Anyone use show plates? - Not any more!

Yella

From 1st September you will no longer be able to buy show plates. It is becoming illegal for suppliers to sell them regardless of what advice they give at the point of sale. £2500 fine for those ignoring the law.

So if anyone wants some show plates you best hurry!

And expect a police drive on fining people using show plates on the road after this date.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know specifically to which locality the legislation applies to? How about a supplier in Northern Ireland, selling plates by mail order/internet?

Can't see this stopping it completely. I welcome the tightening of the law and hope it makes some difference. At the same time, it's a shame - because there are some totally legitimate situations where they're very useful. When your car is parked up at a show, for example :)

Cheers,

Steve

show plates are anything that dont conform to british standard.

i would think this covers plates with your registration on them as opposed to a plate with 'BRISKODA.net' on it.

wheres the source of this info?

Was a nightmare near me anyway to use show plates as there's a copper who goes around all the suppliers and checks there books and visits all the people who have bought show plates to make sure there not using them on the road!!!

never bothered me as I have fully legal plates any way!!!

i just spoke to my dad who has a car accessory shop and he confirmed this is the case as they've had to register with the dvla and i know that the software used already keeps a log of every plate that is made up.

means i wont be able to make up plates as i'm not registered and i'm not going to either but my plates are usually legal anyway with some tweaks.

............................but my plates are usually legal anyway with some tweaks.

erm, a bit like the red and black ones with a bar code as per TRAX last year you mean? :rofl:

erm, a bit like the red and black ones with a bar code as per TRAX last year you mean? :rofl:

:rofl:

the police stopped me the night before TRAX as i drove around town with them, they even made me change them back there and then then gave me a ticket as my 'standard' plates weren't legal either. :rofl:

when i said tweaks i mean likes of my CZ band which is to the letter of the law, not part of my plate anymore, so i look forward to the day mr traffic officer decides to try issue me with a ticket for them. :thumbup:

when i said tweaks i mean likes of my CZ band which is to the letter of the law, not part of my plate anymore, so i look forward to the day mr traffic officer decides to try issue me with a ticket for them. :thumbup:

Which by sheer coincidence will be around the time he gets his back up, so inevitably he will probably go through the car with a fine tooth comb until he finds something else. :rolleyes:

Remember nobody likes a smartarse.

Which by sheer coincidence will be around the time he gets his back up, so inevitably he will probably go through the car with a fine tooth comb until he finds something else. :rolleyes:

Remember nobody likes a smartarse.

i did talk my plans through with a traffic officer who found what i was doing to be fine although he did specify he wasn't talking on behalf of the entire police force, he did seem to find it amusing i'd went to this kind of length to stay legal but look good.

Anything on the number plate - be it a Briskoda logo, vrs logo etc is not legal. It needs to conform to the font, sizes, reflective background, bs number, and postcode of origin. Also a Euro flag with UK/GB etc is legal, anything else is not legal at all.

A bit pedantic if you ask me. Some plod round here actually carry a small metal ruler just for measuring plate fonts. Good job there is no crime eh.

Wearing my conformist hat..

Police ANPR systems will work more effectively if all plates are to one standard.

There are also plans I believe to make 'smart' plates to make ringing more difficult. This may well mean there will be far fewer businesses able to make plates in future.

I think anyone using a NP with wrong spacing, sizes etc will have more and more PC plods feeling their collars. Ah well!!!

On this topic.

The new rules as advised by our Briskoda surrounds supplier are

' In order to comply with the British standard each Number Plate MUST be permanent and legibly marked ONLY with the following:

a The British Standard number

b The name, trademark or other means of identification of the Number Plate manufacturerer or compnent supplier; and

c. the name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

Please note that website addresses, telephone numbers and logos should NOT be used '

The above is an extract from the DVLA to number plate manufacturers

This will be enforcable from November 1st 2008.

Now the good news

The use of Number plate surrounds that are OUTSIDE the legal area of the Number plate are still legal, basically anything not on the Yellow (or white) part of the Number Plate.

Thus you can still use the Briskoda Number Plate surrounds - we have checked this out with supplier today. So if you want a set look in the shop area. - They are legal

Other alternatives are apparently going to be available shortly and we will explore the possibility of getting these when available. - We do not ar this stage have any indication of what or when - so please do not ask as we can not tell you!

Wearing my conformist hat..

Police ANPR systems will work more effectively if all plates are to one standard.

There are also plans I believe to make 'smart' plates to make ringing more difficult. This may well mean there will be far fewer businesses able to make plates in future.

I think anyone using a NP with wrong spacing, sizes etc will have more and more PC plods feeling their collars. Ah well!!!

If it means that plod can nick more car thieves, car tax evaders, vehicles with no insurance and other undesirable scumbags then I'm all for a crack down.

If it means that plod can nick more car thieves, car tax evaders, vehicles with no insurance and other undesirable scumbags then I'm all for a crack down.

I'm all for that. those who chose to use 'altered' NP's must have known the law would soon tighten. (my-' ah well!' was satirical)!!:thumbup:

From 1st September you will no longer be able to buy show plates. It is becoming illegal for suppliers to sell them regardless of what advice they give at the point of sale. £2500 fine for those ignoring the law.

So if anyone wants some show plates you best hurry!

And expect a police drive on fining people using show plates on the road after this date.

As a man on the inside, I can confirm that this is correct. :thumbup:

I was going to put a post on myself but kept forgetting lol

SHow plates should have been banned years ago. They cause countless deaths on the road, murder innocent people and rape young women..... up the bum.

I think you'll find most of them are paedophiles too and often make suggestive videos!