Yep you guessed I need help with wing mirror replacement advice!

Hi all,

hope you are well and burting with knowledge and wisdom!

My problem is a smashed Octavia wing mirror, heated, electric, top half body coloured . Some **** hit it whilst parked outside my house and then drove off:mad: The local dealer quoted £275:eek: I need to konw whether it is worth giving it a go myself.

I would be grateful for any advice!:thumbup:

I had the same problem last year! does the whole mirror need replacing?

I needed glass and the underneath part which was all in a kit for £25 from the dealer!

Have checked and it all needs replacing, the arm is bent but I think I can straighten. Any tips on where to look or how to, welcome.

I got a complete unit from skospares.com for about £70 a couple of years ago. It was the wrong colour, but I only needed the metal frame part and transfered all my painted bits across.

It's very simple to remove the mirror. You prise off the tweeter inside and there's about 3 bolts, then the hole thing comes off. If you weren't having to swap bit's over, I reckon it's a 15 min job - half hour max.

HTH

Steve

ps Welcome :D

• 3 weeks later...

I had to do the same thing when my driver mirror was hit some time ago.

Check your replacement mirror - the "mirror" should pop out if you gently apply pressure with a screwdriver, either from the front of the mirror, or preferrably from behind the mirror, accessing it through the mounting hole.

You'll find two wires attached to the mirror with crimps. Gently remove these, taking a note of what colour goes where.

You should now see the metal frame - there is a screw at the bottom of the plastic assembly that secures the frame. Once you remove this,the whole frame with motors comes out.

To remove the old one from the car, use a flat blade screwdriver to remove the tweeter from the door - it's simply clipped in, so use the screwdriver to gently lever it towards you. Once it comes off, unplug the tweeter unit.

You'll see a cable assembly coming from the mirror - this is secured behind the door with a clip. If you're really lucky, you can lever this cable up enough to be able to unclip it from the door wirring loom. If unlucky, you might have to remove the door trim.

Once this cable is unclipped, it's just a matter of unscrewing the 3 torx screws holding the mirror in place, and then it's off, allowing you to swap bits as needed.

Regards

tbxp

• Like 1

I replaced a complete mirror on my Octy when it was damaged. Got the part from JHM Butt (Skoda) in Bawtry Garage Equipment, Car Workshop Tools, Motor Parts and Accessories, Nationwide, UK - Homepage

Cost was approx. £70 I think and they have them in most colours - need to specify.

Alternately buy a similar colour and re-spray it with a can of paint from Halfords.

Thanks tbxp. How do you access the screws that hold the mirror and get the trim off if I need to?

Thanks eddies, I have the new mirror with built in indicator and it looks like they only do the older style. I got a black wing mirror thru 1st choice spares, I can glue the clolour matched cover and use it and accept the scratches for now, but will prob need to replace in the future.

Thanks tbxp. How do you access the screws that hold the mirror and get the trim off if I need to?

Thanks eddies, I have the new mirror with built in indicator and it looks like they only do the older style. I got a black wing mirror thru 1st choice spares, I can glue the clolour matched cover and use it and accept the scratches for now, but will prob need to replace in the future.

if you mean how do you access the screws to get the mirror unit off the door, then you just need to go inside the car and pull the tweeter (speaker) that's on the inside. The whole trim piece comes off and reveals the screws.

The glass itself just prises out of the unit. push in one corner of the mirror unit you can get your fingers behind then gently but firmly pull and the mirror will pop out

I have the tweeter off and have disconnected the electric mirror control. Where do I start removing the trim it feels like I will break the fixings. Is it the plastic piece first or does the spongy trim remove first?

Correction do no have the tweeter off, feels like I will break something if I apply too much pressure to the tweeter

It's been a while since I did it but I'm sure it was just a firm pull. I seem to remember thinking the same as you when doing it....

Good luck......