Couldn't get Falken's, need urgent opinions, please

bosnjo

Hi to all,

went today to many garages but nobody can order Falken FK452 tyres (225/45-17). In each one of them I've got the question: "Are you crazy, thats "White Line" brand and that tyre need high temperature to run well...", "what if you have warranty issues, there is no dealer in Portugal...?"

Well, I thought I've done my homework by a lot of research, as my main concern is ROAD NOISE I suffer now with Dunlop Sport SP01A. In that area 452's showed the best results. Even in some garages where I knew the owner I've been told: "I know you well and even if I could I wouldn't get them for you..."

What the hell is going on with that tyre??????

Well, had to do research again and compare it with recomendations from shops I've been visiting today (I've underlined roadnoise issue):

- PIRELLI P6000 is now out of question as it has terrible results on roadnoise (asked 135 euros each fitted and balanced) (Why do they recommend them?)

- MICHELIN PRIMACY HP good durability, low roadnoise, good grip (160 euros each fitted and balanced)

- BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE 050 not that good durability as Primacy HP but better grip and roadnoise the same (130 euros each fitted and balanced)

- PIRELLI P ZERO ROSSO ASSIMETRICO grip far better then any other tyre mentioned here, roadnoise little lower then others but durability is like 30% worse then others (have no price as no shop suggested them)

So, I'm down to these three:

- PIRELLI P ZERO ROSSO ASSIMETRICO

- MICHELIN PRIMACY HP

- BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE 050

Give your quick opinions please, I have two days to decide.

And one more thing, what about price of Pirelli's compared to Bridgestone and Michelin?

Thanks to all

Hi to all,

went today to many garages but nobody can order Falken FK452 tyres (225/45-17). In each one of them I've got the question: "Are you crazy, thats "White Line" brand and that tyre need high temperature to run well...", "what if you have warranty issues, there is no dealer in Portugal...?"

Well, I thought I've done my homework by a lot of research, as my main concern is ROAD NOISE I suffer now with Dunlop Sport SP01A. In that area 452's showed the best results. Even in some garages where I knew the owner I've been told: "I know you well and even if I could I wouldn't get them for you..."

What the hell is going on with that tyre??????

Well, had to do research again and compare it with recomendations from shops I've been visiting today (I've underlined roadnoise issue):

- PIRELLI P6000 is now out of question as it has terrible results on roadnoise (asked 135 euros each fitted and balanced) (Why do they recommend them?)

- MICHELIN PRIMACY HP good durability, low roadnoise, good grip (160 euros each fitted and balanced)

- BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE 050 not that good durability as Primacy HP but better grip and roadnoise the same (130 euros each fitted and balanced)

- PIRELLI P ZERO ROSSO ASSIMETRICO grip far better then any other tyre mentioned here, roadnoise little lower then others but durability is like 30% worse then others (have no price as no shop suggested them)

So, I'm down to these three:

- PIRELLI P ZERO ROSSO ASSIMETRICO

- MICHELIN PRIMACY HP

- BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE 050

Give your quick opinions please, I have two days to decide.

And one more thing, what about price of Pirelli's compared to Bridgestone and Michelin?

Thanks to all

Can they get you the pilot exalto 2 at the place that will sell you the Primacy?

I'd guess part of the issue is there is more money to be made in a premium brand and they don't want to have to order a budget tyre in.

I have the P Zeros 17" on my Passat sport and they feel fine but I had Michelin Primacys on my old Bora. I also have Michelins on my Passat S 16" and I'd have Michelin's without fail.

The grip levels wet and dry are superb and wear is less as is road noise.

They may be a little dearer but they last longer so it all evens itself out.

Hi Bosnjo,

I hate the road noise also. Some people don't seem to notice it, are they deaf? :confused:

Anyway, can you get Goodyear Excellence's? I've just put some on the front of mine. I chose them after quite a bit of research here and elsewhere and they do seem quieter than the Conti's that were on the car, but the road noise is still there I'm afraid. :thumbdwn:

I don't think you will ever get rid of it without buying a different car!

Good luck.

RDX :)

Hi Bosnjo,

I hate the road noise also. Some people don't seem to notice it, are they deaf? :confused:

Anyway, can you get Goodyear Excellence's? I've just put some on the front of mine. I chose them after quite a bit of research here and elsewhere and they do seem quieter than the Conti's that were on the car, but the road noise is still there I'm afraid. :thumbdwn:

I don't think you will ever get rid of it without buying a different car!

Good luck.

RDX :)

Thanks for suggestion.

I know I can't get rid of roadnoise. My car is on 17' and sport suspention. Plus, roads are getting worse. So, I can only try to make it less audible, that's the idea. My previos car Toyota Avensis was on 16', normal suspention and Bridgestone ER30 and it was as bad as this one.

I have Primacy's on my lone car at the moment and they seem pretty good.

Low noise and reasonable grip. :thumbup:

As they are available in this size my personal choice would have to be Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics.

Michelin Primecy's would be my choice of the three.

same here; BUT if you can get Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 (i assume you can as I guess you are on 225/45 17s) they are better all round for grip wet & dry, ride and noise, may not last quite as long though as the Primacys (I have used both).

Good luck.

We had Bridgestones on an A class and they tramped every time you turned the steering wheel on full lock . Michelin Exaltos have transformed the car .

Why can we not have an option for tyres when buying a new car , even if it was a cost option - the cost to the factory is minimal ?

Often a perfectly good car is consigned to mediocrity for the first 20K for this sole reason .

Come on Skoda HQ buck the trend , after all you did with the brilliant Roomster !

let me throw a 'wild card' at you - how about Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas?

Excellent tyre, generally 2/3rd the price of Michelins, although 2/3rds the mileage. They are Dutch but don't know if you can get them in Portugal.

Just placed the order. Pirelli P Zero Rosso Assimetrico 225/45-17. One shop found that one distributor has them on some kind of promotional campain, so I'll get them for 150 euros each (£119), fitting and balance included.

Thanks to all of you for your opinions

£119 for that size?!? Holy **** they're dear. £98 fitted for the same size Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. Michelin Pilot Sports are about £125 here...

I used to run nothing but Bridgestones, but I'm really a Vredestein convert. Rate them far above the Goodyears which were £20 dearer.

Why can we not have an option for tyres when buying a new car , even if it was a cost option - the cost to the factory is minimal ?

I noticed the following in the detailed build codes for my Octy:

" V0A Tires w/o specification of tire brand"

Which suggests it may be possible to specify what tyres they build a new'un with (if the dealer and the factory can be bothered).

I noticed the following in the detailed build codes for my Octy:

" V0A Tires w/o specification of tire brand"

Which suggests it may be possible to specify what tyres they build a new'un with (if the dealer and the factory can be bothered).

I'm going to fight for that on my next Octy. There are many dealers and if we insist...

I have a friend that has Octy 1.9 Elegance. He's got it in 2005 and said it involved a lot of negotiations but on the end he's got it as he wanted, with 18' rims and tyres. So, it may involve some trouble but this proves it's possible.

I mean, what's the point of getting new car with horrible tyres. Are we going to change them straight away? No, because we think why give more money now after spending a fortune on the car. So, we run on those horrible ones, waiting for them to wear. Next time, I'm gonna give a lot of fight at the dealer but I'll get the car with tyres I want.

There is always the other dealer and they don't like when you say you'd go to a competion.

Edited by bosnjo

Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers!

Sure thing. For roadnoise I'll post the same day I get them fitted, as to come back home I need to drive on 3 different surfaces. One of them has been renewed with that black liquid they put to preserve the road and it's horrible as it's not completely flat. When I give close look at it,I can see waves like 3mm high and distance between those waves is like 5mm. The other day, after they've done it, driving on it was so noisy that I've stopped the vehicle and looked at the surface and couldn't belive.

As for handling, I'll need few days, first for tyre to ware and bed a little and then try it entering with speed on some roundabouts where now my tail runs away and if I accelerate front wheels start spinning (no noise) and yellow light comes on dash. Those roundabouts are perfect for the test as they already have shiny surface so they're very slippery. Also, I'll have to wait for the rain as down here rains only 30 days a year.

Tyres have arrived. Got a call from the garage this afternoon. I'll go to fit them early morning and give a good ride after. I'll post the experience and difference between new ones (Pirelli P Zero Rosso Assimetrico) and old ones (Dunlop Sport SP1A).

225/45-17

OK, new tyres are on:

ROAD NOISE

On smooth surfaces is the same. On rough surfaces is 50% down from the front and 30% down from the back (I guess I'll try to put the carpet under the spare wheel).

GRIP

Huge improvement. Car is like glued to the road.

OK, new tyres are on:

ROAD NOISE

On smooth surfaces is the same. On rough surfaces is 50% down from the front and 30% down from the back (I guess I'll try to put the carpet under the spare wheel).

GRIP

Huge improvement. Car is like glued to the road.

Don't forget that the new tyres will have more and fresher rubber so WILL be quieter, ride smoother and have more grip (once scrubbed in).

I did get Falkens! However...have always been given 452's without asking, didn't know they did others. Had a pair of falkens fitted believe they are ZIEX ZE912 and they are......pants. In the wet I really have to be careful taking any corner at speed had to slow to 30 at one point to get around a slip road onto a motor way, really don't want to be able to wheelspin in 4th either. Really not impressed thinking about changing them already just for safetys sake. Wish i had been given 452's as i thought i would get.