140 mph Motorcyclist Sentenced .........

Hedge

I personally don’t have a problem with 140mph, but it is the places he chooses do demonstrate the performance of his bike. He is a Prat.[/color']

Could the same be said of the police officer who was matching these speeds during the pursuit, especially on an unmarked bike where members of the public may not have been able to tell he was police (I'm guessing by the way they didn't assist his progress this was the case)? I think the policeman also made a couple of risky decisions imho, in the name of keeping up with the target.

The video didn't give away any background to the chase and nor did it have the actual apprehension, but I'm wondering why no real attempt was made to bring the pursuit to an end, either by using the flashing headlamps (not sure if an unmarked bike would have blues and twos) or pulling in a marked bike/unit - part of me wonders if having a "challenger" was egging the target on to take bigger and bigger risks :(

Still, all that aside, some impressive riding by the police rider and lovely positioning :D

Chris

I was watching to see if there were blues flashing in reflections from surrounding cars, but I couldn’t see any. The Police rider looked a lot more composed though. It was interesting to read that the Police had received many complaints about this guy and used the Police bike to gain evidence, then arrested him at a bike shop at a later date.

I think the police bike rider got far, far too close to the back of some of the cars he went to overtake (this refers to when he had to slow down due to oncoming traffic). All they had to do was touch their brakes and he'd have been a dead 'un.

I think the police bike rider got far, far too close to the back of some of the cars he went to overtake (this refers to when he had to slow down due to oncoming traffic). All they had to do was touch their brakes and he'd have been a dead 'un.

Yep, especially the Vectra which he then "bullied" out of the way. Imho, he was doing a lot of the things that the dangerous target rider was doing, such as overtaking on double whites, undertaking at great speed and a couple of iffy overtakes like the head-on he almost has with the biker and the "meat in the sandwich" situations he gets into on one of the overtakes and getting onto a roundabout.

Still, he remained calm and composed and on top of his emotions and the majority of the rest of the ride was excellent imho. :D

Chris

I noticed that also especially the Audi.. Good riding though.

:thumbup:

I wonder if it’s things like that which caused the Police to pull the Video?

Could the same be said of the police officer who was matching these speeds during the pursuit, especially on an unmarked bike where members of the public may not have been able to tell he was police (I'm guessing by the way they didn't assist his progress this was the case)? I think the policeman also made a couple of risky decisions imho, in the name of keeping up with the target.

Chris

I've not seen this video, but I've seen other video from unmarked Police bikes where I had this sort of reaction; all the Police officer did once he'd got a video of speed was double the danger by having 2 high speed motorcycles on the same road, pretty much mirroring each other's moves.

Agree with comments about the 'double' risk. Could easily have just filmed it from a helicopter (as he was doing it daily) - average speeds are easily calculated from the distance between fixed road features or the white circles they paint on the roads especially for that purpose.

The video didn't give away any background to the chase and nor did it have the actual apprehension, but I'm wondering why no real attempt was made to bring the pursuit to an end, either by using the flashing headlamps (not sure if an unmarked bike would have blues and twos) or pulling in a marked bike/unit - part of me wonders if having a "challenger" was egging the target on to take bigger and bigger risks :(

Still, all that aside, some impressive riding by the police rider and lovely positioning :D

Chris

according to the original story, they decided it was too dangerous to try to stop him in a conventional way, because of the risk of him making a run for it, and driving more dangerously.... so they decided to follow and video/commentry, until they had enough evidence to prosecute him... they arrested him later apparently.....

according to the original story, they decided it was too dangerous to try to stop him in a conventional way, because of the risk of him making a run for it, and driving more dangerously.... so they decided to follow and video/commentry, until they had enough evidence to prosecute him... they arrested him later apparently.....

I just don't get it. What part of "too dangerous to try to stop him in a conventional way" is more dangerous than having two high speed bikers :confused: :rolleyes:

It's clear that with the above statement and the fact the police biker was riding unmarked without blues and twos defies logic and common sense.

