PD170 remaps

For those of you who have gone down the Bluefin route is it worth it? Nice smooth power delivery all the way to the red line I presume? Any other 'must have' upgrades to get to ensure you get the most from it?

For those who have done a fair few miles since a remap, take it there are no potential long term issues with the clutch etc... Can the extra power be easily put down or are there traction issues?

Is the opinion that Bluefin is the way ahead for the PD170, just like Revo is considered the best way to go on the TFSI, or are there other options worth considering?

Yes I know a search would have given me all the answers but thought it would be nice to have all the PD170 info in one consise thread :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fella I work with has a Revo on his PD170 Leon FR. I can't honestly say the power delivery was smooth from the one time I had a lift in it, but then that may have been more down to the guy's clutch-shredding driving style! ;)

It's an alternative to the Bluefin, though...

OK; you want information :) well here it is! :eek:

Firstly, this is probably the most comprehensive thread on the subject;- http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/vrs-pd-170-engine-management-software-disk-part/120394/

However, here are two posts from the latter part of it that are worthwhile highlighting;-

First;-

"I have had a couple of interesting phone discussions with Revo and Superchips this afternoon. I rang them both and explained PD 170 engine with DPF and new OE (26E6) ECU map and got most interesting responses;

Revo. Ah! PD170 engine, hmm. We are not developing that at the moment, assessing feasibility, will support existing customers, but not confident at present, DPF issues on some but not all cars (no rhyme or reason) and are discussing whether or not to continue development and marketing remap. Only way to load/unload ecu map (in event of OE change in the future) would be to revisit dealer.

Superchips. Ah! PD170 engine, yup; no problem. New OE map? Yup, no problem; buy a Bluefin, download existing (26E6) map, e-mail it to us; we will remap, return it to you and then do Bluefin Install.

Seems like a no-brainer - got to get a Bluefin."

and second;-

OK; got my BlueFin remap done at Superchips during the week and finished up with headline figures of 210 bhp and 297 lbft. However this doesn't tell the whole story.

Having previously rolling roaded the car earlier in the year the initial RR at Superchips showed that, above 2,000 rpm there is no noticeable difference with the 26E6 remap. What did show up is a much stronger power/torque delivery up to 2,000 rpm (as I had suspected). It also showed that my K&N 57i intake does provide a stronger top end (over 3,500rpm) at the expense of some mid range (2,000 - 3,500rpm) - as the power/torque curves are the same as earlier (when compared to an OE intake car) notably the power curve is very linear as opposed to a typical TDi where the power increase tails off at higher revs. With the Superchips RR my 57i'd engine produced 187bhp, compared with (and verifying) the 189bhp from earlier at JKM.

Supepchips then got to work with their remap. They have taken a conservative approach in the uplift they have produced as they want to be sure there will be no issues with exhaust gas temperature, the DPF and the dual mass flywheel, particularly considering the very strong performance of my engine to start with. Nevertheless they have provided a 12.5% increase in power to 210 bhp and 10% increase in torque to 297 lbft - figures that are pretty much as good as the BMW *23d twin turbo engine!

I haven't really had the opportunity to explore the increased power/torque as yet but the engine (as expected) is certainly stronger whilst feeling smoother and quieter; but I am looking forward to it. I'm well pleased.

Finally; here are the Superchips graphs from their typical VAG 2.0L TDI 170;-

superchipsgraphVAGTDI170.jpg

and mine;-

superchipsgraphvRSTDi.jpg

My vRS runs the "stock" SuperChips remap from 2007.

With no other mods and Tesco Cheap Diesel ("Every Little Helps") the car last RR'd at 203.2 HP = 206 PS and 310 lbft

7 months old @8,500 miles

OCT2DXK.gif

3 weeks old @1,200 miles

897.gif

Superchips mapped my PD130 with a few tweaks ;) to 201 bhp, cannot remember the torque but it is posted here somewhere. Either way, it was a conservative map, very smooth and driveable.

If they are happy to put their name against it, it will be ok. They are conservative though, and once the DPF issue is resolved by a mapper out there, there is no doubt much more potential.

