Superb Dipped Headlamp Bulb Replacement

Bluefox

So, as we all know the headlamps on the Superb aren't fantastic unless you're got Xeons. I am, unfortunately, not one of these people. So, I've got to make do with the H7 dipped beam.

I've tried the Halfords Super Brilliance last year. +30%, so they say, and in honesty they performed quite well - lots more light and as they're usually on buy one get one free at this time of year they're pretty good value for money. However they didn't last long and all through the summer I've been using standard H7 bulbs. However when it started getting darker, quicker... I started looking around for better bulbs or other options.

On a regular visit to my local Halfords for screen wash, I noticed that we'd started selling +90% "stupid uber well brilliant" hadlamp bulbs. I think they're known as Halfords Extreme Brilliance and thankfully they're on BOGOF at the moment as otherwise the £22/bulb price tag was somewhat excessive! :eek:

Anyway, they're similar in price and "claimed" performance to Osram Nightbrakers but as these are cheaper (when on BOGOF) and redily available (available in all Halfords Superstores and most others), I've based this post around them. I'm reviewing them in my project diary as well if you're interested in their performance :)

Anwyay, on with the show.

th_Image003-1.jpg

Tools required

Pozi and flathead screwdriver (I'd forgotten about the pozi at this stage, hence no pic!)

Bulbs

Hands :thumbup:

The only camera I had at the time was my phone, and while it's pretty good for a phone it's control mechamisms are somewhat limited. Spot metering was out of the question...

Despite this, plus the fact I'd forgotten to get a pic of the lights in the dark, I tried to get a shot to show the standard bulbs:

th_Image001-1.jpg

...which didn't come out too well. Still, I soldiered on.

Obviously the sides refer to a UK spec vehicle, but of course the principle applies to the LHD variants as well :)

Near/passenger side

I started with the near side, as it is perhaps the easiest. Certainly has the easiest access, although the first job is to remove the power steering resoivoir cover to make sure you can see what you're doing.

It took me ages to work this out when I first got the car, but for those of you who may be doing this for the first time the cover has one flap here...

th_Image005-2.jpg

...and one here...

th_Image006-1.jpg

...which need releasing. Then, PULL...

th_Image007-1.jpg

...and off it pops!

You'll now need to take the plastic cover off the back of the headlamp, which is simple enough so I've not taken a picture :)

If you then look into the back of the headlamp, you'll see this:

th_Image008-2.jpg

...that bit of black plastic with wires coming out of it is the clip on the back of the bulb. If you grab hold of this, and turn it to the middle of the car about 45 degrees...

th_Image009-2.jpg

...it'll unscrew, letting you pull the bulb out! :thumbup:

Swap the bulb over - although if this is your first time make note of the comments I make below to do with actually changing the bulb - and refit. As the good people at Haynes would say, "refitting is the refersal of removal" although I cannot be held responsible for the swearing and skinned knuckles when you try and get that damned thing back in the headlamp. Note however you can unbolt and remove the power steering resovoir withouth having to remove the pipes - there's a couple of bolts holding it in, although as there's a fair few things you'll have to remove to do this I didn't bother. There's just enough room to do it if you remove the cover unless you have hands the size of Germany.

Off/drivers side

Anyway, back over to the offside of the car and the first step here is to move the airbox trunking out of the way:

th_Image004-2.jpg

...this is fairly straightforward as the screws you need to undo are pretty obvious - although you will need a small implement or long fingernail to remove the plastic covers on the top of the airbox, hiding the screws. I've not pictured these but they're the same as the ones on the engine cover in the very first picture.

It's worth knowing here that the airbox really needs moving out of the way, and at this stage I didn't do it as I'd managed to get the bulb out without. Refitting however with the box in situ is an operation best left avoided :mad: .

Still, as you can see it's possible if you "nudge" the airbox out of the way:

th_Image011-1.jpg

...using the same method as the nearside.

th_Image012-1.jpg

About bulb replacement

As I said earlier, there's a few things to bear in mind if you've not done this before. Firstly, and it's pretty obvious but I've put it here anyway, don't touch the bulb with your fingers! Don't be worried if you do just make sure you either wipe the bulb clean with a clean dry cloth, or to be sure clean the bulb with methylated spirit.

Additionally look at the old bulb's positioning in the holder - the easiest method I use is to roate the holder until the tab (on the H7 bulb) faces you:

th_Image014-1.jpg

...you can then swap the bulbs keeping the orientation the same.

Well, refitting then is a reversal of removal... and that's it! :thumbup:

I've posted here with the hope of making it a sticky as there's usually a raft of questions on how to change the bulbs every so often :)

The question is why do the dipped beam bulbs always blow, i was going through 6 to 8 sets a year when it was used as a taxi its down to about 3 now its back as a family run about, is there something that can be done to stop it happening as often, yet the high beams are OK I have never replaced a high beam yet and its an 03 model

The dipped beam gets much more use as it's always on when the headlights are on.

