Best driving road?

Pedd

• 4 weeks later...

"The Scots & Welsh have the pick of the best driving/riding roads in the UK."

You are sooo right. Next time any of you travel north I can recommend the following.

B974 Fettercairn to Banchory - "The Cairn O'Mount

A939 Cockbridge to Grantown on Spey - "The Lecht"

A93 Ballater to Blairgowrie - " The Devils Elbow"

B9176 Alness to Bonar Bridge - "The Struie"

A9 Latheron to Halkirk (it's like Spa - a lot of VERY fast bends)

A835 Garve to Ullapool

And finally

A890 Achnasheen to Kirkton (single track madness :):):))

And the joy is that these are the roads that I travel to go to work :rofl:

Enjoy!!

At the weekend I drove from Fort William to Banchory via the A86 then over the Lecht awesome drive. It really showcased how good the Octavia Vrs tsi really is. 3hrs of smile after mile. Being from Cumbria I thought we had some great roads but nothing like this.

Well youre more than welcome to tag along in June crispy 2, on the Cumbrian Run. Some camping fun and driving a selection of the best roads we have. Check out the North West section.

I'll bare that in mind thanks. I just think our roads are getting far to busy for a good run out. To many people looking at the views :). Still wouldn't live anywhere else though.

When i did my emergency services response course they pulled some crackers out of the bag, of particular note were the roads around HAWES and WESNLEYDALE and a run up to ST ABBS, SCOTLAND via Northumbria, also some of the roads around KEILDER RESERVOIR.

Not particularly a great driving road, but another one they used a road running nearby to ECCLEFECHAN, SCOTLAND parallel to the M6 methinks - its more or less a straight single track road that runs for miles, 100mph all the way.

It's great to get your foot down (all the way) and not to have to worry about speed cameras etc, etc. :sun:

I highly recommend to anyone driving or riding near the Scottish borders that they check out this road.

Passing 'Meggot Reservoir' Going from east to west, A708 turning off at the AA box, going to the A701,

it has the most amazing decent that will have you double checking your brakes & thinking about your tyres..

(the decent is the reason to do it east to west.)

Many wonderful driving roads in the area that you will meet virtually no traffic on if you choose the right time, season.

(a wee taster in the later pictures)

http://www.forum.dif...pic.php?t=69039

george

Edited by sk4gw

I have to say, one of my favourite roads (usually on a Honda FireBlade) is the A252 from Challock Crossroads towards Chilham (in Kent). Plus its brilliant in both directions. I turn around when the road joins the A28 Canterbury Road. Looking forward to giving the Yeti a proper blast down there very soon.

Also, anywhere in or around the Black Forest in Germany (B500). Just incredible roads (and road surface). Would recommend it in a heartbeat. Desperate to go back there.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.visitcumb...dknott-pass.htm

& Wrynose Pass.

MId week next week & early morning hopefully,

(unless somebody knows something is on that i have not spotted like a cycle race??)

i had forgotten how good it was on a bike many years ago untill reading an old magazine roadtest today,

been enjoying too many Scottish roads and forgetting to cross the border.

george

EDIT, Just came on 5th Gear now in a budget car review,

its speaking to me and saying get here now..

Edited by sk4gw

• 1 year later...

I've just driven back from Brecon via A4059 Storey Arms to Penderyn road, dry roads, two vehicles to pass easily dispatched in the first 500 yards followed by some truly grin inducing moments under stunning blue skies and light winds. 10 minutes of my life that will be vivid for a very long time; not driving like a tit, just making (very) good progress and enjoying an empty twisting but mostly well sighted stretch of tarmac

Now I've always known that better handling is more fun than outright tyre scrabbling acceleration (dare I say, uncontrollable wheelspin??) but like many have been blinded by the intensity of 30%-40% power gains and let my heart rule my head so to speak. However, since I have changed the RARB, the difference to the driveability is enormous, grip is much higher, lot less understeer, sharper turn in, easier to place into a corner, and much better at putting the power down out of tight corners. There is now no way that I'll do any further engine mods until the springs and brakes have been upgraded, after which I cannot imagine how hilarous this road will be. Maybe even removing the map just for the purity.

Roll on summer!

