Fogged up front fogs

Well 2000 miles in and both front fog lights are now fogged up with condensation. It's not like a cold mirror in a hot damp bathroom, but it does cover the inside of the lens and round to the sides where the ribbed detailing is.

Has anybody else experienced this at all? Not sure what the response will be from my local dealer yet (not had a Skoda before), but for other marques I have had you sometimes get the response "ah don't worry it burns off when the lamps are on"

I have noticed that one of my front fog lights does not appear to be sealed very well, there is a large black gasket sealing the glass, on one "corner" it appears not to be meeting the glass lens. No condensation yet though, only had the car two days!

James. why do you ask is it an Elegance, because of the corner light function? and the movement within the light to achieve this?

just checked mine after a 1000 miles - well fogged up , elegance as well , do most driving during darkness so surprised not burnt off, dealers on monday - could be dodgy seals.

How did you get on at your dealers?

I have a 1.8 Tsi elegance with the same problem. Both front fogs are filled with condensation.

I showed it to the dealer. Then he showed me his own Superb with the same problem. Said its not to be so and would investigate. He said it would be stupid to get a replacement from the same production, which would probably have the same problem. I´m located in Denmark by the way. :-)

The nearside foglight has developed condensation , I rang the dealers on Tuesday and was told to leave the foglights on for five minutes and it should burn it off and if that doesn't solve it (as that is what they do to check it) to get back in touch. So i turned the fogs on after five minutes the condensation was still there so i left them on for an extra five minutes and it was still there so i rang the dealers up and told them that the condensation was still there after ten minutes. It was booked in for nine oclock this morning when i got my keys back after it was checked I was told they would have to take the foglight out and see if it needed resealing, but they would order a new one just in case.So obviously they have to send a report sheet or whatever it's called to MK. About an hour after i got home the phone rings it's the dealers saying they have just had a reply from MK saying that that was exceptable and it wasn't a fault. When I left home and drove to the dealers I purposefully left the foglights on all the way there and it took thirty five minutes and I told the dealers this.And the condensation was still there.

Pugwash could you tell me what your dealer said to you or more to the point what Skoda UK said to your dealer. As this matter is not stopping here.

Pete

Edited by fofos

Getting mine fixed has been on the back burner over the holidays, but will be going to the dealers on Friday.

I assume your getting it done under warranty? as skoda uk have told my dealer that it is exceptable and won't do it under warranty. Would you mind telling which dealer your taking it to and if they are replacing or resealing the fog lights. TIA

Pete

think we should have a list / poll showing how many owners are affected by this problem. it might be useful ammunition to throw at skoda UK.

i was going to start a poll but cant work out how you do it on here ? i clicked the "start poll" checkbox but it didnt do anything ??

they have just had a reply from MK saying that that was exceptable and it wasn't a fault.

What a load of cr@p, they are not "Fit for purpose" simple!

If they refuse to change them, tell them you are rejecting the car and demand a replacement, i bet they fix them under warranty pretty quickly!

What a load of cr@p, they are not "Fit for purpose" simple!

If they refuse to change them, tell them you are rejecting the car and demand a replacement, i bet they fix them under warranty pretty quickly!

You have read my mind, as that is exactly what i intend to do if i don't get it replaced.

jcb i have read four posts on here to date with this problem.

Pete

Just checked mine tonight - and I feel completely left out. No visible condensation in either of my Fog Lights.

I did notice earlier that my handbook does warn of possible condensation in the headlights - and says it is harmless.

--------------

I was looking at the car because I was topping up the washer bottle with something a bit stronger. temperature here tonight was down to -12C @ 11pm!!!

An update on the foglights.

Skoda customer services rang me back yesterday afternoon after my phone call to them on Monday morning. After a very long and detailed conversation the bottom line was if it is just condensation (which mine is) then it is exceptable, but if their is any droplets or water inside the light then it will be replaced under warranty. The word from Mlada Boloslav is there is no fault in the lights.

I then rang the dealers and spoke to Gary who is in charge of the workshop and had an even more detailed discussion and i have decided to go along with what he said for now. One of the main reasons for the condensation was the weather conditions we have had for the past fortnight are so.And this thread started around the same time? And he has got the mk2 superb and both his fogs have got condensation in them. I have just been out to check the foglight and the condensation is not as bad as it has been.

Pete

Update

I took mine in today and the technician looked at them and straight away said "you'll need new lights". He alluded to Skoda having similar issues with the first run on previous models, Octavia, Superb. He also explained that it could possibly be a breather hole (probably blocked) or a bung that covers the bulb at the back may not be put on correctly. He wasn't sure which it would be as he has yet to take the lights out of Superb, though it is a bumper off job!

So I just have to wait for them to give me a call when they lights come in. Very happy with the response.

As an aside, whilst there they hooked up the car to delete phone profiles for me and when I asked about satnav software being out of date came straight out with a cellophane wrapped nav disc saying this is the latest one we put in cars. Unfortunately its the same as I already have installed V3, which is 18 months old. Can't win them all

• 4 weeks later...

Got a call from the dealer today, my replacement fogs are in and my car is booked in to have them replaced on the 24th. Hopefully it should be totally painless going by the dealer service I've recieved so far

Both fog lamps look like they need changing as there is water in both and this is certainly NOT condensation. One Fog Lamp was removed (very easy to do) by the Dealer. Water was seen inside on both, and on the removed one was seen to be dripping out of the corner between the main body and the front lense where there is a silicone/rubber seal.Digital photos taken and forwarded to Skoda UK. I will be expecting replacements. Seems this is becoming a common fault.

Dealer telephoned me today to inform me that Skoda are aware of a problem affecting some Fog Light seals. Replacements on their way

Edited by Drummond28
Update

Both fog lamps look like they need changing as there is water in both and this is certainly NOT condensation. One Fog Lamp was removed (very easy to do) by the Dealer. Water was seen inside on both, and on the removed one was seen to be dripping out of the corner between the main body and the front lense where there is a silicone/rubber seal.Digital photos taken and forwarded to Skoda UK. I will be expecting replacements. Seems this is becoming a common fault.

Dealer telephoned me today to inform me that Skoda are aware of a problem affecting some Fog Light seals. Replacements on their way

Replacements fitted today:thumbup: See how long they last this time