When replacing the bulbs, I found it helpful to assemble the metal clip and wiring connector to the new bulb before putting it back into the lamp unit. This means there are no fiddly loose parts to get lost or ping off.

rotodiesel.

The question is why do the dipped beam bulbs always blow, i was going through 6 to 8 sets a year when it was used as a taxi its down to about 3 now its back as a family run about, is there something that can be done to stop it happening as often, yet the high beams are OK I have never replaced a high beam yet and its an 03 model

Try gen VX ones, I had trouble in my VX's unless I used their brand bulb they'd blow in no time, iirc they're Osrams.

Nice how2 Foxy.:thumbup:

Thanks for the comments guys :thumbup:

I'll report on how these last. The standard Halfords ones I had in previously lasted about 8 months (admitidly summer use) and I only took them out to upgrade. IIRC our standard bulbs are usually made by Phillips.

I always make sure I don't restart the engine with the lights on, pull onto rank, switch down to sidelights, move up rank 12 times in an hour, finally get a fare then with engine on switch back up to dipped beam, changed 2 dips & 1 main in 14 months so far!

The only camera I had at the time was my phone, and while it's pretty good for a phone it's control mechamisms are somewhat limited. Spot metering was out of the question...

Yes indeed, I think it was a very poor show. Let's just hope David Bailey never hears of this.

.... I mean how hard would it have been to use some large light diffusers? Honestly! :jawbig:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Bluefox, i replaced my offside headlight bulb today and your info' was invaluable. The space is limited but i managed without removing the airbox. I actually found refitting the bulb easier than removing it. Once you know how to turn the bulb and which way it turns you are half way there. My first post.....Now i just need someone to tell me how to remove my reversing sensors....Thanks.

had to replace both headlight bulbs today. one bulb blew about an hour after the other! this guide came in quite handy. thanks bluefox.:thumbup:

Ask him who he got the drivers side method from :orb_wave::orb_opera:orb_artis:orb_socce

Many thanks for the information - my NS bulb blew last week and I was able to change it yesterday in 5minutes thanks to the guide. I reckon that I have now needed 4 or 5 headlamp bulbs in the three and a half years of owning the car - I have never known anything like it.

As a quick sidenote, I've just changed my bulbs for the exact ones you've got mentioned.

Especially for the V6 TDi, where the airbox wont nudge due to lack of space:

On the drivers side, undo the large hoseclip going into the airbox, whizz out the bolt at the top of the airbox on the drivers wing and the whole airbox should then just lift out of the engine bay with a quick yank... it's only sat on two rubber bungs at the bottom :) Simples!

Just wait till you have to do this job on an A2... where it's not possible to get stuff out of the way and you have to do it with fingertips, blind :D

Edited by Ferret101

Many thanks for the information - my NS bulb blew last week and I was able to change it yesterday in 5minutes thanks to the guide. I reckon that I have now needed 4 or 5 headlamp bulbs in the three and a half years of owning the car - I have never known anything like it.

Don't use cheap bulbs, by that I mean Halfords,petrol stations and motor factors, they aren't cheap in price but the quality I've found is some what wanting, I use gen VX H7's as I had a problem with my VX's not liking anything other than a gen bulb, but I think as long as it's a main dealer supplied bulb of almost any manufacturer it'll last a lot longer than you are experiencing, hth.

will these fit my skoda felicia 98 1.3gli ...

Item Title:

H4 Main Beam Head Lights

Part Number:

P472CT

To suit vehicle:

As per item title - Main Beam Lights

Fitment:

H4 - 472

Volts:

12v

Watts:

55w

Pack Qty:

2 Bulbs

Colour :

Xenon Blue

Edited by Hyatt_1

• 9 months later...

Just replaced dipped beam and sidelamps thanks to this guide. Just thought I would add my two penneth as it may help others. Airbox removal on 2.5tdi as mentioned above makes drivers side a piece of proverbial to do.

The sidelights are supposed to just pull out. I found I couldnt do it by hand but there is a little lip on the bulb holder you can get a long thin screw driver onto. Use the screw driver to leverage it out. Make sure you disconnect the earth (i think its an earth) clip for the bulb first though. The earth has a little clip on it which I had to push in before it could be removed.

Thanks again for guide :)

Now i just need someone to tell me how to remove my reversing sensors....Thanks.

then you're in luck - there is a thread on here that details sensor removal, including photos of the sensors so you can see how to grab hold of them to get them to release (cos you can't see them when you're doing it!). It is a very easy job - at least when you know how. It's on here somewhere - sorry haven't got the time to find it at the mo...

cheers

• 1 month later...

then you're in luck - there is a thread on here that details sensor removal, including photos of the sensors so you can see how to grab hold of them to get them to release (cos you can't see them when you're doing it!). It is a very easy job - at least when you know how. It's on here somewhere - sorry haven't got the time to find it at the mo...

cheers

Cheers Sidewaze Sam, i'm back on here replacing those pesky headlamps again and saw your post. Thanks very much.