Dealer needs some of your help!

What would you consider buying?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What would you consider buying?

The Multitronic sounds like a beefed-up version of the DAF Variomatic, which was smooth if you didn't mind the engine screaming on take-off. I can't imagine Audi fitting crap boxes to their product, though.

I've ordered a 170CR Superb Elegance in Rosso Metallic, with upgraded sound, wood trim, ivory everything inside (except the floor-mats), Park Assist, boot nets and a dipping rear-view mirror - imagine having to specify that as an extra in this trim level - I just don't get it.

I went for the DSG because my current Octy Elegance has it and I've grown to love it over four trouble-free years. I deliberately didn't order paddles because they're an un-necessary add-on (on a wheel that turns more than 180 degrees) and can be distracting and even (although rarely) dangerous, compared to using the DSG manually. Even that's hardly necessary, especially in "S" mode. I went for the CR diesel because of the rating and the better technology. Hopefully, I'll get a good driving experience, with style thrown in :)

Ray

Edited by Argee

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

james - you know you NEED to order a petrol. You told me you thought it would be a good seller (or was that just salesman BS to get me to part with my money !!! LOL)

2 petrol out of 14 on the Mk11 register suggests you may have a point there.

but how many of those cars on the forum register are company / lease cars that HAD to be diesel ? . how many private buyers (ie those who will take an ex-demo from the dealer) bought diesel. I think the situation is also skewed by the fact that many petrol buyers will have had their cars delayed due to the shortages on the 1.8 TSi DSG cars (due to high demand globally i am told !!)

but how many of those cars on the forum register are company / lease cars that HAD to be diesel ?

I am one of those company car drivers for whom the choice of fuel is denied. In any case, I drive 30k miles a year, therefore, diesel is a no-brainer!

2 petrol out of 14 on the Mk11 register suggests you may have a point there.

I think I will order one for stock, not sure if it should be SE or an Elegance.

Then comes the problem with colours, interior, and options.

thanks for the info on the dsg........having read about it, it certainly looks a fantastic gearbox......but having read down the page and saw the advantages and disadvantages i didnt like the bit about the greater potential to have problems if things go wrong due to the complexity of the unit....and we arent talking about 300 quid for a gearbox are we......im thinking more like 1200-1500 for a replacement...as i dont think many mechanics want to strip and rebuild one of those things........manual gearbox for me unless i get a lifetime warranty for the dsg lol

thanks for the info on the dsg........having read about it, it certainly looks a fantastic gearbox......but having read down the page and saw the advantages and disadvantages i didnt like the bit about the greater potential to have problems if things go wrong due to the complexity of the unit....and we arent talking about 300 quid for a gearbox are we......im thinking more like 1200-1500 for a replacement...as i dont think many mechanics want to strip and rebuild one of those things........manual gearbox for me unless i get a lifetime warranty for the dsg lol

i see you point but you cant spend your whole car buying life planning for something to fail !!

many cars have reported failings. i reckon its luck of the draw. also remember poeple only moan on forums when things go wrong - you might read about 20 people with the same problem but dont read about the 100,000 other people without the problem !!

I bought the DSG as i like it and want it - i hope it serves me well but if it doesnt i will have to deal with it !!

thanks for the info on the dsg........having read about it, it certainly looks a fantastic gearbox......

It IS fantastic. Didn't you see Clarkson raving about the DSG fitted to the Audi TT (not that it's a natural endorsement, but they do tend to test hard and are scathing when things don't work, or are poor in design or execution)?

... but having read down the page and saw the advantages and disadvantages i didn't like the bit about the greater potential to have problems if things go wrong due to the complexity of the unit...

That's a given with anything mechanical, almost without exception. However, properly maintained and serviced, with a reasonable warranty period, I don't see what you're worried about. Rather, I do see, but you can't have driven one! Once you do, I'd bet that those nagging doubts will disappear, as mine did four years ago.

I'm quite a hard and demanding driver (probably my background), but I cannot fault the DSG, either fully automatic, sports mode or manually changed. I've just sold my Nov. 04 Octy Elegance PD DSG and the DSG was what swung it. I got £3K more than I was offered part-ex on a new Superb II, because it is immaculate and once the buyer drove it, that was that. I've still ordered the Superb II, for mid-January delivery, 170CR DSG Elegance with all the extra toys except the sunroof.

