Steering clunk at low speed

My Felicia GLXi (which has power steering if you are not someone who has memorised all of the model names and their features) is making a clunking sound when the steering wheel is turned one half turn in either direction when stationary or travelling at low speed.

The sound appears to be coming from the middle of the engine, rather than one side. The sound does not get worse when the car has been in use for a while, nor does it get worse if the car has been travelling on the motorway.

I have looked at the tracking rod and end on one side, which were fine with no looseness or wear to the bearings. I suppose I should check the other side!

Any other ideas?

Thank you for that Rigsby. You wouldn't happen to know which page of the Haynes manual might refer to that would you? I have read section 10 'Suspension and steering', but I can't seem to find anything about the steering rack mounting point.

Thanks!

If it's manual steering you'll be able to see the rack from above secured by 4 bolts. Try grabbing between this and see if it is fully secured. Also check the track rods, particularly the ends, for any play.

I propped up the front end and was unable to generate a clunk with the wheels off the ground. Attempting to rattle the wheels also revealed no play.

I have a new track rod end on the nearside, replaced last year.

ok, took mine to the vet's today, and we have sussed it.

i have f***ed the rack basicaly! when the cars up on the 4 point lift, you can grab hold of the wheel and give it a proper wrenching from side to side. its not enough to generate a clunck, but with the gaiter of that end of the rack, we could see an amount of play.

it don't seam like much, but remember a power steering has a silly amount of hydrolic pressure in it when operating, more so than you could ever generate by hand.

as a new rack is about £400, i'll be having a look on ebay soonish.

Try asking Graham at Jorily Skoda if he has any in Skoda Parts - Jorily. The Skoda Parts Shop - Probably the UKs largest independent skoda parts supplier Seems he's away at the moment but he got me a favorit manual rack for £100 brand new and dealers were asking £200 (and eager to point out they had one in stock). Although when this sort of thing does come up on ebay it usually is cheap. After I spent £100 on the rack a recon one turned up on ebay starting price £4 and someone on here won it for £4. Gutted, lol.