Wobblytickle Nipple Mate

Having trouble performing the Nipple Mod and thus not experiencing the joys of cramming at least another 10 litres of go-go juice into you motor and not seeing the fuel needle deflect for 100 miles or so?

That's assuming, of course, you can even find the nipple in the first place!

Alternatively, perhaps you have found it, but are sick of the fill to brim, push nipple, hear hiss, brim again, push nipple again rigmarole, or even jamming a dinky digit twixt nozzle and nipple and getting all dervy and finger crushy in the process.

Well, Wobblytickle Heavy Industries has the answer, and all you are going to need to hit Nipple Nirvana is a 14cm length of 2mm diameter copper wire (as found lying on the floor of my local Kwik-Fit), a pair of pliers and five minutes (and maybe a file if you want to smooth any rough edges).

Pictures say a thousand words, so here are a few (including additional words):

23897.attach

The Wobblytickle Nipple Mate (actual size-ish on my PC at least; 1280x1024px).

23898.attach

The tool in position.

23899.attach

A close-up of the end of the tool disappearing into a convenient wee hole inside the nipple. Note that the nipple is pushed fully forward.

23900.attach

A view from our underneath cam to better resolve the tool's kinkiness and reveal how it achieves its limpet-like grip.

23901.attach

The tool stored snugly courtesy of a handy drain hole to insert one end into and the fuel filler ring providing just the right compression to stop the other end from jiggling one little bit.

* Rest assured the filler cap fits just fine. Indeed, I have a pic, but alas the uploads maxed out at 5.

** In other news, the Wobblytickle Nipple Mate also works on a pal's petrol 20V Turbo Passat (not advised on petrols, folks; petrol expands when heated, derv not so much), albeit by pushing the nipple forward, rather than the end fitting inside.

Edited by Mr Wobblytickle

Alternatively, perhaps you have found it, but are sick of the fill to brim, push nipple, hear hiss, brim again, push nipple again rigmarole, or even jamming a dinky digit twixt nozzle and nipple and getting all dervy and finger crushy in the process.

Or simply push the nipple forward with the end of the fuel nozzle and just fill slightly slower ! :D

Top marks for your invention though.

Now go get it patented :)

Or simply push the nipple forward with the end of the fuel nozzle and just fill slightly slower!

Slower!? That's crazy talk! :eek:

I always insist on fueling my motor in an F1 pit stop-stylee in keeping with the Ferrari-developed V-Power ethos.

Also, for me at least, the nipple keeps popping back when using the nozzle push technique and there was always the risk of frothy derv belching from the filler if I were to get trigger happy.

And then there's the fun of devising a simple solution to a problem that (some might say) never existed.

PS - The guy with the Passat I mentioned (a mechanic) wants me to scan the Nipple Mate so he can fashion one out of stainless steel, heat it and quench it so it's super springy (one thing that the copper wire certainly aint). While I fully accept that this may be taking things a bit too far, it would be kinda cool. Boys and their toys etc...

Also, you have to be carfull, because that air you let out is all part of the expansion system when the fuel is returned to the tank warm from the engine.

Never fill it right up, as you could waste your money when the fuel dribbles down the overflow.

:D

Some may say you were even bored ! :)

Where abouts in East Scotland are you ?

I cant imagine how you're going to start promoting the "nipple mate" :D

Actually, this is the kind of thing I do for fun!

I hail from Sunny Arbroath by the Sea, a few caves up from a pair of simian schmoes who have been hitting the headlines recently:

Promotion? In Nipple Tweakers Monthly, of course!

Also, you have to be carfull, because that air you let out is all part of the expansion system when the fuel is returned to the tank warm from the engine.

Never fill it right up, as you could waste your money when the fuel dribbles down the overflow.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC from digesting other Nipple Mod threads (albeit many moons ago), the expansion coefficient of diesel is negligible and the filler cap will stop any fuel escaping.

Actually, this is the kind of thing I do for fun!

I hail from Sunny Arbroath by the Sea, a few caves up from a pair of simian schmoes who have been hitting the headlines recently:

Promotion? In Nipple Tweakers Monthly, of course!

That's amazing - and not a smokie in sight! - how come?

• 4 weeks later...

So, anyway, a week ago, with the Nipple Mate in place, I filled up my car with some V-Power in record time until I could actually see the diesel.

And now, after having driven 130 miles like a true Briskodian (mostly about town), the fuel gauge needle still hasn't moved from the 'absolutely stuffed' position.

And, for the record, the cap does not leak.

Will add my final MPGs to the "vRS - Realistic mpg?' thread.

It enables one to drive around the globe on practically a single tank.

...is that it?

I mean... you're bypassing what's effectively a safety critical system (regardless of the above point about the fuel return) just to cram a few more miles from a tank?

Sorry guys :thumbdwn:

I hail from Sunny Arbroath by the Sea,

Me too!! well I did until I move near Edinburgh. My family all still live in the town so up there quite a bit. I'll keep a look out.:thumbup:

Excellent! :thumbup:

I'll keep my eyes peeled too :eek: (eyes peeled, not 'eeking').

Edited by Mr Wobblytickle

Precisely what 'safety critical system' are you talking about, considering diesel's negligible heat expansion coefficient?

Well, in my book anything to do with fuelling/braking/structural integrity is safety critical.

I'm no engineer - but I simply don't like the idea of changing something like this... especially for the sake of a small amount of fuel.

Would it not be safer just to not run the risk and, er, go to the petrol station a little more often?

Just a thought :P

Would it not be safer just to not run the risk and, er, go to the petrol station a little more often?

Not if there is no risk. ;)

And, from what I read, there aint:

From Nuclear_Tom: "...nope, absolutely no increased risk of spills as when the cap screws on the system is sealed. The system remains balanced by venting into the filler neck in the case of expansion, but this cannot go past the filler cap as its sealed. The only way you can spill diesel is through the overflow tube when refuelling, and you have to be a bit 'special' to do that tbh."

Read more about the inherent safety in this 'ventectomy' guide:

http://briskoda.net/technical-guides/how-increase-your-diesel-tank-capacity/99759/

It's not about how much the fuel expands, it's more about the vapour.

Generally its ok and I brim the tank nearly every time I fill up but it only takes one really hot day and one full tank to cause a lot of damage.

To say there is no risk involved is really not correct. From what you have read there would appear to be very little risk and the science generally supports this but there is obviously some otherwise the manufacturer would not have wasted time and money installing such a system.

The information given on this site is to inform people of their choices and give them good quality advice on what could be right for them. Best leave it there really :thumbup:

whats the point?

its not as though we need the fuel that often unless you do mega mileage

isn't 400 plus miles to the tank not enough for you?