Oh bu<>er, Engine blown!!!!

Jav_Vrs

Title says it all realy. Going home last night doing about 30mph and put foot down a little in 3rd and there was a loud bang, lots of smoke from exhaust then lots of rattling and knocking then it died.:thumbdwn: Going to investigate tonight. F***ing gutted:(. News will follow.

Yeah the compressor wheel could have burst I guess.

Fits your description. We burst wheels all day here for containment tests, and the standard effect is a very loud bang, followed by alot of blue smoke, with the occasional fire!

Let us know what you find, and good luck with it.

Couple of photos off phone so the quality is poor but this is number 1 and number 2 plugs flattened by something in the cylinder. Done a compression test and nothing on 1 and 2 but 180 psi on 3 and 4. Gonna take head off tomorrow and see whats happened:(

25631.attach

Cheers for looking on the bright side bengie.:rofl: lol. I was hoping just a couple of valves had burnt out or something but I'll see tomorrow:(. Well gonna go and cry into an ice cold magners now:)

Edited by Jav_Vrs

Another guy on here had similar, a valve broke. I guess you'll know when you pull the head and examine the compressor wheel of the turbo too.

Sorry to hear it. These 1.8t's seem to be fairly reliable and don't wear out, but one or two do seem to go 'bang', literally, or go 'bang' from sludge build up and lack of lube (I don't think that's your problem, sounds like valves or turbo compressor side ingested).

Greg.

Well I didn't even bother taking head off I just found a full engine being sold as a conversion kit :- engine, all ancilleries, turbo, ecu, 6 speed gearbox, cables and gearstick, wiring loom etc etc out of a seat leon cupra 01 reg, auq code and 71,000 miles. Couldn't let that pass, what with the 6 speed box and cables:), but alass I would need the clutch hydraulic pipe off the leon aswell which I didn't have and on a sunday I just wanted the damn thing back on the road so the 6 speed is my garage if anyone wants to make an offer to upgrade their octy before it goes on ebay:thumbup:. Any way got it back on the road monday night and what a different car it is, it sounds awesome with my itg induction filter on and standard dv. I love the sound of wastegates in the morning:rofl:.

Davy's on the road again, faster than hes ever been, Davy's got a big grin now his vrs is fixed:thumbup:. (you older ones will know the tune to that lol).

Some photos here sorry again for poor quality on the nokia 1 pixel camera.

Jav (dave)

25740.attach

25741.attach

Good quick turnaround! :thumbup: Worth breaking down the old engine for spare parts as not all of it will be knackered and bits of it will be worth something on the spares market (or keep it complete for spares for yourself if you can, when you blow up this one ;)) [fingers crossed it doesn't happen :)]

:rofl:hey wat u doin with a vrs if u cant do over a 100 i will swap u for my father inlaws mondeo 2.0 if thats wat u want to really

i will even put an airfilter on it for you :eek:

might get it up to your speed

do