Need a heavier Polish.

Johnny50

As i was warned, the Sonus SFX-1 just isn't doing the job of removing the heavier swirls and scratches on the Fabia.

Now, do i opt for the Menz Power Gloss and try it on my SFX1 & 2 pads, i did think of the Intensive Polish, but looking at the abraisiveness chart, it's below the SFX-1 for cutting.

Kinda peed off, as i had done a quarter of the rear bumper, but gave up as there's no point until i get something heavier.

Any advice folks ?

Oh, i PM'd Baker21 before doing this...sorry to keep pestering you, should've just left it to this thread. :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used that combo on a fair few VAG applications. It's hard to define the condition as everyone's view is different of what 'bad' is :)

I'd say some RDS and medium swirling? Nothing catastophic....

Steve

Sonus SFX 1 is good when used with a 4-5" spot pad all over the car. You have to be careful when using smaller pads as they generate much more heat than larger pads, but they cut through paint like a hot knife through butter :)

You can also try Meguiars Scratch X with a large or small pad, I found this removes swirls and marring without dulling the paintwork significantly, unlike other cutting compounds.

EDIT: Grr thought you were talking about the Sonus SSR 1 polish and not the pads :rofl:

Try the SFX 1 pads on a medium speed with Meguiars Scratch X :thumbup:

I've got SSR 1 and found it didnt really touch any of the visible marks in my paint, but it definatley looked better aftwerwards so was hitting and rounding them off a bit i guess. got to wait a bit before i buy anything more cutting as got to get it past the accountant (missus)

Allan

Sonus SFX 1 is good when used with a 4-5" spot pad all over the car. You have to be careful when using smaller pads as they generate much more heat than larger pads, but they cut through paint like a hot knife through butter :)

Try the SFX 1 pads on a medium speed with Meguiars Scratch X :thumbup:

Thanks.

I've been using the Sonus spot pads already. :mad: And they're not shifting the heavier marks.

I will reply here as opposed to the PM you sent mate but I think most suggestions have been made...........

Basically both the Sonus Pads and Polishes aren't the best for getting heavier swirling, etc out but I find they work well at refining the finish on a second hit, especially the SFX 3 Pad and Polish.

VAG paint differs from car to car, as I am sure other's on DW will also say but you have to also be realistic in that your not going to get all the marks out with a DA that your using and my detail threads show this. A DA will only reduce the RDS marks and not completely get them out of the paintwork.......

Dependant on the swirling and RDS I would recommend the Menz kit from Elite Car Care as you get a sample of each polish and you can work with each, trying the Menz IP and then refining with the Menz FF but if you do use the Menz PG it leaves a hazy finish so you will have to hit the panel again with the Menz FF.

Pad wise, I am a fan of the Megs Burgunday pad and also the 3M compunding pad but these will provide more cut than others so it really does depend on how bad your paint work is looking........

Cheers Guys.

Will the Menz sample pack be enough for the car ?

I'm severly tempted just to get someone to do the car, as what i've spent so far is close to getting someone to do it ! :lol:

Oh yes, the bottles are very big and you only need to be using a small amount when your moving it around each panel? Less it more and all that..........

Well I didn't want to say I told you so..............:o

Seriously though, you have most of the bits you need now so stick with it!!

Well I didn't want to say I told you so..............:o

Oh shut up i know best !!! :rofl:

Nah, you're right, the 250ml bottles are what the Sonus kit came with anyway, and i've hardly used any of that, been putting 3-4 pea sized blobs on per hit.

I'll order the Sample pack today and see how it goes later in the week.

Of course i blame Colin for letting the car get this bad in the first place. :P

Just ordered the Eilte/Menz sample kit. :)

Got £1.00 off with the DetailingWorld voucher code too. :D

So £18.99 aint too bad.

Lets just hope the IP does the trick. ;)

You should have ordered a couple of pads while you were there.......