vRS PD 170 - engine management software disk & part

I thought it was much better pull low down, and they had removed the slightly stuttery bridge from non-turbo to turbo region (ie the 1,900/2,000 rpm ridge). It seemed much more responsive and more refined/smooth low down.

I even considered not having the SuperChips remapped as it was such as sweet engine now and I didn't want to ruin it.

But I was convined by SC that their map overlays the original, plus the fact I had already bought the SC map and you can't ignore outright

P O W E R ! - the SC remap has now been reloaded.

But I genuinely miss the ease of driving of the new standard map, it felt like the cat had been removed or some other blockage/constriction in its breathing.

Both before and after SC I think the power is more progressive, .....

My next task, as I want to (and am able) to get my car remapped, is to talk to Superchips to establish whether their remap will be OK over the 'new' recall 26E6 map.

In reloading your Superchips 'map' has the car retained the 26E6 map characteristics? Smoother, more progressive power delivery up to c.2,500rpm.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...interesting. Do you know if 26E6 campaign is applicable all over europe or uk, only?

Kind regards,

Stefano

Blind Rudolph! :rofl: :rofl: (no eye dear = no idea)

If you are outside UK I'd ask your dealer but I would expect it to be Worldwide and probably also for Audi, VW and SEAT cars that use the PD170 engine.

My next task, as I want to (and am able) to get my car remapped, is to talk to Superchips to establish whether their remap will be OK over the 'new' recall 26E6 map.

In reloading your Superchips 'map' has the car retained the 26E6 map characteristics? Smoother, more progressive power delivery up to c.2,500rpm.

It does seem a tad more progressive, but the Skoda map may have fuelled up the pre turbo region to smooth out, and pretty much left the post turbo region alone. This would give a smoother transition (bear in mind, it is highly likely that due to original DPF settings and emissions in general, pre turbo fueling is highly restricted to reduce unburnt hydrocarbons or SOOT!, I am assuming 26E6 posts a less nannying sensor and ecu)

The SC map will have no issue with skoda's pre turbo increased fuelling and may indeed increase it further, however post turbo fuelling will be increased by another 15% or more, so you get something of a step again.

I will be interested to RR it again and see if their are any characteristics changes.

It does seem a tad more progressive, but the Skoda map may have fuelled up the pre turbo region to smooth out, and pretty much left the post turbo region alone. This would give a smoother transition (bear in mind, it is highly likely that due to original DPF settings and emissions in general, pre turbo fuelling is highly restricted to reduce unburned hydrocarbons or SOOT!, I am assuming 26E6 posts a less nannying sensor and ecu)

The SC map will have no issue with skoda's pre turbo increased fuelling and may indeed increase it further, however post turbo fuelling will be increased by another 15% or more, so you get something of a step again.

I will be interested to RR it again and see if their are any characteristics changes.

Thanks; your explanation is understood and sound eminently plausible.

I have had a couple of interesting phone discussions with Revo and Superchips this afternoon. I rang them both and explained PD 170 engine with DPF and new OE (26E6) ECU map and got most interesting responses;

Revo. Ah! PD170 engine, hmm. We are not developing that at the moment, assessing feasibility, will support existing customers, but not confident at present, DPF issues on some but not all cars (no rhyme or reason) and are discussing whether or not to continue development and marketing remap. Only way to load/unload ecu map (in event of OE change in the future) would be to revisit dealer.

Superchips. Ah! PD170 engine, yup; no problem. New OE map? Yup, no problem; buy a Bluefin, download existing (26E6) map, e-mail it to us; we will remap, return it to you and then do Bluefin Install.

Seems like a no-brainer - got to get a Bluefin. :D

Superchips. Ah! PD170 engine, yup; no problem. New OE map? Yup, no problem; buy a Bluefin, download existing (26E6) map, e-mail it to us; we will remap, return it to you and then do Bluefin Install.

Seems like a no-brainer - got to get a Bluefin. :D

No stocks of Chippeduk here, but Simon wrote me the same thing should Skoda apply any change on ECU sw. Many claims that chippeduk maps were smoother than SC ones, although I did never drive a SC'd one.