Edited by stever750

We've got a few round here in Scarborough.  There's the B1257 from Helmsley but my favourite is the A169 over the moors from Whitby to Pickering.  It's a series of wide sweeping corners that you can see through, in some places you can see for about two miles ahead.  It's used in Evo mag as well as other motoring magazines due to the terrain, lack of speed cameras and generally making you glad to be alive in such a beautiful place. 

edit : Now you've got me thinking, there's too many to list right here on my doorstep.  Must get out and about as much as possible now the weather is improving!

I've just driven back from Brecon via A4059 Storey Arms to Penderyn road, dry roads, two vehicles to pass easily dispatched in the first 500 yards followed by some truly grin inducing moments under stunning blue skies and light winds. 10 minutes of my life that will be vivid for a very long time; not driving like a tit, just making (very) good progress and enjoying an empty twisting but mostly well sighted stretch of tarmac

Now I've always known that better handling is more fun than outright tyre scrabbling acceleration (dare I say, uncontrollable wheelspin??) but like many have been blinded by the intensity of 30%-40% power gains and let my heart rule my head so to speak. However, since I have changed the RARB, the difference to the driveability is enormous, grip is much higher, lot less understeer, sharper turn in, easier to place into a corner, and much better at putting the power down out of tight corners. There is now no way that I'll do any further engine mods until the springs and brakes have been upgraded, after which I cannot imagine how hilarous this road will be. Maybe even removing the map just for the purity.

Roll on summer!

So you have only just discovered some well chosen ARB and suspension tweaks make a great difference, where have you been man?

ps. add to your list an LSD and when you have done all that, go back to rear wheel drive car B)

Edited by Soot1e
  • Like 1

So you have only just discovered some well chosen ARB and suspension tweaks make a great difference, where have you been man?

ps. add to your list an LSD and when you have done all that, go back to rear wheel drive car B)

I know, relying on the OE manufacturer to make it handle well. Sheesh what was I thinking eh? RWD?No, I think 4WD next. 

Favourite driving roads have to be in the Northumbrian border region, around Kielder, Otterburn, Wooler, Kelso, Rothbury, Callaly, Whittingham, Eglingham and Alnwick, they are flowing fast A, B and unclassified roads, undulation, making for lots of feed back, cheap thrills and good fun in most cars.

I know, relying on the OE manufacturer to make it handle well. Sheesh what was I thinking eh? RWD?No, I think 4WD next. 

OE suspension is fitted to cars on a cost basis not for performance, unless you are in the £50k.+ car bracket.  Trawling through the mods on various car forums brings to light some really good upgrades, I've done some and pleased what I achieved with each car.

4WD :no:  Tried an EVO thingy me bob on a track and found it, errrr,  boring.

Well, ride comfort first, at a segment cost. Ferrari, porsche et al equally aggressive in purchasing cost targets. Majority of car buyers don't buy on handling or steering feel, more the perceived sports image. I worked with a steering manufacturer in the 90s on a project with Andrew Frankel and concluded steering feel counted for very little in showroom value. However, make it ride and sound like a tractor and your dealers will hate you.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Edited by stever750

The A39 between Clovelly and Kilkhampton can be a fun old drag along the Atlantic coast of Cornwall. I first experienced it in my little brother's Colt GTi which was a fair shifter. Even though the steering felt over-light and suspension suspect I often make this detour out of my way to get to my parent's. 

Had a go at it in my 1.25 Zetec Fiesta which was a sweet as a nut through the twist but lacking firepower on the more open stuff. I've got it on the list for when the Golf is back on the road. 

There's the B1257 from Helmsley but my favourite is the A169 over the moors from Whitby to Pickering.  It's a series of wide sweeping corners that you can see through, in some places you can see for about two miles ahead.  It's used in Evo mag as well as other motoring magazines due to the terrain, lack of speed cameras and generally making you glad to be alive in such a beautiful place. 

Yep, those are my favourite roads around where I live too. The Helmsley road is known as the "Yorkshire TT" by bikers. There's been a few North East Meets where we've driven to Helmsley, then along Blakey Ridge to The Lion Inn.

PistonHeads has recently reviewed the roads.

B1257 Helmsley Road

Blakey Ridge

North York Moors have some amazing roads, as do the Pennines. The Hartside Pass (Haydon Bridge - Alston - Penrith) is supposed to be really good too. Need to do some driving through County Durham, Teesdale and Weardale, hoping to find some gems on my doorstep!

I tried making a copy of the Google maps link, but can't see how unless I just do a screen shot. It will probably work from a mobile better, but maybe posting a map link which you can save and upload into a satnav would be useful.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk