The way forward?.....

Hi

Is there a list anywhere of the more simple things to do to tweak and improve the perfromance of a Mk1 vRS Ocy? (cost vs performance and not on a DINKY's Budget!)

Also, whilst I now how to drive around it, can the flat spot in 2nd be mapped out?

Hi

Is there a list anywhere of the more simple things to do to tweak and improve the perfromance of a Mk1 vRS Ocy? (cost vs performance and not on a DINKY's Budget!)

Also, whilst I now how to drive around it, can the flat spot in 2nd be mapped out?

The flat spot could be due too a split pipe somewhere. Have you had it scanned for faults ????

you don't get flat spots in gears!!!! if you have a flat spot its either a fault or your not used to the car and expecting more :)

where in the rev range is this flat spot of which you speak?

btw my 1.8t never had a flat spot standard, mapped, mapped with extra's or running a different turbo :)

No flat spot here.

This was my first turbo'd car, and certainly required a bit of getting used to the standard driving practices over naturally aspirated - but a year in and it's smooth as now.

As for mods - i've done panel filter, cat back exhaust, and recirc valve. They seem to have made it a bit more driveable - probably psycological though. I plan to do a couple more engine bits, like sports cat, then get a custom remap aiming for 230bhp or there abouts.

Remap will be best power upgrade for the money though.

I'm budgeting for coil overs, rear anti-roll bar and brake upgrades to go with the remap too.

either leave it alone, remap it or go the whole hog with a BFO turbo. when talking remaps the exhaust/intake/tip etc etc it's going to gain you virtually nothing and cost you 3 times that of the remap.

Some cheap(ish) mods I'll be considering next year:

Audi TT arch mod

Milotec bumper grilles

Dogbone engine mount

Also it's worth getting a CG-Lock for £30 as it lets you chuck it round corners a bit quicker without having to worry about sliding off the seats :thumbup:

HTH

Also it's worth getting a CG-Lock for £30...
I need another one for a second car but can't find one at less than £39.95. Who is selling them for £30?

Is the dog bone mount really worth it What benefit does it give?

I'd recommend the rear arb first then remap

Makes gear changes more solid, reduces wheel hop under aceleration (as it effectively strengthens the subframe) and prevents the turbo downpipe snapping which can happen on mapped cars that produce more torque.

It's well worth it.

Rear ARB also :thumbup:

you don't get flat spots in gears!!!! if you have a flat spot its either a fault or your not used to the car and expecting more :)

where in the rev range is this flat spot of which you speak?

btw my 1.8t never had a flat spot standard, mapped, mapped with extra's or running a different turbo :)

I am very used to the car and driven many vRS' for a number of years. On several of the models the car is very flat on the pick up 2nd gear in the low rev range. As several models had done it (having found it I allowed pulling away in a similar manner to test if it was present) and it was, so I assumed it may have been one of those Octavia type things. It's not something I'm worried, just interested to see if it's a common issue.

Maybe it's just bad luck on my part!

can't say i've heard of anyone on here snapping a downpipe!

before i got my dogbone done my DP would hit the subframe when reversing though.

When I was at Blueflame getting a full system fitted they asked if it was prep work for a Remap. I said YES of course :D and they recommended the uprated dog bone bush as they had come accross a few downpipes snapping after being mapped. You can't get any more reliable info than that :thumbup:. Anyway anything that reduces unwanted movement is going to reduce stress and fatigue.