Now, I'm just going to read my map, after my recent service.

Overall I feel like I have a new car. How it has been achieved I could only speculate but it would be interesting to see a power/torque graph from a rolling road to compare it to before. I've only driven 50 miles so far and will have to adapt my driving style to the new map but I'm sure it is for the better. Well done Skoda!

Mine is being re-RR'd on 29th November, and my ECU Flash for 26E6 is happenign on Saturday - so unless someone beats me to it, i'll post the graph in comparison to the last once done...

No stocks of Chippeduk here, but Simon wrote me the same thing should Skoda apply any change on ECU sw. Many claims that chippeduk maps were smoother than SC ones, although I did never drive a SC'd one.

Now, I'm just going to read my map, after my recent service.

First thing, also in Germany they do the 26E6 campaign. So it will be a campaign that comes from the factory for all RS-TDIs.

Second thing, if you are not satisfied with the SC mapping. Just send an email to SC and give your remarks to your mapping (I did). They will send you revised mapping. I had 3 different ones.

First one had a little shuddering between 100 and 115 mph, which annoyed me on the autobahn.

Second mapping was much smoother (this is the mapping I would advise, if not running full throttle on the autobahn as much as we can) and very comfortable and economic to drive. Still had a lot more torque than the original, but lacked a bit of topend compared to the first mapping I had.

I then mailed them again and asked if I could have a little more topend, because I missed it too much on long stretches of autobahn :D

They didnt hesitate and supplied a third mapping almost immediately :thumbup:

This is the mapping I am driving for over 10000km now and am more than very pleased with.

So if you think the mapping is too harsh or if your not satisfied, just ask the boys of SC. They dont bite. :D

Only thing now is, I still have to get my 26E6 update. Will contact SC before though. (they will clear your bluefin, so that you can load the latest (26E6) mapping to your bluefin and send it to them. They will then write a new mapping for your car and will make you able to download it to your bluefin).

And else, No I am not selling for SC :rofl: (drill teeth for my money :eek:).

I am just a very satisfied customer.

Your still not to late for Saturday's RR day in Canterbury :thumbup:

http://briskoda.net/south-east-skoda-meets/kent-rolling-road-day-27th-sept/118131/

Thanks for the heads up, but I will be at home :( selling my MR2 hopefully :) (the guy is coming from Sheffield to Hertfordshire, so I am guessing he is serious!)

If you are interested, here it is (or was? perhaps I should have had my "garage" listed in my sig?)

Toyota MR-2 GT T-bar

First thing, also in Germany they do the 26E6 campaign. So it will be a campaign that comes from the factory for all RS-TDIs.

Second thing, if you are not satisfied with the SC mapping. Just send an email to SC and give your remarks to your mapping (I did). They will send you revised mapping. I had 3 different ones.

First one had a little shuddering between 100 and 115 mph, which annoyed me on the autobahn.

Second mapping was much smoother (this is the mapping I would advise, if not running full throttle on the autobahn as much as we can) and very comfortable and economic to drive. Still had a lot more torque than the original, but lacked a bit of topend compared to the first mapping I had.

I then mailed them again and asked if I could have a little more topend, because I missed it too much on long stretches of autobahn :D

They didnt hesitate and supplied a third mapping almost immediately :thumbup:

This is the mapping I am driving for over 10000km now and am more than very pleased with.

So if you think the mapping is too harsh or if your not satisfied, just ask the boys of SC. They dont bite. :D

Only thing now is, I still have to get my 26E6 update. Will contact SC before though. (they will clear your bluefin, so that you can load the latest (26E6) mapping to your bluefin and send it to them. They will then write a new mapping for your car and will make you able to download it to your bluefin).

And else, No I am not selling for SC :rofl: (drill teeth for my money :eek:).

I am just a very satisfied customer.

Hi magic62,

thanks for info on 26E6 campaign.

