vRS PD 170 - engine management software disk & part

My vRS 170PD went for service on Monday. I was told the engine management software needs updating with a CD and that a part needed to be fitted. Any idea what it's for and how crucial it is?

I'm off on hols on Friday so need to know if I need to get it done quick or not. Funny thing is the car has been running fantastically for the last 2-3K so I'm a bit wary about fixing what doesn't appear to be broken ahead of a big trip across Europe.

Thoughts?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it could be the DPF update.

My Leon 170 was serviced the other week then a few days later the emmissions light came on, took it in and they carried out the DPF update which fixed it. So it looks like my dealer was taking the "if it aint broke" view of things! :D

Spoke to the skoda dealer where i bought mine from the other day ref this , apparently its an E.C.U upgrade & a sensor replacement ? dunno which one (think its to do with the DPF / exhaust pressure switch) had mine replaced few months back thanks to vRSPhil with his VAG.COM software :thumbup: so just needs the software upgrade .

The garage reckon it will take 1.25 hrs to do / install / test everything . got it booked in for 1st week in September . . . fingers crossed its ok when they have done it , my opinion is the same "if its not broke why fix it"

Edited by smog monster

OK - thanks for the info guys. Already had a replacement exhaust pressure sensor about 6 months ago with no recurrence of DPF light since - so I'm going to leave it for now.

Cheers,

CJ

Might be worth un-insalling it , according to the dealership the E.C.U upgrade totally deletes all the information from the E.C.U then re-installs the new stuff , so might save you a few quid .

By the way , i was looking at getting a Blue-fin , do u think its worth it & do u notice the difference

cheers

Might be worth un-insalling it , according to the dealership the E.C.U upgrade totally deletes all the information from the E.C.U then re-installs the new stuff , so might save you a few quid .

By the way , i was looking at getting a Blue-fin , do u think its worth it & do u notice the difference

cheers

You will DEFINATELY notice it!!! I was worried about this, but went for it anyway (REVO not Blu-fin) and was astounded!!!! But had it removed due to DPF issues and the fact that my tyres weren't holding up very well!! ;)

I would HIGHLY recommend it though!

Hmmm.

I may need to get onto this Update ASAP - my DPF Light came on earlier (first time ever @ 36400 miles) - i was at the end of our lane, 1 mile later at home. Went out this evening, and straight after starting the car had the DPF and Exhaust Control System light on - did 25 miles of the DPF Regen cycle as stated in the Manual, and no better - then my Glow Plug light came on and started flashing and put the car into limp mode.

According to the book the possibilities are, my Filter is blocked/full, a Controller/Sensor in the exhaust has failed (probably Lambda) and then the Glow Plugs/Engine Control loight is flashing - could be related to the duff exhaust sensor....

Not happy, supposed to be going on Holiday on Monday, and have no appointment to get the car looked at, so will have to just turn up at a dealers....

If you have the update you should speak to Superchips and ask them to allow you to download the new file from your car and then send that to them to be modified.

Any remap should only use the modified version of the most current file on your car.

As Ross points out, if you have the update carried out and then continue to use the current Bluefin file you'll have wasted everyones time.

ok have spoekn with my dealer he tells me they dont have th cd rom yet but will let me know when they do, platinum bath, so do i unbluefin then downl;oad new file or do i just let them write over it and then download this and send to superchips?

I had cause to see the Skoda service guys a few days ago and they mentioned a SW update and possible sensor change was advised in a technical bullletin on August 6th.

I gave the service guy a story of why I couldn't book it in now, and that genuinely I have had no issues and was happy not to fix what aint broke (erm, didn't mention SuperChips :o).

But on reflection, there may be further warranty issues if you deny a Skoda advised upgrade, plus the techy will probably sneak it in the next service it gets anyway.

I have now spoken to SuperChips and they said, firstly, re-remaps are lifetime free if they are lost (although that is a commitment that the Buckingham HQ makes, the franchise remappers are free to make their own commitments or not), and second, that it is still worth getting the Skoda updates as the SC maps overlay any additional ECU parameters loaded by Skoda and the engine fuelings make up only a part of the onboard software upgrades.

Unfortunately, my remap just predates the remote BlueFin option, fortunatley I only live 30/40 miles from SuperChips.

Looks like another drop-in and a quick breakfast at Tesco next door :thumbup:

Edited by VRS195

@ djgritt - I had the same symptoms you described. The car was towed back to the dealer who did manually cleared the DPF and cleared all the fault codes.

When I asked them why the DPF might have become blocked, they basically said I was doing too many short journeys. I pointed out we had just driven up to Scotland from Reading and were driving along a open highland road when the car went in to limp home mode, so the short journey argument didn't really stack up.

All was fine until earlier this week (about month/1700 miles after the car was 'fixed') when the emissions light came on again. Took it back to garage yesterday (Whitequay in Reading). This time the dealer has diagnosed a faulty sensor (they would need to order in) and said it also required a software update. That was yesterday and I'm still waiting to get it back. A bit poor really, considering they have had it since 9:15 yesterday morning.

I'll update later when I get it back!

Edited by DGW
Default font reset

Unfortunately, my remap just predates the remote BlueFin option, fortunatley I only live 30/40 miles from SuperChips.

Maybe you can get a deal on the upgrade.

Next to the bluefin it is good to have VCDS. So you can remove all the faultcodes that are left after changing the files.

You can do this also with the bluefin device, is just a bit more complicated (Imho).

I always do a complete scan before and after I changed files with the bluefin (and store them on my little laptop).

Another good thing of the bluefin is the possibility to mail with superchips. If you are not realy satisfied with the mapping, they will (almost) immediately send another file to try. Had 3 different maps on mine and am very satisfied with the last one. Although I think my second one would suit GB driving more (super flexibility and enough topend).

By the way, for VCDS I have a little Asus Eee 900 with XP instead of Linux. Always with me if I am in the car and easy to use.