Power steering pump.

I'm tempted to ask the question - okay I will just ask even if I can't give the final answer - is this a coded secondhand pump from a similar aged identical model that you are planning to fit?

Remember there were two suppliers of power steering equipment and the parts will not be compatible as piece parts from each system.

Or is it a brand new from VAG or a re-con'd pump (much cheaper)?

I'm just trying to open up the question so that you might get the correct answer from the next reply!

HI,how about this for a good deal,the powersteering pump off my fabia 1.4 classic reconditioned and then fitted back on for £265+guaranteed for 2 years it pays to go to a decent independant garage, stay clear of main dealers beacause **** turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed you they dont.

HI,how about this for a good deal,the powersteering pump off my fabia 1.4 classic reconditioned and then fitted back on for £265+guaranteed for 2 years it pays to go to a decent independant garage, stay clear of main dealers beacause **** turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed you they dont.

What was the name of the garage you got that from mate?

I can't see why a PAS pump would have an immobiliser security code on it.

An electronic fuel pump might have, depending on how the manufacturer decided to approach immobilising the vehicle.

Its not a security code, its more of an application coding as the pump assembly has a smart module built on to it.

I need a new pump I think, maybe even a new rack. Getting severe locking up of the power steering under acceleration and even more so under braking which is HIGHLY disconcerting! Not sure which to attack first, rack or the pump! I think checking the levels in the pump is #1, then unsure if rack & pump should be replaced first as #2/#3....

Annoying thing is there are no faults being generated by the severe symptoms of my problem. :(

What was the name of the garage you got that from mate?

I would think that the smart independant garage would have sent this failed pump away to somewhere like BDA-recon (might have wrong name) - these people recon Mini + VX + VAG electro-hydraulic steering pumps as well as their core business of sorting ECUs etc. You can find them on the web - a car mag I buy looked into their business a few months ago - and seemed impressed!

Edit www.bba-reman.com - these are the people I was refering to.

Edited by rum4mo

In all honesty, its well past the time that VAG started including this assembly into their "exchange" program that is meant to save the universe. Until this happens main dealers can not risk fitting non-VAG parts. It gets even worse than this as my VW garage today thought that the "funny" TCA arm bushes that were fitted to my wife's Polo were "copper" bushes - even although they were black - "no they are Seat Ibiza Cupra bushes". Answer was "oh we don't know anything about other VAG marques" - funny thing was, later on I went round to their parts counter to order in a set of four brake flexi hoses and some of them have now changed to Skoda numbers - I had to inform them that Skoda continued to use this B5 platform long after Audi then VW had stopped using it - so any further evolution would end up being Skoda funded.

this coding of the pump that youz talk about. whats involved with this ? my ibiza has had a new angle sensor and loom as the cables had came out the plug. but didnt fix my heavy steering and does't throw any errors up on vag com. the machanic (local garage) doesnt have a clue what could be wrong. is coding likley to be expensive ?

cheers si