Anyone use show plates? - Not any more!

Yella

I believe it's like jurisdiction.

And the police will have no problems finding out when the plate was made. Ask the driver of the car and give him two options.

1) Give me the receipt that proves it was made/sold after 1st September this year and I'll let you off as long as you get it changed. The police then go after the shop that sold it.

2) If you don't give me the receipt I'll give you a £30 fixed penalty notice and force you to get them changed anyway.

Easy peasy. Not sure how many bobbies could actually be bothered but if a traffic officer stops you you're knackered!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the police will have no problems finding out when the plate was made. Ask the driver of the car and give him two options.

1) Give me the receipt that proves it was made/sold after 1st September this year and I'll let you off as long as you get it changed. The police then go after the shop that sold it.

2) If you don't give me the receipt I'll give you a £30 fixed penalty notice and force you to get them changed anyway.

Easy peasy. Not sure how many bobbies could actually be bothered but if a traffic officer stops you you're knackered!

i dont think anyones going to admit to purchasing it after the date unless they know nothing about the law.

chances are they will hit you with either a fine or a ticket to get it changed, depends on your attitude and how they decide to act on the offence.

I think this is the point, of course the old saying is "it's only illegal when you get caught"... live by the sword and all that.

In any case. Regardless of the "show plate" debate, will they also be going after suppliers/users of illegally spaced "legal" plates just as hard as those people who use "show" plates?

i thought the law came into force in october but this post says otherwise...

On this topic.

The new rules as advised by our Briskoda surrounds supplier are

' In order to comply with the British standard each Number Plate MUST be permanent and legibly marked ONLY with the following:

a The British Standard number

b The name, trademark or other means of identification of the Number Plate manufacturerer or compnent supplier; and

c. the name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

Please note that website addresses, telephone numbers and logos should NOT be used '

The above is an extract from the DVLA to number plate manufacturers

This will be enforcable from November 1st 2008.

Now the good news

The use of Number plate surrounds that are OUTSIDE the legal area of the Number plate are still legal, basically anything not on the Yellow (or white) part of the Number Plate.

Thus you can still use the Briskoda Number Plate surrounds - we have checked this out with supplier today. So if you want a set look in the shop area. - They are legal

Other alternatives are apparently going to be available shortly and we will explore the possibility of getting these when available. - We do not ar this stage have any indication of what or when - so please do not ask as we can not tell you!

so that gives two months left until legislation kicks in.

Just to clarify this one.

I am a Police Officer and we have had an official notification through (as we do whenever the law changes).

All number plate suppliers have to be registered with the DVLA. It is illegal to sell non road legal plates from 1st September 2008 HOWEVER number plate suppliers have until 1st November to register with the DVLA as official plate suppliers. That is why there are two different dates floating around.

If you been supplied plates after 1st September then it is 100% illegal for the company to supply them. You have committed no offence unless you use them on the road. If you do use them on the road then the process is as follows:

1) If you get stopped by the police you can be issued a £30 non-endorsable (no points on your licence) fixed penalty notice.

2) You may also receive a Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme (VDRS) notice. This is actually part of the HORT/1 (producer) tickets in North Yorkshire. This basically means that you must fit legal plates and take your car to any MOT testing station who will stamp the VDRS ticket (and may charge you for it) to say you have done so. You then have to produce this at a police station of your choice.

3) If after the above procedures have taken place you re-offend then the police can notify the DVLA that you have been mis-representing your vehicle registration mark and the DVLA will scrap it. This is an inconvenience to anyone as they will need to re-register their vehicle with the DVLA and cannot use it on the road until they have done so. BUT the biggy is if you have paid for a personal registration. Once the DVLA have been notified they will scrap the reg and it will NEVER be re-issued. You cannot buy the same reg back.

Do not worry about number plate surrounds. They are of no relevance so you can do what you please as long it does not breach any other traffic law!

3) If after the above procedures have taken place you re-offend then the police can notify the DVLA that you have been mis-representing your vehicle registration mark and the DVLA will scrap it. This is an inconvenience to anyone as they will need to re-register their vehicle with the DVLA and cannot use it on the road until they have done so. BUT the biggy is if you have paid for a personal registration. Once the DVLA have been notified they will scrap the reg and it will NEVER be re-issued. You cannot buy the same reg back.

Surely "mis-representing" your number plate has been a crime for years.

Why then are there people driving around with illegally spaced plates and "appropiately" placed yellow and black screws? Have they had their reg scrapped?

Anyway, thanks for the clarification :)

Surely "mis-representing" your number plate has been a crime for years.

Why then are there people driving around with illegally spaced plates and "appropiately" placed yellow and black screws? Have they had their reg scrapped?

Anyway, thanks for the clarification :)

Maybe I just haven't caught those people yet ;)

Unfortunately its yet another piece of legislation aimed at raising tax that will turn even more Mr averages against authority & unfortunately put more strain on the Police officers who many percieve as the face of authority & they will have to deal with more & more uncoperative people.

Be aware that I was nearly done for a slightly smaller font on my bike plate earlier this year after the MOT, had to have it changed. Luckily got a standard fully legal plate made by the local shop, non DVLA registered as the invoice says its a show plate no question asked. But if they make you a new plate after failing it on the MOT the DVLA have been known to send you a nasty fine for riding the bike to the test centre with an illegal plate. Sneaky barstewards:thumbdwn:

In any case. Regardless of the "show plate" debate, will they also be going after suppliers/users of illegally spaced "legal" plates just as hard as those people who use "show" plates?

illegally spaced plates are show plates.

any actual registration plate which doesnt conform to standards have been made as show plates, and this is what the legislation is targeting.

illegally spaced plates are show plates.

any actual registration plate which doesnt conform to standards have been made as show plates, and this is what the legislation is targeting.

Yeah, fair point.

I will wait and see! :)

*battens down the (hot) hatches*