Diesel particulate filter

Please excuse what might seem a daft question!!

How do you know if your vehicle has a Diesel Particulate Filter? I'm about to change the oil/filter on my 2007 Febia 1.4 80hp TDI (my local Skoda dealer quoted me 200 for the first service and this seems to be the only thing they do!!) but I need to know as it appears to determine which oil you put in. Never having owned a diesel before, haven't a clue how to find out. Many thanks for any help

Geoff

Only the Greenline has the DPF in the Fabia range.

Be careful doing it yourself, you'll probably wipe more than the cost of the service off the value of your car by not having a full service history. But saying that £200 does sound a bit rich!

thanks for the replies........ I know what you mean about the warranty but I figure if I can show the receipts for the oil/filter, shouldn't hopefully make much difference!! As for losing the service history and consequent value, we've always run every car from birth to scrapyard so will not matter....... last car was a Nissan Micra 1989 which our kids are using now to learn to drive in........ never had an "official" service and still running beautifully...... the bodyworks very battered though!!

Can#t quite work out how to reset the service indicator...... followed the instructions in the handbook and the only thing that got adjusted was the clock! Might have to just put up with it being wrong.

Geoff

Geoff

There's another thread on here about Fabia servicing and you'll see if you read it the quote of £200 is way too much. I was charged £172 for the first service but in the end got a £94 refund making the service only £78. The only thing they should be doing is an oil change.

Like the other posters I would advise getting the service done by a dealer so that you have the full service history when it comes to changing the car.

Doing the service DIY will void all of the remaining warranty, having receipts for parts is not sufficient. You must have a VAT reciept for the service from either a main dealer, in which case the reciept/invoice is not usually needed because its all recorded on the SUK computer. For the warranty to continue, you must provide a fully stamped service book and if serviced by a non main dealer a VAT reciept that shows the parts used on company headed stationery.

The money you will also lose come P/X or sale time by not having a book of stamps will be far in excess of the savings made.

Oh really guys cut the doom & gloom!

I won't get into resale as he's stated it's not rellevent... Nor am I positive on the 3rd year of warranty that SUK provide.

Yet if/when one needs warranty work done. All they need prove is that the car has been taken care of as per the manufacturers requirements... So if all it calls for are oil & oil filter change, then if one wishes to procure the parts for self service. Then just be prepared to prove competency in such service come warranty claim assuming they can prove the claim is even needed as a result of such D.I.Y.!!!

Hi who is charging £200 for a 1st service in Norfolk my 3 service was £87 Simpson's yarmouth,collected courtesy car supplied,check out the excellent thread on this matter . cheers Mellyboy

Oh really guys cut the doom & gloom!

I won't get into resale as he's stated it's not rellevent... Nor am I positive on the 3rd year of warranty that SUK provide.

Yet if/when one needs warranty work done. All they need prove is that the car has been taken care of as per the manufacturers requirements... So if all it calls for are oil & oil filter change, then if one wishes to procure the parts for self service. Then just be prepared to prove competency in such service come warranty claim assuming they can prove the claim is even needed as a result of such D.I.Y.!!!

EU regs say it has to be a VAT registered garage actually. Otherwise the work may have been done incorrectly and the manufacturer could have no come back.

EU regs say it has to be a VAT registered garage actually. Otherwise the work may have been done incorrectly and the manufacturer could have no come back.

Unfortunately all to often taking it to the garage is a grantee that the work will be incorrectly done...:rolleyes::thumbdwn:

By the way do you happen to have a link to the EU reg stating this?

My statements were made with 12+years experience from the auto industry many of them including VAG... Albeit mainly North American & none in the EU.:rolleyes::o

Must agree with you there having researched the correct oil to use and seeing many a tale of garages using oil to the wrong spec! Personally, I'd rather do a job myself and feel confident that it had been done correctly. Whilst never having done anything to a diesel engine before, I've rebuilt many a motorcycle engine and done a lot of work on petrol cars so I'm pretty mechanically minded. Obviously, some things are beyond DIY but I really think most people can manage an oil/filter change and a general inspection. I think people worry too much about the warranty......These main dealers try and hold us to ransom but lets be realistic...... they always go wrong AFTER the warranty has expired..... not before! I reckon a significant number of "main dealers" are rogues with their servicing costs and that's certainly not just Skoda......... I was quoted £55 to programme a new remote for a Ford Connect Van........ took me 20 seconds to do after I'd read the instructions that came with it from good old Ebay!

they always go wrong AFTER the warranty has expired..... not before!

Really? I wonder what you base that comment on.

About 70% of my day is made up with warranty repairs of somekind or another.

Its not been unknown for a diesel oil pump to pack up before warranty is up. Fancy forking out £1500 for an engine? Soon makes the couple of hundred quid for servicing seem pretty cheap.

Not having a dig, just get fed up when people like myself who give a toss in the dealer network get branded as money grabbing ********. We aint all criminals, my company charge a labour fee that reflects the training and level of expertise I have attained.

Really? I wonder what you base that comment on.

About 70% of my day is made up with warranty repairs of somekind or another.

Its not been unknown for a diesel oil pump to pack up before warranty is up. Fancy forking out £1500 for an engine? Soon makes the couple of hundred quid for servicing seem pretty cheap.

Not having a dig, just get fed up when people like myself who give a toss in the dealer network get branded as money grabbing ********. We aint all criminals, my company charge a labour fee that reflects the training and level of expertise I have attained.

No offence intended......... you're right, there's a lot of honest garages out there and I realise that labour charges have to be high with all the overheads....... unfortunately, my personal experience with garages, I admit.... only about half-a-dozen at the most, has not been very good.