Just to clarify that I didn't mean you are selling for SC and that I'm a CUK satisfied customer, in a situation similar to yours for what's bout 26E6 campaign.

And my topend extends well beyond the original one :D:D:D

Seconded - my Job Chit had 'Recall 26E6' on it too...

But i was referring to it as Campaign 26E6

It may be noted as a 'Recall' BUT no-one called my car in for it; I had to go to my dealer with a problem and they then did the recall 26E6 update etc.

Seems like Skoda UK are being economic with their efforts; in other words, if an owner doesn't have a 'problem' then they won't go out to fix it.

Got it back yesterday with the ECU Flashed - haven't noticed any major differences really, just as mentioned the torque seems to be a little bit more progressive at the lower rev band than before - might have been because i was expecting a difference, ill not be using it for a week from this afternoon, may notice a difference when i start using again next weekend...

My 07 VRS TDi had the recall carried out yesterday and I managed to glean some info off the very helpful chap at Telfords in Carlisle.

The details of the 26E6 campaign should help most of our woes regarding the DPF.

The DPF pressure sensor has been replaced with a new unit with a different hysterisis - so switches your car into limp mode later rather than sooner as your filter starts to clog. This gives it more time to clean itself. The old one was too conservative erring on the extreme side of caution.

The software update carried out shouldn't really affect performance. here are the details;

Before the update as the DPF started to get choked a cleaning solution was injected into the DPF which helps to shift the soot. This injection used to be triggered by a % of dirtyness reached in the DPF (this is not of much use when the car is doing a lot of stop starts and never really completing the cleaning routine)

The new software mod regularly injects the cleaning solution into the DPF to maintain the unit with a higher degree of cleanliness instean of waiting for it to get dirty and then cleaning it.

If you haven't had the recall, give your garage a ring and see if it required on your particular car.

It can only be of help - especially if you have or are thinking of remapping your engines.

I'm pretty sure the Octy doesn't use the 'cleaning solution' which is actually uric acid. The superb has a tank fitted in the rear and uses the acid because the DPF is further back along the exhaust and cannot get hot enough to burn off the soot. I'm pretty sure the Octy relies wholly on heat as the DPF is nearer the engine.

And once again it isn't a recall, it's a campaign. Recalls are very important safety issues which are registered with VOSA.

My 07 VRS TDi had the recall carried out yesterday and I managed to glean some info off the very helpful chap at Telfords in Carlisle.

The details of the 26E6 campaign should help most of our woes regarding the DPF.

The DPF pressure sensor has been replaced with a new unit with a different hysterisis - so switches your car into limp mode later rather than sooner as your filter starts to clog. This gives it more time to clean itself. The old one was too conservative erring on the extreme side of caution.

The software update carried out shouldn't really affect performance. here are the details;

Before the update as the DPF started to get choked a cleaning solution was injected into the DPF which helps to shift the soot. This injection used to be triggered by a % of dirtyness reached in the DPF (this is not of much use when the car is doing a lot of stop starts and never really completing the cleaning routine)

The new software mod regularly injects the cleaning solution into the DPF to maintain the unit with a higher degree of cleanliness instead of waiting for it to get dirty and then cleaning it.

If you haven't had the recall, give your garage a ring and see if it required on your particular car.

It can only be of help - especially if you have or are thinking of remapping your engines.

Excellent info; many thanks.

Seems like this will ease any potential problems for those going for a remap (like me) knowing that the DPF will be kept clean regularly, rather than just blocking up.

Have you noticed the change of response and the power characteristics up to 2,000 - 2,500rpm?

One thought; I seem to be getting better mpg since the 26E6 upgrade, whilst this might be because my driving has had a little less town driving in the last 10 days, it might also be due to the DPF being less restrictive, creating less back pressure in the exhaust; there giving better performance/economy.

I'm pretty sure the Octy doesn't use the 'cleaning solution' which is actually uric acid. The superb has a tank fitted in the rear and uses the acid because the DPF is further back along the exhaust and cannot get hot enough to burn off the soot. I'm pretty sure the Octy relies wholly on heat as the DPF is nearer the engine.