.... and we aren't talking about 300 quid for a gearbox are we......im thinking more like 1200-1500 for a replacement...as i dont think many mechanics want to strip and rebuild one of those things........manual gearbox for me unless i get a lifetime warranty for the dsg lol

Take into account that you'll rarely - if ever - be in the wrong gear, so that removes a lot of mechanical stresses. Like most complex equipment, if it's going to go pear-shaped, that usually happens within the first few months, but you're well covered with a new car waranty period. Drive one in heavy traffic, up or down a steep hill or in Cruise mode and you'll never go back. :)

Ray

maybe your right...maybe its me being a stickler for liking manual gearboxes and having grief with previous auto boxes, thats made me wary of dsg boxes.

i havent tried the dsg version of the superb......as id only want one now like....and im still liking my superb 140 6speed manual....and it still feels the same when i bought it two years ago....so when im flush i will look into the option of the dsg....and hope by then, all the issues will have been resolved

I swore would never get another auto after my 2.5 tiptronic superb 1 - but test drove a superb 2 dsg and thought it was tons better, so much so i bought one and have to say the dsg is an absolute dream and smooth especially when sitting in a jam, also you can even force a change in auto mode by using the paddles - though i do accept it is more complicated than a manual, but it is imho years ahead of a torque converter box, more important it is as much fun as a manual if you want it to be.

In that class of car definitely diesel/DSG............had enough of stirring gears all the time.........would only go back to manual for a Fabia vRS, (still miss my old one).

Black leather. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh, how I hate black car interiors. The world is increasingly grey and I want something to lighten the days plus - you're a long time in the dark in a coffin. Light interiors please but not grey !!

Mocha Brown and Light interior for preference.

End on mini-rant.

also you can even force a change in auto mode by using the paddles - .

I was told this was not possible ? are you saying that if you flip the paddles when the gear selector lever is in "D" it will still change the ratios ? if so this is good as my Audi tiptronic did this an it was a feature i liked.

(is yours petol or diesel ?)

thanks

You guy's shouldn't really compare Tip against DSG, there's no real comparison, DSG is an automated manual box that removes the chump from the shifter and does it faster than any human can.

As for the earlier reference to the DAF vario units, it's nothing like that either, these used to drive a belt and get tighter as it got faster, bit like a bloke with a shovel vs a JCB digger.

not comparing them directly but many of the features of the paddles are similar - even look like they came from the same parts bin.

the comment about the DAf was comparing it to the Audi multitronic box. i think it was just brought up for purposes of discussion about auto boxes in general.

not comparing them directly but many of the features of the paddles are similar - even look like they came from the same parts bin.

the comment about the DAf was comparing it to the Audi multitronic box. i think it was just brought up for purposes of discussion about auto boxes in general.

I wasn't slating anyone, just pointing out that DSG's are the next step in the manual evolution, even though they act like an auto, that's where it ends, it should really have it's own cat tbh.....the syncro saving mininised fuel/energy wasting box, my mate has one in his Octy and he says nothing can live with him at the lights,at 67 you'd think he'd know better, but he is a bit of a boy at heart.

having had a tiptronic i am looking forward to my DSG. the tip was good but i reckon the DSG is better. there were one or two things about the tip i didnt like (i think i am a manual driver at heart so found some things a bit odd). i reckon the DSG will be very close to teh driving experience of a manual without the effort of a clutch. i got hill hold though as i wasnt keen on the possibility of rolling back as my head says "auto car - cant roll back" !!!

i agree with your comments that it is a classification of gearbox on its own !!

I was told this was not possible ? are you saying that if you flip the paddles when the gear selector lever is in "D" it will still change the ratios ? if so this is good as my Audi tiptronic did this an it was a feature i liked.

(is yours petol or diesel ?)

thanks

yeah works - only tried it coz of posting saying you did not think you could - mines a diesel , will try again on way to work to make sure you can in all gears

Any chance of a Mk2 Superb which will match the performance, CO2 output and economy of my manual AWX Superb Mk1 with the same or greater towing capacity? My local dealer seems to have given up, even though I have had a really good offer for my old car.

Am I right in thinking that the Mk2 has the same utterly hopeless flop down rear seat fold as the later Mk1s? If so, no deal. I sometimes have to take the rear seats right out of my car and it's a pig to do because of the centre inertia belt.

My son's Passat banger (about '94) has seats which fold properly.

rotodiesel.

Am I right in thinking that the Mk2 has the same utterly hopeless flop down rear seat fold as the later Mk1s? If so, no deal. I sometimes have to take the rear seats right out of my car and it's a pig to do because of the centre inertia belt.

My son's Passat banger (about '94) has seats which fold properly.

rotodiesel.

Yep, same seats, although with the twindoor boot, it's less of an issue getting stuff in (used to have no end of trouble squeezing stuff under the rear sill on the MK I whilst making it over the rear seats)

I'm surprised they don't do the "lift up rear seats, fold down back into space" setup.