Vibration 1400-2000 rpm 1.9 TDi

VRSPhil

Afternoon all

This is in reference to my Passat, but I find Briskoda more useful than the Passat forums, and it's basically a Superb anyway... So please don't throw rotten tomatoes at me :rofl:

I have a vibration which seems worst in 5th and 6th gear between about 1,400rpm and 2,000rpm. This has happened since I got the car.. I did notice it on the test drive but wasn't too concerned, and it was cheap :rolleyes:

It sounds almost like the exhaust is blowing a little, and there's a little more vibration than I would have expected, once it hits 2,000 it's quiet and refined.

If this is a characteristic then I can live with it, but I'm not convinced. :(

Is it time to stop being tight and trade it in for a vRS TDi DSG? :D

More tan likely the air intake pipe is vibrating. Undo the three phillips screws on the front panel and take the pipe off back to the airbox, try it again. it will be a little noisier but the vibration should have gone. Then refit with some sticky back felt inbetween the two pieces, this should stop the noise.

I think Lummox may have hit the nail on the head here, but I was thinking it could be related to the DMF...

I've noticed that at these kind of rev ranges the DMF has a tendency to protest at higher throttle openings, which seems to manifest itself as a "growl" or heavy vibration. It's only at the rev range you suggest (although IMHO on my car it stops about 1800rpm) so I just change up to increase the revs slightly.

Is this your first DMF'd diesel?

Haven't had a chance to check the intake pipe yet due to carp weather, hopefully it'll be better tomorrow.

Bluefox- Yes this is my first DMF diesel. Are you suggesting that this is a characteristic rather than a fault then?

On the subject of DMF's, is there a replacement SMF which will fit the longitudally mounted 1.9 TDi's?

Haven't had a chance to check the intake pipe yet due to carp weather, hopefully it'll be better tomorrow.

Raining fish? :lol:

Bluefox- Yes this is my first DMF diesel. Are you suggesting that this is a characteristic rather than a fault then?

On the subject of DMF's, is there a replacement SMF which will fit the longitudally mounted 1.9 TDi's?

Yeah, I think it might be. It certainly is with mine - it wouldn't be a problem but I don't like leaving the DMF winging as, er, they're expensive.

As for SMF's I've not seen one for the AWX engine (or similar longditudinal) although I hope there is - I'm planning on changing mine for one with a better clutch when it eventually goes.

Perhaps Awesome list a SMF "kit" for the AWX TDI engine...? (pokes Sarah)

Is it me or is it impossible to pull away quickly with a DMF or is the vibration supposed to be there ? Pull away normally and its fine ?

I have no real issues with pulling away, either normally or quickly, other than the usual cold clutch judder.

However I do keep the revs around 2000 when pulling away quickly, as this is generally where peak torque is... and hence it avoids the "vibration".

This has put my mind at rest. I also get clutch judder when cold but I understand that's quite common and no really much to worry about.

I don't have any issues pulling away quickly, although the clutch took a little getting used to after my Octavia. That said, I'm all too aware of the cost of replacing the clutch and DMF so I try to be gentle with them.

What about the engine cover? Prise off the 3 caps and remove the nuts and remove the cover, I'll bet thats whats causing it.

If you need any of the cover caps, nuts or the rubber mounts, I've got some that I'm more than happy to pop in the post :thumbup:

The DMF is more of a loud dull vibration, you'll know when you hear it :rofl:

Thanks for the offer, Tom, it's much appreciated. Unfortunately the first batch of service items I bought included new engine cover mounts and caps! I'll keep that in mind if I ever lose another.

I added felt to the intake pipe and also replaced the two missing self tapping screws which hold the intake trumpet to the front panel. This has indeed made things sound much more as I expected they should, so thank you for that tip!

I've just returned from a 630 mile round trip this weekend and all is well. I think a decent run has done it some good. I still miss my Octy for driving pleasure, but the Passat really eats miles!

I have no real issues with pulling away, either normally or quickly, other than the usual cold clutch judder.

However I do keep the revs around 2000 when pulling away quickly, as this is generally where peak torque is... and hence it avoids the "vibration".

Not tried that, as I also usually get the cold clutch judder, might give that a go.

Ok after a few more miles it's apparent that the vibration is still there, although the intake pipe mod has quietened some noise down.

I also seem to be developing a slight whine in 5th and 6th gear when under moderate to high load. It's not loud, but it's there. A slight incline is enough to induce the whine at motorway speeds... Any thoughts? :(

The 6 speed North-South boxes are developing a reputation for gear whine - usually after about 60k miles. It starts in the upper gears and works its way down the ratios getting louder until the pinion bearings collapse.

I don't wish to be alarmist - bearing collapse can take a while. How many miles has yours covered?

rotodiesel.

The 6 speed North-South boxes are developing a reputation for gear whine - usually after about 60k miles. It starts in the upper gears and works its way down the ratios getting louder until the pinion bearings collapse.

I don't wish to be alarmist - bearing collapse can take a while. How many miles has yours covered?

rotodiesel.

At 82,500 miles, you think an oil change would help this Rotodiesel?