would anyone trust this?

Yes. If you have a remap then they come in handy to upload the original ECU map back before service, warranty claims ETC, or just to put back to standard when SWMBO borrows the car.

If anybody fancies this route, then i suggest buying a remap file from a reputable source.

Tips = Make sure your battery is up to spec as a drop in voltage can fluff the upload.

Have a 12 Volt power supply handy in case you have to remove the ECU and

flash it on the bench.

Have a remappers mobile handy in case it does go pearshaped.

Many people have used these and had no problems, many other people have

had,probably down to knowledge more than the equipment.

Do Not use the files on the disk, i ended up with a Skoda Superb remap, boy did it fly. Had to get a fellow member to reflash it with the correct file. Even with my cockup (£150 to put right) i learnt quite a bit and all told it was still cheaper than a £300 remap. Although i am back to standard now i did learn quite a bit and do use my KWP2000 on the odd day to flash it and have a blast.

Edited by Mouse
Spelling

So, you can write your original factory map to the ecu from the files on their cds?

(after you have read and saved your remap of course?)

its a bit tempting...

Ask your original remaper for your original file. No and yes. You make a backup of your original ECU file, then upload your remap, reverse the procedure.

CD`s go in bin.:)

I've heard quite a few horror stories about these units. Namely, they're more than capable of removing the original file but sometimes struggle to put the new map on. It's up to you, but I wouldn't risk it.

I've heard quite a few horror stories about these units. Namely, they're more than capable of removing the original file but sometimes struggle to put the new map on. It's up to you, but I wouldn't risk it.

Its normally due to pilot error. People panic and turn ignition off, pull the unit out etc etc.

Would you carry out brain surgery on a close relative? If so, you should have no trouble with that kit. :cool:

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. :(

hello mouse, im vinny hows it goin?? ive just bought a kwp 2000+, and need help as none of the tuning files are properly described, do you have any ideas as to where to get the best files from,cheers any help at all would be massively appreciated, Vin.

There is lots of debate about the KWP2000 some people say the protocol is cloned or hacked but some say the KWP2000 is free to use, As far as I know at the moment not one company has come forward to say they own the right to KWP2000. The 1st company to launch the "kwp2000" (K-line wire protocol 2000) was all-car-racing.

But as more and more people have got there hands on the kwp2000 protocol, designs and software the price and quality of the tool has gone down hill fast as more and more people have jumped on the band wagon to profit from making a cheap remapping tool (loads of cheap clones from china with very poor build and soldering)

In the tuning game they are known as ECU killers due to the high write fail rate. If the flash fails / stops, or times out the ecu is as good as dead. You will need to take it to some one who has CMD, Byteshooter or Optican to repair the ecu, in some case the ecu will have to be taken apart and re-flashed on the bench. We are also constasntly fixing ecus which have been left for dead by the KWP2000 unit. some times it is user error ie,laptop going flat during the flash write, or turning the ignition off before 100% write.

The cheap tools will erase the whole flash all at once the write the new map back on one go. The tools which we use, and AMD, Revo, Custom Code, will erase one block of the map at a time, then write one block back, and so on.

Our new master Optican OBD tool has the function to recover failed flashes with out the need to open the ecu up.

I am not saying dont do it but if you do decide to take the risk with a kwp2000 make sure you have a good tuning comapny local to you who can bring life back to your ecu if you kill it. If you manage to make a good read and write then your quids in.

Your best option it to get it remapped by a company with the latest tools, and quality tried and tested files, There is not one tuner out there who can write a good custom remap from just a read file without the use of a dyno. You will more than likley pay for a custom remap but will be sent an off the shelf generic remap from a dvd from ebay which has come from Russian bedroom tuners who just add a 25+% to areas of the map file.

Regards

Nick

Looks like a fairly standard JTAG flash programming kit with a comprehensive number od cables and adapter for different interfaces.

If it's genuine and well made then I don't see why not as long as you:

- Have a way to do it on the desk if it goes wrong

- Have a way to get a re-mapper to do it for you on the desk if it goes pear shaped.

- Have the money to pay the re-mapper.