Are aero wipers worth it?

I've just bought an 2004 Octavia vRS. It rained today and the wipers were next to useless. I've seen aero wipers mentioned on here quite a bit. I've found them on vagparts I think with "MK4Faero" being the order number.

My first question is, is this the right kit?

My second is are they actually worth it? I'm not really fussed about looks, just how well they clear the windscreen.

:iagree::+1::+1: This was my first mod after looking at RC's site and have to say over standard the difference is night and day. I did it for looks over function and got a marked improvement in both area's. Some say the aero blades don't last as long but I have not noticed that they wear any quicker and change blades yearly anyway rather than wait till I can't see :rofl:

It appears bosch do retrofit aerotwin blades for the standard hook shaped arms which have a slim profile - so if they would fit you wouldn't need to swap the arms too.

I'm currently looking at the mk golf oem kit from vagparts. From what I understand there is no point in having aero wipers unless you replace the arms as well? Or have I misunderstood something?

The OEM kit from vagparts.com comes with the 2 replacement arms and the 2 aero blades. The attachment of the new blades is different to that of the standard front octy wipers.

I sorted out a group buy about 2 years ago for these.

:iagree::+1::+1: This was my first mod after looking at RC's site and have to say over standard the difference is night and day. I did it for looks over function and got a marked improvement in both area's. Some say the aero blades don't last as long but I have not noticed that they wear any quicker and change blades yearly anyway rather than wait till I can't see :rofl:

Mine have been on for about 2 years with no issues. I think you can just pop the end off and slide the wiper rubber out and put a new blade in rather than having to buy a new aero part. I do about 35k a year, so get my fair share of rain and mud, etc. to clear off the screen.

Yeah aero wipers are the mutts nutts. I'll never go back....

I went for the retro-fit Valeo items from wiperblades.co.uk, which are excellent and very easy to fit onto normal arms.

I had a bad experience with playing with wiper arms, so I fear them!

My second is are they actually worth it? I'm not really fussed about looks, just how well they clear the windscreen.

Imagine the following: snow/sleet during the evening, freezing during night - with traditional blades you have to do some tedious hacking of ice in the morning, with numb fingers, before your wipers work. In that case aero wipers are invaluable. Otherwise I would say that traditional blades work just as well. But aeros look smarter, definitely :cool:

And when thinking of total car costs a new set of aero blades once a year is not that damaging :P

Yeah aero wipers are the mutts nutts. I'll never go back....

I went for the retro-fit Valeo items from wiperblades.co.uk, which are excellent and very easy to fit onto normal arms.

I had a bad experience with playing with wiper arms, so I fear them!

was that the dreaded spring back?:eek: hits harder that Tyson at his best!!! bruise took about a month to subside :(

I have retrofit bosch aertwin blades for my Fab vRS and would never ever go back to "conventional" wipers..

I have them on my Octy and they do not fit on the passenger side as they leave a gap under the blade when parked causing wind noise. I will not be buying anymore although they work ok otherwise. Going to try the Valeo ones next.

This was my firstmod too. and i ordered mine from vag parts, so easy to fit, you get the arms aswell with covers, so quite and dont move about as much as the standard ones so plz with them and they clean the windowscreen so well,

you wont be dissapointed mate

i've got a set of mk4 golf one's on mine, i've got geniune retro fit one.

these will fit on your existing arms (so you dont need to buy the newer type).

vw call it a conversion kit. the part number is

1j2998002 and cost 23.49. they work a treat

hope this helps

I have them on my Octy and they do not fit on the passenger side as they leave a gap under the blade when parked causing wind noise. I will not be buying anymore although they work ok otherwise. Going to try the Valeo ones next.

I got the £8 ebay specials on my 1990 Audi 100 quattro, the passenger side has the same gap but there is no wind noise (it is a very quiet car), and the wipers have been on for 9 months, and haven't worn out. I do 25k miles per year so they get their fair use.

Also, get some "Rain X" windscreen spray, or "Nano solution" from Lidl.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I lied:eek: - got some from Wilco for £9.99 each, dead easy to fit, no wind noise, work well. Definetly fit better than Bosch ones.:)