vRS - does it handle well?

I've been wondering lately if our beloved vRS actually handles that well compared to something modern like the new Fiesta Zetec S or standard Focus? Suspension development seems to have come on so far since 2001 and on a cross-country run, would a basic spec modern Ford outclass a Mk1 vRS in the handling stakes?

Are we talking standard car or modded? As standard I think yes a fiesta or focus could do one on the twisties. Biggest drawback for the VRS is the torsion beam suspension at the rear, why did it not get independant rear suspension :confused:

Ultimatley it is down to driver though imo.

As far as I was aware, a standard Focus has been a better handling car than anything standard based on the MK4 Golf chassis, since it's inception. I don't like it, I hate Fords. But I'm sure that was the whole point of launching the Focus - to "out drive" the Golf.

Whilst the vRS obviously has some improvements over the standard Octy and may possibly stand up against a similar age Focus. I would imagine it would be no contest with most new cars. Modern cars are just stacks better than they have ever been, not to mention fantastic value.

That said, would I rather pay £3.5K and drive my vRS, or who knows how much and have a blue oval up front? Tough one :P

despite it being between £3.5K for a vRS or around £10k for a RS, mine would still be Imperial blue ;)

Out of interest - why? Seems to me £6.5k buys at least an extra 100bhp and untold suspension mods with stacks of change. What makes an RS your choice?

Out of interest - why? Seems to me £6.5k buys at least an extra 100bhp and untold suspension mods with stacks of change. What makes an RS your choice?

I prefer the way they look, out of the box they're a better car (in this context) and due to personal circumstances things like boot space, passenger space and mpg are not an issue.

I've driven a remapped 1.8T Octavia with grippier tyres, KW coilovers, Brembo brakes from an LCR etc and I found my boggo mk1 Focus more enjoyable (but slower, obviously) on the roads I drive

:)

VRS are crap all round out of the box, power, handling etc, however good thing is you can spend a little time and money and make em a whole lot better. 53 plate VRS cost at moment about £3.5K spend £2k on it and it has 250hp and uprated suspension! The best thing of all is its a skoda and skodas are meant to be crap! so the look on ford focus RS mans face :finger: when you pass him is sweet! along with subaru man :finger: and a lot of evo men:finger:! :thumbup:

agreed

i got mine new in 05and with a small loan and all the money ive spent on it all in all it has cost £17000-£17500.

thats all the stuff i ve bought for the car and some things i havent used or have upgraded since. my sig tels what i have.

the only thing on the to do list is going to be the custom remap i think to get the best out of the car as it stands. then she will be done for now.

with only a bog std car and £150 you can put a RARB on and the diff is V noticable.

Mk1 Octy vRS every time, Cheep to begin with and "THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS"

I prefer the way they look, out of the box they're a better car (in this context) and due to personal circumstances things like boot space, passenger space and mpg are not an issue.

I've driven a remapped 1.8T Octavia with grippier tyres, KW coilovers, Brembo brakes from an LCR etc and I found my boggo mk1 Focus more enjoyable (but slower, obviously) on the roads I drive

:)

Fair enough. If you prefer how a Focus drives and that's a primary concern for you, that makes sense.

Personally, I think the vRS is the best value "all rounder" amongst it's class peers. For me, it drives very well, is comfortable, quick, spacious, classy and doesn't convey any kind of chavvy boy racer image.

I haven't done anything to mine yet, and yes it's not perfect. But for £3.5K I defy anyone to beat it. The reason I chose mine was because it had climatronic AND a sunroof, parking sensors, and cruise. It's very difficult to find anything else in the VAG range (or anyone else's for that matter) that will do that and offer reasonable power, handling, comfort and capacity for less than £5k. At some point I will probably consider mods. But the reason I chose the vRS is that, for the minute, I can leave it alone and not be constantly wanting to fix an obvious shortcoming.

thought the thread was about handling.... anyone with a sunroof shouldnt be allowed to comment - drivers cars dont have them.

We've been talking about how the vRS stacks up against a modern Ford. That's where my post was directed. Driver's cars don't generally have 5 doors, 5 seats, a/c, electric everything and a big boot. However, "normal" road cars are a compromise and the vRS is a very well executed example of such a compromise.

