Potential Octavia Elegance owner

Hello all,

I am in the market for another car, the criterea being that it has to be a good, comfortable, reliable motorway cruiser with good economy. I have a short list which includes an octavia, a superb and a focus.

One particluar Octavia has caught my eye a 2005 (05) Octavia Elegance 1.9 TDi (105 bhp), 50000 miles and I should be able to get it for about £6500ish. Colour is metallic red. The Superb is a 2004(54) 1.9TDi (130) Comfort with 41,000 miles up at £6995, in metallic silver.

Hopefully you wont mind me asking some questions, about the octavia primarily (as this is an octy forum!).

- will the car fit the bill in terms of my requirements?

- What mpg can I expect on a motorway run at 70-80 mph.

- Is there a huge difference in performance between the 105 and 130.

- Both have full Skoda service histories, but are there any health warning at these mileages? belts etc?

I never ever thought I would buy a Skoda, my other cars are a Merc GL320CDI and a Mini Cooper and I love German cars (BMWs in particluar!!). The Skoda option is now very compelling, they seem to be well build and have a good reputation.

Pete

I never ever thought I would buy a Skoda, my other cars are a Merc GL320CDI and a Mini Cooper and I love German cars (BMWs in particluar!!). The Skoda option is now very compelling, they seem to be well build and have a good reputation.

Pete

Well, my case is similar. My Octy (2006 2.0TDi) is my first Skoda. I've owned seven VW cars and one Toyota Avensis. Toyota was my huge error, sold it with just 1,5 year and 20.000km. Never again. I always loved german cars so I've learned my lesson with Toyota.

I went for Skoda after a long time observation. At the end, I was sure that car is in all points VW car, from engine up to smallest switches. And, I'm 100% satisfied. Car is mounted at Chech Republic but with VW parts. Some parts are made there but under VW standards. For me, it was enough to find out that Skoda service (and dealer) is VW garage, here where I live. Garage is the same. Cars are serviced side by side, VW's and Skodas. So, I feel that I drive VW car with Skoda badge on it. It might be just me, but I feel I have the right to say that after owning 7 new VW's.

Don't rule out the 1.9, it's an excellent cruiser and very economical. I don't think you'll notice the difference in performance for your application. If you were after a VRS and real performance - different matter!

I agonised for some time before buying, but I shouldn't have. Skodas are effectively German quality cars made in the Czech Republic, the only difference is the price and through life costs.:)

Thanks Robert. I have no need for the VRs power, so long as a 1.9TDi (105) can cruise comfortably on the motorway at prevailing speeds and bring in 55+ mpg I will be happy! I drove a Peugeot 307 2.0 D Turbo (110) on Friday and it had absolutely no urge in the power delivery, not even a slight kick from the turbo, I thought there maybe something wrong so I walked away. Am hoping the 1.9 (105) has a little more 'pickup' and urgency in the way it accelerates.

I've had the 1.9 for a month. Am very happy with it, but I wouldn't say it had much "urgency" in it's acceleration. "Adequate" might be the best description.

I would suggest taking a test drive in both the 1.9 and 2.0. To me the 1.9 sounds a bit more "chuggy", but returns the better fuel economy.

Mine is driven mostly between 80-100 km/h, and I get something around 63 mpg, dashboard computer figures, not self-calculated (someone said computer figures are 5% optimistic)

Thanks Robert. I have no need for the VRs power, so long as a 1.9TDi (105) can cruise comfortably on the motorway at prevailing speeds and bring in 55+ mpg I will be happy! I drove a Peugeot 307 2.0 D Turbo (110) on Friday and it had absolutely no urge in the power delivery, not even a slight kick from the turbo, I thought there maybe something wrong so I walked away. Am hoping the 1.9 (105) has a little more 'pickup' and urgency in the way it accelerates.

My diesel vRS is in the garage at present and they've loaned me a 1.9 hatch and last week I did a brisk (:D) 150 mile return trip to Birmingham and it retuned an indicated 58 m.p.g which I thought was pretty impressive. It also seems capable of an easy 50 m.p.g plus around town too.

It coped more than adequately on the motorway keeping up with virtually all cars being driven by people with fewer than 6 points on their licenses, though might not have been quite as good with 4 people and luggage on board.

Have to say that a higher spec version with the 1.9 TDI engine makes a lot of sense to drivers where economy and comfort are higher on the list of priorities than performance and handling.

I did think that the 1.9TDi was a little more 'basic' in its diesel qualities compared with the 2.0TDi, having heard a few examples, mainly VWs. That does not really bother me provided I am insulated from most of the noise inside the car and it is being extremely light on the wallet with the diesel! Having done quite a bit of searching, the 2.0TDi keeps its value a lot better and is probably out of my budget.

This is the Octavia I am seriously considering buying. Should the highish mileage be of concern?

