Bluetooth kit

Didn't bother with in car fitted devices. Bought a supertooth bluetooth visor fitted device. About £40 works great and lasts weeks on a single charge (from the lighter with supplied lead)

and for that £40 can you scroll through your phone book and make calls without taking your hands of the steering wheel? Do you get a nice clear display of the number/name that is calling you?

I think not :D

Be not so sceptical No Waiting. The supertooth voice I have can upload the memories of up to 5 phones, with it taking all the voice dials. Why scroll when you can push one button and it accepts your voice dial commands, answer it with a button or just with saying 'OK' or 'accept call'. When ringing it will read out who is on the line by memory id or if not in there by number. Plus you can move it from car to car.

Nope it doesn't. Have had it 2 months now and have charged it three times. Gives you a verbal low battery message, just have to plug it in to charge and keep the conversation going if really need to. Same connector as my Garmin sat nav and usb connector for computer if don't want to charge in the car.

I have just installed a Bury CC9060 unit in the car and would recommend that if you wanted an installed bluetooth handsfree kit. It comes with a detachable colour screen, full voice recognition (that does not need training), it will recognise any name you say that is in your phone book and it will even read out text messages. As it is installed I have no batteries to run out half way through a conversation and it also cuts the stereo when a call comes in. At only £200 installed it is not as cheap as a visor mount or earpiece unit but is a lot cheaper than retro fitting the official Skoda unit (although if you do have maxi dot/steering wheel controls then I am sure the official unit will look much nicer- I have neither so much happier to go Bury route).

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you locate the displays on the non-integrated kits?

I'm thinking about getting the integrated kit bits as I don't like the Parrot kits, etc with the large displays.

However a simple kit would do fine if there's a good way of hiding it.

I have just installed a Bury CC9060 unit in the car and would recommend that if you wanted an installed bluetooth handsfree kit. It comes with a detachable colour screen, full voice recognition (that does not need training), it will recognise any name you say that is in your phone book and it will even read out text messages. As it is installed I have no batteries to run out half way through a conversation and it also cuts the stereo when a call comes in. At only £200 installed it is not as cheap as a visor mount or earpiece unit but is a lot cheaper than retro fitting the official Skoda unit (although if you do have maxi dot/steering wheel controls then I am sure the official unit will look much nicer- I have neither so much happier to go Bury route).

I have just installed one of these in my Freelander Van and has a second vote of brilliance from me.

I have the OEM kit from Stu, and to be honest if the 9060 had been out at the time then it would of been a tough choice between the two.

The 9060 is superb, especially as they go for £120. I paid an extra £12 for a SOT lead to connect to the Ford based head unit in the FL and was basically plug and play. Took about 2 and half hours all in to install (including taking out the center console to get the HU out).

It has 4 colour modes, auto switching for day/night, reads out texts, access phone book by voice, dial by voice, access SMS by voice, missed calls etc by voice, downloads PB quickly (phone dependant), shows phone battery level, signal strength on display. Voice quality is excellent on both ends at 70mph. Can also stream music via BT to it, as long as you have an AUX in cable attatched to it.

They also do a 9040 which is an all in one, no install jobby that has the same screen display and voice control as the 9060 which is supposedly good too. Mine needs to be an installed one as the FL van will be louder inside and needs the audio coming through the speakers.

Steve

I located my screen on the right of the steering wheel on the top of the dash. This means it is partially obscured from the outside by the pillar but gives me easy viewing (also with in easy reach with my right hand). I you do a search in the Octavia II forum under Bury then there should be some pics in the thread of where my screen is.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little confused that you say you have the Factory option installed. Are you based outside of the UK?

If you have the kit that I think you have then I don't think there is a way to voice activate a call without pressing the button on the cradle which is normally fitted with factory installations.

Just received my new vRS HB with Bluetooth option factory installed.

I'm just wondering how can I give the voice commands without the MFS?

I've tried every single button inside the car without results :D

Pretty sure you can't. I have factory BT fitted in my vRS and it only works using the buttons on the right stalk. It requires a multi-function steering wheel to use voice activated commands, so would work in a L&K or if you retro fitted a Golf GTI steering wheel or possibly A3 one - but then the boss won't match up, etc. etc.

It's about time Skoda offered a MF steering wheel for the vRS IMO.

Are you based outside of the UK?

I'm from Finland. I read about the cradle from the manual, but it didn't came with the BT option, and it wasn't in the options list either. I guess I will have to get me a Golf GTI steering wheel then :( Those bloody beancounters :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think there is a way to voice activate a call without pressing the button on the cradle which is normally fitted with factory installations.

I have started to wonder, if it would be possible to use an external button to activate the voice control? I guess it could work if you activate the MFS through VCDS and to find a correct place in the wiring loom to install a switch for voice command? *high hopes*

Its more than just a button, the MFSW uses a different steering controller and its this that sends a signal via canbus to the kit. Canbus is like ethernet is to a computer, so you would need something to send the appropriate data to the kit.

Its more than just a button, the MFSW uses a different steering controller and its this that sends a signal via canbus to the kit. Canbus is like ethernet is to a computer, so you would need something to send the appropriate data to the kit.

So a new controller and a button then. Still better choice for me than change the whole steering wheel, because i'm only after the voice command button.