If you wanted to collect video evidence, and you know up front you're not going to try and pull him over, then why pursue it all considering the risks. Just do it for a few minutes and then pull back knowing you'll arrest him later on. Or, as previously mentioned, a helicopter would have been far safer if you wanted to track it over a longer period of time.

The fact the video is still on the Surrey Police website to me is more to do with a publicity stunt than anything else. Or that this legitimises a police officer biker to do loony speeds on public highway for the fun of it.

I just don't get it. What part of "too dangerous to try to stop him in a conventional way" is more dangerous than having two high speed bikers :confused: :rolleyes:

It's clear that with the above statement and the fact the police biker was riding unmarked without blues and twos defies logic and common sense.

If you wanted to collect video evidence, and you know up front you're not going to try and pull him over, then why pursue it all considering the risks. Just do it for a few minutes and then pull back knowing you'll arrest him later on. Or, as previously mentioned, a helicopter would have been far safer if you wanted to track it over a longer period of time.

The fact the video is still on the Surrey Police website to me is more to do with a publicity stunt than anything else. Or that this legitimises a police officer biker to do loony speeds on public highway for the fun of it.

you are quite possibly right on every point! wasn't my opinion though, just what the police said......

I want to be a traffic cop :)

I'd say in a similar situation in a car, I'd probably drive faster if someone was chasing me. In which case does that border on entrapment?

quite possibly, he could just have been reacting to the bike following, there's a nice black undercover mark I vRS around here that does similar.... if you are going a bit fast, he tends to come up VERY fast behind you (on the dual carrige way) maybe if you were unwilling to let a skoda past you may well put your foot down even more! :eek:

The cop's commentry is quite amusing.

When asked if he's comfortable to continue, he says 'yeah, he's not a very good rider, he's fast but can't take corner's.

The cop also highlights every single offence he is committing which makes you realise how bad his riding is.

I bet sussex won't have any problems recruiting police motorcyclists with that as an advert. What a great ride by the police rider.

My defence might have been, there was this lunatic chasing me and I was trying to get away from him.

Is seriously scary

I don't agree on the great ride from the police officer, it's been done to death this one on the bike forums and here is an extract from a good mate of mine who is a serving traffic cop.

I am NOT trying to defend the biker at all btw, there's a time and a place ....

"What I just can't get my head around is that any police pursuit has to be

controlled in some way, this differs considerably from force to force but

they share basic principles.

This one should not have been allowed to continue a long way before the

footage ended, the commentary was nothing short of pants! There was nowhere

enough information being conveyed over the radio, had there been more the

pursuit should have been aborted, however saying that even the basic stuff

being conveyed would ring alarm bells to the control room inspector who

should command such pursuits.... obvious comments about speed or dangerous

manoeuvres let alone the almost head on crash mean it is just not acceptable

to continue.

There are also massive controls where unmarked vehicles are concerned and

nowhere in the footage did I see evidence of blue lights or sirens being

used."

I want to be a traffic cop :)

I'd say in a similar situation in a car, I'd probably drive faster if someone was chasing me. In which case does that border on entrapment?

I would agree mate, car / bike / roller skate it's bordering on entrapment.

I had an unmarked FJR1300 Yamaha right up my chuff coming up the A49 on Tarporley Hill, I was on my Zed and was gassing it past some trucks on the overtaking lane. I noticed the white helmet with checkerboard decoration around the rim just before I was about to make a "mistake".

Waved him past and followed him for a while as he made "progress", as he went past I noticed a wee matrix sign on the back.

Well.. i think maybe he was trying to be heroic because of the unmarked bike behind him... but i think he does deserve the punishment.. the fact that he apparently rides like that all the time... bet he would be dead before his 25th birthday anyway

Lol!

Fluff will be upset....

Nah mate .... he was riding like a **** and deserves what he get's but questions should be asked on the conduct of the pursuit :)