5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 50,000 miles, Metallic Red, 1 Owner. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Climate Control, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Head restraints, Headlight washers, Folding rear seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Park distance control, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Side airbags, Radio/CD Multichanger, Rear headrests, Traction control, Full Service History

I like this colour, suits the car well I think. I can't view this until next saturday but if it goes there seem to be plenty around. It looks in great condition inside and out, as far as I can tell from the pictures.

octavia1.jpg

octavia2.jpg

octavia3.jpg

octavia4.jpg

octavia5.jpg

octavia6.jpg

octavia7.jpg

I have a new Octy estate, with 2500 on the clock, and I'm getting low to to mid 50's mpg with the sort of driving you describe on the motorway. 60-70mph pulls in 56mpg, 6 point territory gets it down to 47mpg. Around town I'm seeing mid to high 40s. The engine is still very young, and I expect those figures to improve with age.

A cam belt change is due at 60,000. It might be a good idea to get that changed as part of the deal. If you do then the advice on here is to get the water pump changed at the same time

The only negative points on the car you are considering are the lack of dual climate control, no MaxiDot display, and if I understand correctly the CD player will be the older "Stream", which is said to sound bad and has problems with its AUX input. You may not care about any of these and they are not reasons to discount the car. Otherwise it looks like a great buy.

:thumbup:It looks like a nice motor :thumbup: I have had my 1.9TDI Estate for a year now and it has never missed a beat. I have found that the standard Elegance meets my needs very well.

The build of my car is outstanding, I'm very happy with it. I hope that the Skoda quality remains a secret so it keeps the prices lower than the rest of the VW group.

With 8k on the clock im getting 42-44 MPG around town. IMHO the 1.9 TDI is a great engine, it fast enough to drive it like its stolen and it sits in a traffice jam at the same speed as a Bugatti Varon.

The only thing I noticed about your car that may need attention is the DSG gearbox is missing....Shame:rofl:

For motorways, I'd go for the PD130 Superb over the 105 Octavia.

Nothing wrong with either engine or car, but the 130 will have a 6th gear.

I used to have a Mk1 Octavia Elegance PD130. Now I have a Mk2 Octavia Elegance PD105, and at motorway speeds the economy on the 5-speed is down a couple of mpgs on what I used to get with the 6-speed.

As much as love my new Octavia, I wish it had the 130 engine like my old one:(

A cam belt change is due at 60,000. It might be a good idea to get that changed as part of the deal. If you do then the advice on here is to get the water pump changed at the same time

Thank you, good point. However, I would probably get it done closer to the 60,000 mile mark at my local dealer. At least I would have greater confidence that it has actually been done! This car is for sale at an Independent dealer.

The only negative points on the car you are considering are the lack of dual climate control, no MaxiDot display, and if I understand correctly the CD player will be the older "Stream", which is said to sound bad and has problems with its AUX input. You may not care about any of these and they are not reasons to discount the car. Otherwise it looks like a great buy .

Is lack of these things a function of build date? I am not a massive music fan but would like the option to play my iPod through the AUX input if there is one fitted. Is tha standard radio ok for reception? Presume it is an RDS one.

The only negative points on the car you are considering are the lack of dual climate control, no MaxiDot display . . . .

Pictures suggest it does have dual zone climate control, e.g. three rotary style controls and a digital readout on driver & passenger side of the console.

Maxidot is a potential retrofit if you want the extra functionality it brings and/or to fit OEM bluetooth.

Also, does it have xenon headlights as it has headlamp washers fitted?

For motorways, I'd go for the PD130 Superb over the 105 Octavia.

Nothing wrong with either engine or car, but the 130 will have a 6th gear.

I used to have a Mk1 Octavia Elegance PD130. Now I have a Mk2 Octavia Elegance PD105, and at motorway speeds the economy on the 5-speed is down a couple of mpgs on what I used to get with the 6-speed.

As much as love my new Octavia, I wish it had the 130 engine like my old one:(

Mk2 Octy with 140hp was my choice and I love it. Drove Golf 105hp and felt differnce in response.

I have just had a trader contact me via email, he has a Superb for sale, I enquired about it a few weeks ago. He has said he has reduced it to £6995 (down £1000). It is a 1.9TDi 130 Elegance in Sahara Beige with black leather, satnav etc looks nice but the colour is not in my top ten.

Told him I was going to drive a lesser spec one tomorrow (comfort 1.9 Tdi 130) and would let him know.

Car here:

2005 05 Skoda Superb 1.9 TDI 130 Diesel Elegance Beige on eBay, also, Skoda, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 21-Sep-08 15:17:47 BST)

Whilst I like that red octavia, the Superb also looks good. Only thing to put me off is the colour and the 65000 miles. He sounds 'keen' to sell quote ' I am going on holiday wednesday and need to shift some stock!'

I have just had a trader contact me via email, he has a Superb for sale, I enquired about it a few weeks ago. He has said he has reduced it to £6995 (down £1000). It is a 1.9TDi 130 Elegance in Sahara Beige with black leather, satnav etc looks nice but the colour is not in my top ten.

Told him I was going to drive a lesser spec one tomorrow (comfort 1.9 Tdi 130) and would let him know.

