Improvements of 4 - 5MPG on average can be achieved

As mentioned: