Felicia 2.0 engine transplant thread

right, this is a subject on which i've been thinking about for some time now but prompted by another member who is after more grunt for not very many pennies i've started to think about it more seriously, i think a reasonable budget for this would be about £500 which would be a realistic option for a lot of folks

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

car_photo_4434_7.jpg

yes yes, i know... everybody hates these, but there is method in my madness here

i bought one of these off ebay about 2 years ago for £99 and it's been sat in my garage ever since so i'm gonna use it for something come hell or high water... i mean, i've sold it twice now and both times they never bothered to come and collect it:D

will it fit??

100_0101.jpg

i've made a few measurements and compared it to a 1.6 (aee) engine which i have kicking about and it does look hopeful, the width of the engine block is exactly the same as the 1.9 diesel unit

100_0103.jpg

the timing belt end of the engine has the same mounting holes for the brackets as the 1.9 AEF diesel engine except for one on the lower right which is not on this engine... but hey, 3 bolts would be ok :rubchin:

100_0102.jpg

the gearbox bellhouse mounting points are the same too :rubchin: except the ones on the sump... but they dont do anything anyway:rolleyes:

i need to find a felicia diesel in a breakers yard that i can rob some bits from, the bits i need from the diesel are

1. Right hand engine mounting backet - MADE ONE!

2. Engine-to-transmission bellhouse adaptor plate - GOT ONE

3. Flywheel- GOT ONE

Edited by TeflonTom

Hmmm, if the 2.0 fits so does the 1.8T ;)

tbh ross, that was my exact same thinking, although at this stage i'm thinking about using a felicia gearbox, then i will try and think of some way of getting a 020 box from a mk2 golf in there on the cheap, then it's just a short step to making the 20v unit fit in

you'll have to excuse my carlsberg-fueled drunken ramblings :o

the pics look a bit strange because of the angles they were taken at, but here is my preliminary findings

100_0112.jpg

1.6 engine, crankcase height from bottom of block to deck 280mm

100_0113.jpg

2.0 engine, as above, 280mm

further investigations has revealed this

100_0122.jpg

1.6 engine block to outer timing belt cover 70mm

100_0123.jpg

2.0 engine block to outer cover 50mm

which means all in the overall difference in width is only 1cm between the 2 engines :rubchin:

width-wise, it looks like it will fit with the v-belt pulley ending ud somewhere around here which gives about 2cm clearance to the chassis rail which is roughly where they are on the diesel felicia anyhow

100_0124.jpg

a scrap yeard neer me had a 1.9 diesel felly in

you any good with the spanners?? can you get the plate that goes between the engine and gearbox off it for me??? those things are hard to come by:)

Yeah, given that the 1.9D was a factory option, I'd expect the 2.0 8v to fit, with at most a power bulge bonnet.

Not quite so sure about the 1.8T; is its head the same width as the 2.0?

Not quite so sure about the 1.8T; is its head the same width as the 2.0?

yeah, upto a certain stage in production before the bores are machined, the engine block is exactly the same casting:)

Edited by TeflonTom

you must be thinking of the mk3 golf, in those the engine leans back about 30 degrees, for this engine it's only about 10 degrees

your right sir i was thinking mk3. that'll learn me to post when no no fit state!