HID retro fit - mk1 Octavia vRS

The HID lamps will just go straight in where your existing H4 bulb goes without any modification. However it will be ILLEGAL as special projector headlight units should be used to focus the beam were it should be. By fitting HID to standard lenses you endanger other road users, the glare given off by some of these kits is awfull and they should be banned as an aftermarket part.

Plasma discharge units almost certainly will cause problems with glare and scatter if "plugged in" to H4 reflectors.

Save yourself several hundred quid, and get 50% uprated Quartz Xenon bulbs from PowerBulbs - upgrade car bulbs, headlight bulbs, xenon bulbs from Philips and Osram, including Philips Xtreme Power and Osram NightBreaker globes. instead!

I know HID kits should be fitted to vehicles with headlight adjustment and wash wipe facilties.

Although they look good and throw out alot of light, there's no point if you are endangering other road users.

Thanks for the advice guys, think I'll got down the upgraded bulb route.

I got a proper HID kit in mine - beam pattern seems fine, and all the literature that came with it says it's legal. There certainly isn't any distorted beam that could dazzle oncoming drivers etc - all is good.

As for fitting - i just fitted the bulbs, drilled a couple of holes in the back of the headlamp covers to accommodate the wiring, and then neatly cable tied the ballasts and wiring away out of sight in the bay.

I went for the 4300K ones - these are the most OE looking, and most likely to pass MOT.

I'm now thinking about getting another set of h3's for the fogs!

I got a proper HID kit in mine - beam pattern seems fine, and all the literature that came with it says it's legal. There certainly isn't any distorted beam that could dazzle oncoming drivers etc - all is good.

As for fitting - i just fitted the bulbs, drilled a couple of holes in the back of the headlamp covers to accommodate the wiring, and then neatly cable tied the ballasts and wiring away out of sight in the bay.

I went for the 4300K ones - these are the most OE looking, and most likely to pass MOT.

I'm now thinking about getting another set of h3's for the fogs!

So this "proper" HID kit came with projector headlight units, with self leveling? I doubt it - it's ILLEGAL. Have you used a beam meter to check beam pattern and scatter? Just saying the beem is fine does not mean they are within the legal tolerance.

They say they are legal, but read up on the facts - they are not without the correct lenses.

Blue side lights do not dazzle other road users tho. Aftermarket HID kits are dangerous and irrisponsible. Have you ever driven around Wigan at night - the boy racers all have them and the result is dazzle especialy when meeting one mid courner. But the police have started acting :thumbup:

Edited by DGW
Unnecessary use of quote.

So your saying its ok to have blue led's then?

Well Wigan isnt that far from me but it seems everyone has these kits. A merc had them in this morning. Must have been 8k's, stood out a mile.

I bet he wont be targeted as much as the younger end of the spectrum will

Edited by DGW

I'm not disagreeing with you here.

There are far more illegal things that little young boys have than lights that will eventually have far more severe consequences

Edited by DGW

So are the blue led's as side lights, but no one cares

I'm not sure about blue LEDs as sidelights, since there may be a requirement on light colour there. They may have been specifically made illegal following the 1960s "Blue Dot" craze.

Steady blue LED washer nozzles are legal (if stupid, pointless and Ch@vvy) though, somewhat remarkably.

So this "proper" HID kit came with projector headlight units, with self leveling? I doubt it - it's ILLEGAL. Have you used a beam meter to check beam pattern and scatter? Just saying the beem is fine does not mean they are within the legal tolerance.

They say they are legal, but read up on the facts - they are not without the correct lenses.

I understand the facts, and I appreciate what you are saying :)

I have done various checks myself, in the sense that I marked on the wall in front of the car where the original beam lines were, and saw that the HID kit matched with no spurious blotches of light. I believe (if just coinsidence) that this instance of HIDs are okay in my standard lenses. Will find out come MOT time.

I do quite a bit of night driving, they help wonders, and I have not been flashed up on it yet by other drivers.

Maybe it's not right - but I am well aware of how distracting some lights can be on the road, and I would do the considerate thing and scrap the kit if I thought they were being a nuisance. :cool:

• 5 weeks later...
Did I say they were Ok - NO! However they are not dangerous.

Im not going to get dragged into an argument here - they are illegeal - END OF!!!!

FOR GODS SAKE.

ARE YOU ON HERE LOOKING FOR EVERY POST TO DO WITH HID!!!!

