Best driving road?

Pedd

For me without a doubt it's the "Cat and Fiddle" going between buxton and macclesfield, in fact the drive from sheffield to congleton in general, good twisties and a couple of nice straights. not great in the winter though, gets very icy.

neil

The 4 roundabouts between Tesco (A2) and the M2 J4 link road. I could drive up and down there all day. :rofl:

Where's those exactly then?

I'm on the A2/M2 every weekend from the M25 up to the Sittingbourne turn off [gf lives in sunny Kent] and wouldn't mind giving them a go. :D

Soundmixer you have named some of the best roads in Scotland. I have driven all of them but not in my vRS.

Kit I used to live in Ullapool so have had many a blast going to Lochinver Kinlochbervie or Scrabster on business. My appetite is truely wetted for another excursion soon :)

Sorry Dude, I missed a few.

Ullapool, Ledmore, Scourie, Durness to Thurso. Hoo-yah!!!! I remember racing Brian May (yes that one) from Tongue through Altnahara and down to Lairg after a Sky at Night shoot at 06.00 one June morning. He can rock but can't roll!!

How about the A86 Newtonmore to Spean Bridge? The new section is like a Grand Prix circuit, but the twisties will kill you if you're not careful.

And the A939 continues from Grantown on Spey up to Nairn, with the section across the moors being epic and the twisties being brown trouser.

There are more, but that would be a spoiler! The Fabia is just perfect for the roads round here, where the grunt of an Evo just can't be used and point and shoot handling is all that matters.

We should have a Fabia thrash week sometime!

Cheers:D

I agree, the roads around Durness and Scourie are brilliant. Nothing like a drive from my parents in golspie, through rogart, lairg and up to the north west, spending the rest of the day on an empty white sandy beach. So much so I did part of that yesterday enjoying my drive to Lairg in the summer sun, it was brilliant.

• 4 months later...
Hello from a fellow Stirling dweller! :):)

But the Stirling Straights as a driving road? Must see if I can max out the Octy next time I go to Loch Lomond :D:D

Well, up until about 1985 my dad had maxed every car he'd ever owned along there.

A87 pretty much all the way from Invergarry to Uig, except the 30 and 40 mph trail through Broadford.

Ok to great views, twisty bits, but you're rarely stuck behind anything for more than a couple of miles unless you get a merchant banker who's doing 30 through the turns and 70 on the straights!

• 2 years later...

I knew there must be a thread like this on Briskoda.

I am surprised the B6278 (Edmundbyers to Eggleston) was't mentioned.

Brilliant piece of road, provided me with much driving pleasure over the last couple of months, in fact just got back from it earlier today.

Lots of bikers and cyclists during the weekend but good during the week.

Provides all sort of roads, fast straights, open view corners etc. Pretty views too!

The A686 (Alston to Haydon on Bridge) is also good, 2 hairpins. Otherwise A686 (Alston to Penrith, never been) looks good too.

Otherwise the A23 from Elephant and Castle to Thorton Heath is just fantastic!

The M6 south at 3am on a Friday morning. ;)

Seriously though there are a few good driving roads around here (SW Scotland) Though not exactly flat I enjoy driving the road up through the Gleniffer Braes to Paisley.

It's a good wee road, got to have one of the best carparks in the country too, the "Carpark in the sky" as it's known locally, looking down across the Firth of Clyde, and beyond into Argyll with Glasgow airport in the foreground...awesome

Soundmixer defo listed almost all the roads that are "local" to me that I drive in all weathers!!! Because I'm into Ski-ing, mountaineering etc, I have to drive these roads just to get to the start of the days activities (oh poor me..... :giggle: )....there is also a short section of the B9039 near Castle Stuart which involves a small humpackbridge, several turns, inclines...all wrapped up in a short 1 1/2mile section!!!

Or how about the B9001 or B9007 (Ferness to CarrBridge)......all the others in the Grantown, Ballater, Lecht, Cairngorm, Loch Ness, Torridon, .......Belleach Na'Ba on Applecross..............forgot this one..