If I want to feel some sun on my head (when it's out), that doesn't mean I've sold my driving soul to the devil. If you think a sunroof compromises structural integrity so much as to be seriously detrimental to your driving experience, I suggest you weld the doors shut and strip out the interior too ;)

We've been talking about how the vRS stacks up against a modern Ford. That's where my post was directed. Driver's cars don't generally have 5 doors, 5 seats, a/c, electric everything and a big boot. However, "normal" road cars are a compromise and the vRS is a very well executed example of such a compromise.

If I want to feel some sun on my head (when it's out), that doesn't mean I've sold my driving soul to the devil. If you think a sunroof compromises structural integrity so much as to be seriously detrimental to your driving experience, I suggest you weld the doors shut and strip out the interior too ;)

I did.

Fair enough. If you prefer how a Focus drives and that's a primary concern for you, that makes sense.

Personally, I think the vRS is the best value "all rounder" amongst it's class peers. For me, it drives very well, is comfortable, quick, spacious, classy and doesn't convey any kind of chavvy boy racer image.

I haven't done anything to mine yet, and yes it's not perfect. But for £3.5K I defy anyone to beat it. The reason I chose mine was because it had climatronic AND a sunroof, parking sensors, and cruise. It's very difficult to find anything else in the VAG range (or anyone else's for that matter) that will do that and offer reasonable power, handling, comfort and capacity for less than £5k. At some point I will probably consider mods. But the reason I chose the vRS is that, for the minute, I can leave it alone and not be constantly wanting to fix an obvious shortcoming.

totally, can't disagree that whichever way you look at it a mk1 vRS is stupid good value these days

I did.

Fair enough. I imagine at that point, the difference between vehicles is largely down to budget and individual preference, rather than standard setup and equipment. My understanding was that you'd bought a comfortable, executive car.

Andy, that's all I'm saying. vRS can't be beat in it's price bracket. Simple.

So, sunroofs aside:rolleyes:, I can expect to be out cornered by a standard modern hatchback.

Right, question 2.

If this is the case, does this mean that if a standard Mk1 vRS can be hustled along a nice twisty road and keep up with a modern hot hatch, the driver of the vRS is marginally more skilled?

I'm asking these questions for various reasons. I learned my driving skills in Old Skool motors e.g. Capris, Mk1 Golf GTi, Nissan 200sx – nowadays it is an old car - and to some extent I still frown upon a lot of the more recent electronic driver aides,(purely from an ‘I’m a better driver than you’ point of view.)

Something the size of an X5 shouldn't be able to corner as it does, but it can due to some really clever 'stuff' in the black box. A semi intelligent chav in such a car can perform small miracles in everyday driving but in reality, they can’t drive very well as their lack of skill is being masked.

Our humble vRS only has the lovely ASR and ABS, I know some had ESP but most only have the other two. By modern standards it is quite a basic car and if we are able to keep tabs on the more recent offerings from the hot hatch world, then our skills must be reasonable in comparison?

As already posted by RedBaron, if you get the suspension and brakes sorted out it will totally transform the car to the extent of you thinking you have more horses under the bonnet, as you can now use the power you have to the best of your ability, especially in and out of corners, as you now have a car thats handling the way it should have from the factory, but there again, if these things had been added at the factory, then the car would not have priced as it was in the first place.

Get KW3 coilovers with a Neuspeed 28mm rear anti roll bar, together with either Tarox G88's and fast road pads, or OEM with Ferodo DS 2500 pads, and see the difference for yourself.

Regarding driver ability, this will always be different as we all have different abilities and skills......................and weakness's.

Edited by Beretta

Mine was stupid good value when I bought it nearly new, let alone as an older car as it is now. Plus you dont have to deal with Ford dealers!

I've driven several spec Ocy's with a spec and in a way that few here would have the opportinuty to and have to say that it's a very capable car. The mk2's handling is as good as most would need on a road too. There are better, faster cars out there, but not at the money IMHO.

Better to buy a VW/Audi group for Ocy money than a Ford any day, even if the new RS does have a tried and tested good engine.