EVERYWHERE OCTAVIA VRS.......... HID.......RAH RAH RAH RHA RHA RHA RAH RAH BLAH!!!!!!

IT IS A GREY AREA AT MO.. IT HAS NOT BEEN TO COURT. NO PROPER RULING IS IN PLACE. HID CONVERSIONS ON EUROPE ARE FINE AND THAT IS THE ONLY DAME REASON (EU) WE HAVE THEM FACTORY FITTED IN CARS OVER HERE....WE DO NOT HAVE THEM IN OUR MOT STANDARD... THEY ARE ALL ILLEGAL BUT THEY CANNOT REFUSE BECAUSE OF THE EU... STOP BLOODY PIPING ON ABOUT IT. WE GET IT.... LET BLOODY VOSA DECIDE!!!!!grrrr IF YOU HAD NOT HAVE VOTED FOR THE PRAT THAT PUT US IN THE EU!!!!....

RANT!!!

done!

FOR GODS SAKE.

EVERYWHERE OCTAVIA VRS.......... HID.......RAH RAH RAH RHA RHA RHA RAH RAH BLAH!!!!!!

IT IS A GREY AREA AT MO.. IT HAS NOT BEEN TO COURT. NO PROPER RULING IS IN PLACE. HID CONVERSIONS ON EUROPE ARE FINE AND THAT IS THE ONLY DAME REASON (EU) WE HAVE THEM FACTORY FITTED IN CARS OVER HERE....WE DO NOT HAVE THEM IN OUR MOT STANDARD... THEY ARE ALL ILLEGAL BUT THEY CANNOT REFUSE BECAUSE OF THE EU... STOP BLOODY PIPING ON ABOUT IT. WE GET IT.... LET BLOODY VOSA DECIDE!!!!!grrrr IF YOU HAD NOT HAVE VOTED FOR THE PRAT THAT PUT US IN THE EU!!!!....

RANT!!!

done!

Steady on.:eek: I don't think there's any point dragging politics into this, we've just got to work with what our law says, irrespective of anything else.

The law is; HID kits are illegal unless the vehicle is fitted with self-levelling (as opposed to manual levelling with the little dial in the car) and headlight washers. HID kits do vastly improve visibility, there's no denying that. Unfortunately, they also cause a lot of glare (every car I've seen with retrofitted HIDs has produced a lot of glare).

So to sum up; use them if you want, but while gaining the benefits of increased light output, you're also running the risk of either a) being collared or worse B) causing an accident by dazzling other drivers.

I have thought about a HID kit extensively on my current car, but I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is uprated halogen bulbs. If it's country driving etc. that requires the additional light, I'd suggest fitting some driving lamps and wiring them into the main beams. This will give you your additional light output without crossing into illegal territory.:)

FOR GODS SAKE.

RANT!!!

done!

Get back uder your bridge troll.

I've responded to no more than 2 or 3 HID threads. Your a new boy too and there is no need to fill the forum with your garbage and digging up old threads.

Get a life.

Get back uder your bridge troll.

Get a life.

Nice respone!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

At least I can hold up an point WITHOUT just being dam right insulting!!!:thumbup:

And uhh ahh!!!!! Wrong again.

After being away a while and forgeting password so thus making a new account I see you have not changed! still the big I AM WHO cannot take it.

Three times the posts on you babe!!(old account) so don't preach papa!!

:D:D

P.S have you not worked out it's not about post amounts yet it is about being constuctive.. troll has let you past the bridge this time now go away please! oh and I am an ogre I have layers!! ;)

Remember to breathe 36_12_1.gif

woooossssaaaa!!!! :D

Yashicamat

Thanks nice reply no troll thing!!!

I do no what you are saying and do agree just to many peeps ranting and raving about conversion kits.

Daft thing is they are legal in europe.

Hid lights came from europe.

VOSA came unstuck (well so a mate who works there told me who must stay disclosed) there was not ruling for discharge lights and they were to bright for legal use. Prob is the british law states maximum 55w as how bright. hid 55w is STUPIDLY past that and they are coming into curculation very quick. much brighter than the "as we know 35w" conversions. prob being as europe agreed these lights first being a vauxhall which did not have auto adjust and was using the same reflector lense as the standard they have inadvertently written the ruling. DOT is imlementing but vosa can't reley apply this and have to try and adapt. Point being really it IS a grey area untill there is a case. One thing that should come with kits though is a disclaimer "YOU MUST GET YOU LIGHTS LEVELED"

j