Did this last October and it was Stunning landscapes, trees etc all colour......From Edinburgh take the A68 thro' the Borders to Kielder....then keep on this road over the top of England past Corbridge, until you hit the A(M)1 by Darlington. The twists and turns, hills and drops, old villages late in the evening........Superb!!! B)

Soundmixer defo listed almost all the roads that are "local" to me that I drive in all weathers!!! Because I'm into Ski-ing, mountaineering etc, I have to drive these roads just to get to the start of the days activities (oh poor me..... :giggle: )....there is also a short section of the B9039 near Castle Stuart which involves a small humpackbridge, several turns, inclines...all wrapped up in a short 1 1/2mile section!!!

Or how about the B9001 or B9007 (Ferness to CarrBridge)......all the others in the Grantown, Ballater, Lecht, Cairngorm, Loch Ness, Torridon, .......Belleach Na'Ba on Applecross..............forgot this one..

Did this last October and it was Stunning landscapes, trees etc all colour......From Edinburgh take the A68 thro' the Borders to Kielder....then keep on this road over the top of England past Corbridge, until you hit the A(M)1 by Darlington. The twists and turns, hills and drops, old villages late in the evening........Superb!!! B)

I live on the 68 and drive it twice aday from and too work.

When i did my emergency services response course they pulled some crackers out of the bag, of particular note were the roads around HAWES and WESNLEYDALE and a run up to ST ABBS, SCOTLAND via Northumbria, also some of the roads around KEILDER RESERVOIR.

Not particularly a great driving road, but another one they used a road running nearby to ECCLEFECHAN, SCOTLAND parallel to the M6 methinks - its more or less a straight single track road that runs for miles, 100mph all the way.

• 4 weeks later...

Plenty of good roads in Derbyshire, once you know which ones they can't put camera vans on. I don't get to drive it often but the B5056 from Fenny Bentley just north of Ashbourne through to Winster is terrific. Also the famed Via Gellia from Cromford to the A515 is a real challenge at speed but very difficult to get a clear run through the first section.

Ullapool, Ledmore, Scourie, Durness to Thurso. Hoo-yah!!!

This man speaks the truth. Last month and June last year I spent a few days up there largely just driving around.

It's one of the only areas where you can REALLY get to enjoy your card on public roads in the UK. Nice bendy bits. Most breathtaking views in the Britain. It's usual to see maybe literally one or two cars in fifty miles.

This year the A837 from Invercassley to Ledmore just blew me away. Did it in golden hour so the scenery looked stunning in the light.

These roads are without comparison in the UK. Oh yeah, and the road surfaces are immaculate, so you can cruise the lot at speed with your coilovers wound right down with impunity. Check them out on google maps street view.

I posted some photos of my trip last year... http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/166995-my-scotland-trip-last-week-more-seal-pics-added/

• 4 weeks later...

A75 from approx 50 miles above Millau to 20 miles bellow

Col de Turini

Route Napoleon

Chur to Zernez on the Fl�elastrasse

or the Grossglockner road

If we are allowed out of the country :)

Oh yes! completly ditto.

Even a quick glance at google maps or even your old Michelin atlas will show more twisty raods than you can shake a stick at. Bit of effort can get you from the coast of Provence to the German border, on a front of 100 miles. Up to 16 hours twisty driving without turning back on yourself, and mostly less traffic than here.

British roads can be fantastic, and from the examples mentioned above you can be on your own too. But the Massiv Central and then The Jura across to the Dolomites, Alpilles to the Black Forest. Hundreds of miles of twisty, mainly well surfaced roads you to enjoy in comparative freedom, in totally breathtaking scenery.

• 1 month later...

Here's a few of my favourites (in no particular order)

A57 (Snake Pass) between Glossop and Ladybower - absolutely brilliant if you don't get stuck behind a caravan doing 30mph, as not many places to overtake safely (even in a vRS)

The A640 from Denshaw to Outlane (Huddersfield) - a fast twisty climb, then long straights over the moors. (much more fun than taking the M62)

The road from Settle to Hawes (or Ingleton to Hawes), and then on over the Buttertubs pass into Swaledale

The road over the North Yorks Moors from Kirkbymoorside to Danby

The Hardknott Pass in the Lake District (but not on a busy summer day if you want your clutch to survive)

The A82 from Crianlarich to Glen Coe

The road from Invergarry to Skye Bridge via Glen Shiel - lots of fast bends, spectacular scenery and not much traffic

Pretty much any road on Skye, but especially the road that loops around the north end of the island past Storr and Staffin, or the single track road into Glenbrittle for a massive view of the Black Cuillin mountains

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...