My car has just gone in for the 26e6 update and the car now runs very lumpy. It's had a revo map from new with no problems with the DPF light

Is the this update a known problem for cars that have the revo map ??

Give it a couple of days/250 miles for the Engine management to 'settle down' and relearn everything after the 26E6 remap. Then think "is the engine running right?"

You may need to reinstall the Revo map; it is possible that the 26E6 remap has overwritten it back to OE setup.

You may need to reinstall the Revo map; it is possible that the 26E6 remap has overwritten it back to OE setup.

You will get a definitive answer on this from Revo themselves.

When I had my 26E6 done, the initial throttle response felt very different (which it is) and it took 250 miles for the engine to feel sweet again (always use V-Power); no remap involved.

Johnwg, is there a lot of difference in the fuel gauge going down compared to your old TFSI?

Not as much as you'd imagine - used to get bang on 35mpg in my TFSI, the TDI returns a rather disapointing 42mpg, combine that with the difference between what you pay at the pumps between V Power Unleaded and V Power Derv and the savings aren't great.

Only real gain is on super long trips where I have managed to squeeze 50mpg out of the TDI, where as in the TFSI I would only manage 38mpg

This might be a stupid question, but is there an easy way for me to tell if I have the 26E6 map in my PDi vRS?

Thanks

Only by taking the car to your dealer and getting them to check online.

If you have any engine ecu updates it WILL overwrite any second party remaps.

Might also be worth noting if the dealers VAS machine is connected online and your car is plugged in they have started auto updating so it will update your ECU if it needs it.

Only by taking the car to your dealer and getting them to check online.

If you have any engine ecu updates it WILL overwrite any second party remaps.

Might also be worth noting if the dealers VAS machine is connected online and your car is plugged in they have started auto updating so it will update your ECU if it needs it.

Thanks Lummox. I was thinking of doing a Blufin using the JKM offer, but wanted to be sure about this first. Might wait until after the first service coming up soon then.

If you have the update the bluefin will overwrite it anyhow so it wont matter.

Not strictly correct.

The Bluefin will work on top of the upgraded 26E6 remap. I know as I had a bluefin remap done 10 days after the 26E6 remap. Here are the before and after graphs to show what I mean;-

superchipsgraphvRSTDi.jpg

and this is the graph for a pre-26E6 OE mapped engine;-

superchipsgraphVAGTDI170.jpg

210BHP out of the 170PD!

That's very cool. Can you remap the 170CR in the same way?

Don't know what can be done with a CR engine; I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a little better as IIRC the CR does not have the same extent of issue and constraint imposed by the DPF.

210bhp from PD engine; yes its good :D but it is achieved from a very strong 187bhp base.

Blufin users amongst you... I am looking to get one and would value an honest opinion about how much of an improvement it really is over the standard Skoda map, even the 26E6. I know some of the graphs look impressive, but how does it actually feel driving. Is it a 'psychological' improvement that you feel must be there as you have forked out £400+, or is there a genuine driving difference?

Thanks in advance.

Blufin users amongst you... I am looking to get one and would value an honest opinion about how much of an improvement it really is over the standard Skoda map, even the 26E6. I know some of the graphs look impressive, but how does it actually feel driving. Is it a 'psychological' improvement that you feel must be there as you have forked out £400+, or is there a genuine driving difference?

Thanks in advance.

Based on my experience of having 1.9TDI's remaped there is a huge difference, it's often a case that the graphs and figures seem a let down compaired to how the engine feels once mapped i.e. your convinced that the graphs and figures quoted are far too conservative

Based on my experience of having 1.9TDI's remaped there is a huge difference, it's often a case that the graphs and figures seem a let down compaired to how the engine feels once mapped i.e. your convinced that the graphs and figures quoted are far too conservative

Well said that man

Don't know what can be done with a CR engine; I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a little better as IIRC the CR does not have the same extent of issue and constraint imposed by the DPF.

210bhp from PD engine; yes its good :D but it is achieved from a very strong 187bhp base.

I've been told by Superchips that they are still working on the remap for the CR...

I'm certainly looking forward to 200+ bhp and 300+ lbs torque...