And once again it isn't a recall, it's a campaign. Recalls are very important safety issues which are registered with VOSA.

Good point Stu; you most likely correct on this (you usually are).

So perhaps this will mean there will be the discreet 'regeneration' more often (1,000rpm tickover and gruff engine/exhaust note) to keep the DPF more soot free.

I'm just going off what the service manager said, re: cleaning solution. It seemed to make sense to me at the time.

It would be interesting to do a power comparison on the car before and after because I heard a whisper from REVO that this campaign also reduces the engine output is certain areas of the rev range....... hmmmmm.

How's everyone getting on with their Bluefin units?

I agree with Stu, the 'cleansing' of the DPF is done by injecting excess fuel which burns off the soot (hence the characteristic rough running during the regeneration cycle). After all, if there was a 'cleaning solution' there would be a reservoir somewhere and the need to keep it topped up (which there isn't).

It would be interesting to do a power comparison on the car before and after because I heard a whisper from REVO that this campaign also reduces the engine output is certain areas of the rev range....... hmmmmm.

Power delivery is certainly smoother and less 'peaky' up to 2,500prm, it may even be that there is a degree of 'torque limiting' when in 1st & 2nd gears programmed into the ECU. Initial throttle response though has been improved.

The (whispered) comments from REVO are indeed interesting because when I spoke to them only a week ago they told me;

"Ah! PD170 engine, hmm. We are not developing that at the moment, assessing feasibility, will support existing customers, but not confident at present, DPF issues on some but not all cars (no rhyme or reason) and are discussing whether or not to continue development and marketing remap."

How's everyone getting on with their Bluefin units?

I'm hoping to get my Bluefin installed at Superchips HQ in Buckingham in 10 days time and have agreed that they will do a before and after rolling road run. This can then be used for comparison as I have a RR day printout from earlier this year.

Good point Stu; you most likely correct on this (you usually are).

So perhaps this will mean there will be the discreet 'regeneration' more often (1,000rpm tickover and gruff engine/exhaust note) to keep the DPF more soot free.

...bingo! found the reason of the 1,000rpm tickover !!!! Thank you! Couldn't yet do a diff between chippeduk remapped file and map after service, in order to understand if something changed meanwhile. Anyway the car is no more rough like before remapping.

One thought; I seem to be getting better mpg since the 26E6 upgrade, whilst this might be because my driving has had a little less town driving in the last 10 days, it might also be due to the DPF being less restrictive, creating less back pressure in the exhaust; there giving better performance/economy.

Following on from Bahnstormers post.

Has anyone else who has had the update carried out noticed a difference in MPG?

My car has been returning a displayed 33 ish MPG religiously on the commute to work. Which when checked the old fashioned way was not far away. Now since the update and a fresh tank of fuel, it is "displaying" 42 on the same journey, same speed, same stop/starts. Nothing else has been done to the car.

I'm going to check the actual MPG next time I fill up, but that is a heck of a difference!!!

Any one else with anything to report since the update?

Following on from Bahnstormers post.

Has anyone else who has had the update carried out noticed a difference in MPG?

My car has been returning a displayed 33 ish MPG religiously on the commute to work. Which when checked the old fashioned way was not far away. Now since the update and a fresh tank of fuel, it is "displaying" 42 on the same journey, same speed, same stop/starts. Nothing else has been done to the car.

I'm going to check the actual MPG next time I fill up, but that is a heck of a difference!!!

Any one else with anything to report since the update?

I've now run two tankfuls of fuel since my 26E6 update and seem to be getting 3 - 4mpg (using the MFD) better fuel consumption.

Your 8 - 10mpg improvement is nowt short of amazing.

Mind you; if you were only getting 33mpg before, your commute must have been urban/congested all the way. At least I get 4 miles A-road, 14 miles M'way & 7 miles urban/congested to even out the consumption.

On another note; I have just booked in with Superchips to get my Bluefin remap with RR tests and printouts done on Wednesday next week. Excited. ;):D