Car here:

2005 05 Skoda Superb 1.9 TDI 130 Diesel Elegance Beige on eBay, also, Skoda, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 21-Sep-08 15:17:47 BST)

Whilst I like that red octavia, the Superb also looks good. Only thing to put me off is the colour and the 65000 miles. He sounds 'keen' to sell quote ' I am going on holiday wednesday and need to shift some stock!'

The only thing I would consider here is that Superb is old generation car. Technicaly, it's Octy1 generation and would make you feel driving the old car. Also, it's heavier, so 130hp in Superb isn't to be compared to 130hp in lighter car, like Octy.

The Stream MP3 came in 2006-07, and had an AUX input. The previous Stream unit didn't. There are solutions available, especially if you are willing to forego the CD changer. Otherwise you could always upgrade the head unit.

Mia culpa, that is a dual climate Climatronic.

The plan this week is:

Monday evening - look at and drive a 2004(54) Superb 1.9TDi (130) Comfort 41,000 miles - £6995 - Helensburgh, Scotland

Wednesday PM - Look at and drive a 2005(55) Ford focus 1.6TDCi (110) Ghia, 33,000 - £6888 - Glasgow

Weekend - If I am still up to it(!) drive over to Yorkshire (Shipley) to look at and drive that 2005(05) Octavia 1.9TDi (105) Elegance 50,000 miles screen price £6985

Hopefully by this time in two weeks I will have a new car! Good job I live in the North West and work in the West of Scotland during the week!!

By way of a diversion this morning I emailed Simpsons Skoda Preston with a cheeky offer on a Approved Used 2005(05) Octavia 1.9TDi Eelegance (42000 miles), on sale for £8750, I bid £7000. Salesman came back with a 'thats too low' comment and said I could have it for £7750. Still too much in my book.

Having moved from a superb to octavia and regretted it on the journeys you suggest I would be looking at superb, but only if it's just motorways and fast A roads. I did have the 2.5v6 which was nice and smooth, now I have the 1.9tdi which is a competent car, but imho doesn't come close to the comfyness of the superb.

Handling wise, if you are talking about roadholding the octavia is more assured (about 10mph on certain bends), but driving 500 miles in 3 days I much preferred the superb.

We needed an estate for our new addition (greyhound) to the family, so it was off to the dealers for a swap, otherwise I'd still have it on my drive.

Now saving up for the estate when it comes out.

The 105bhp 1.9 does suffer at higher end motorway speeds more than the 2.5 superb, but then you are getting better to start with. The 1.9 can make fairly decent progress, so much so that I got done last week on the motorway - but isn't as refined as the comfort specced superb I had. I also thought the superb seats were better for my size (6'3 and 20st) as you sit in them rather than on them if you know what I mean?

Good luck in picking your car, and yes you can compare a focus and an octavia, and a passat for that matter.... but you'll probably come back to the skoda.

Dealers may have an abundance of trade-in's at the moment?

Apologies that this is in the 'octavia II' section!

I have just returned from test driving the Superb, a 2004(54) 1.9TDi 130 Comfort in silver, with just over 40,000 miles on the clock. My impressions are very favourable with the car, it has lots of presence and looks good, better from the front in my view, the back end (light clusters) look a little dated. However, this particular car was let down by awful brakes, it didn't feel like a 40,000 mile car it felt a little 'baggy'. I am no engineer but I reckon the brakes and discs needed sorting, the tyres were pretty worn too and it looked like one of them needed some air. No way to present a car for sale and a VW main dealer to. The windscreen was cracked too.

On the positive side, the engine pulled really well, much better than I anticpated and the gearbox was lovely and smooth when shifting. The seats were lovely (would be better in hide!) and the car felt nicley luxurious. I could happily spend long motorway trips in there. I didnt take a really good look around the car but the Service history looked ok to me.

So overall, I really like the car, it is BIG. I would not buy this one, they had made no effort to prepare it for sale and comments like 'it hasn't been through the workshop yet' do not excuse all the faults, the brakes were truly dreadful - I hope this isn't typical of Superbs.

I have been warned off buying a car from Arnold Clark by three seperate people at work today, I now know why. Tye car has been off road (SORN) since Mar 08and they have reduced it by £1000 (apparently), it is up for £6995. So what next? Find an Octavia to drive (the red one) and maybe find another Superb that has had a little more tlc. I am semi hooked!

OK Peter, here are my thoughts on the Octavia 2.0TDI Elegance that I have owned for about 3 weeks now.

I've come from a Passat 1.8T estate to the Skoda and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. It's not as well built as my old Passat, it seems to develop a new rattle in the cabin every time I go out in it. The ride is quite a lot firmer than the Passat and that was a 'sport' model. It does mean however, that the drive is a whole lot more fun, which is good.

The worst problem though, by far, is the road noise. I've tried extra carpet in the boot and even changed the front tyres, but it's still there! Make sure you have a long test drive over different road surfaces.

I would imagine that the Superb, being based on the old Passat, is probably quieter from a road noise point of view.

The Octy is a good car, but the road noise really bugs me. Shame!

Take your time and pick the car YOU like. Don't be swayed by other peoples opinion.

Cheers,

RDX :)