Octy VRS Water Pump question

Folks, Lots of debate about Plastic impeller and metal ones in this forum. Pros and cons buying either one it seems.

It seems though that getting a metal impeller one is rare, as Euro parts, GSF, Main Dealer only seems to stock the plastic type.

Tried going on website Follet, which seem to not accept orders so it that site down???

So it looks like my options have been made for me to get the plastic one. But as I will not be keeping the car within the next 4 years is this a issue.

When I had mine done on the Octy vRS, Mike at IP said to fit the standard geniune one from Skoda, as these are supposed to have been upgraded, and in any case he had not seen any of the new ones break the way "SOME" of the old ones had.

When he took my old one out when doing the belt/pump/tensioner, the pump was perfect.

What will the next car be????

Not sure if this will be any help to you but I just did the T-belt on my VRS a few weeks ago. Bought the complete kit (Belt, tensioner, pulley, metal water pump & Bardahl coolant) from a motor factors in Dublin called Cafco Motorparts, only number I have is a Lowcost from Ireland (1890)947040. The entire kit cost €220 euros, and they'll do the water pump on it's own if that's all you want. Pretty sure they'd post it over the pond.

Incidentally there was 60K on the clock when I did the belt, the old plastic water pump looked fine, no signs of wear, cracks ect.

Euro car parts list 2 types for the vrs but couldn't tell me what the difference was so I went in and asked to look at both.

1 is the metal type, the other is plastic.

From memory, the metal one is about 3 quid dearer, or at least it was back in april. Mind you, neither will break the bank! I got all the cambelt bits required at the same time along with filters etc for a full service and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (but I can't remember how much it all was now!).

HTH & ATB :thumbup:

Folks appreciate the posts. I drove down to Euro parts after work to look at both there parts numbers and yes one indeed is metal, yet they told me plastic over the phone. The metal one is not brass, and is dodgy quality looking cast metal in a blackish colour. The Black plastic ones in GSF actually look far better. My local GSF recently changed there suppliers and have explained that all new ones are now plastic, may not be all GSF's I guess. I believe they explained the newer plastic ones are better quality (as Beretta stated). Just emailed those ebay links (thanks Martin) Cam belt being done next Tuesday so who knows what it will end up with.