CR170 DSG Elegance 500 Mile Review

Having now covered just over 500 miles I thought I would offer my views of the above car to the forum.

Overall inoression very pleased, fast, comfortable and practical.

Specific concerns...

Headlight beams "wobbles" on rough roads.

Two cats eye lights are terrible and will soon be extinguised.

Heater temperature is difficult to regulate, either hot or cold, very poor graduatuion of change.

A slight engine hunting episode at about 300 miles seems to have permanaently "upset" the DSG gearbox, perhaps the engine problem persisits, but on over run the car slows noticeably, ir ran on nicely before. After kickdown the box now changes up a gear and then back down some times. Other odd syptoms when changing up and down the box, not restriciting driving, but odd compared to original feel and also that of my wifes DSG Golf.

Consumption could be better, and I hope improves with age, currently 25 -35 on shorter journeys and 35- 42 on longer runs.

Any comments on these few hiccups from other users?

Most dissapointing experience so far, calling the dealer to ask to take the car in tomorrow, 31st, for diagnostic check of engine and gearbox, to be told "the" mechanic is on holiday till 5th January.

Most dissapointing experience so far, calling the dealer to ask to take the car in tomorrow, 31st, for diagnostic check of engine and gearbox, to be told "the" mechanic is on holiday till 5th January.

Is that a small dealer? You'd have thought they'd have at least one mechanic in for contingency -assuming they do have more than one mechanic! What do they do if he phones in sick?? :confused::eek:

GrahamElegance - My two pennorth -consumption about same as yours when worked out on petrol receipts but computer shows better, i am impressed compared to last superb as i think dsg when on form is excellent - in sport mode very rapid from stand still - i like down lights but each to their own. My dealer has been excellent and changed my front fogs no problem. I had a gearbox glitch on boxing day and they looked at it as soon as reported on monday, awaiting a reply from skoda technical who are off !!!

Overall ,glitch aside, for comfort, practicality and pace well pleased. Lack of 7 fig post code irks me but apart from that love the columbus too.

I would not swap it .

• 1 month later...

Have just finished my first 500 in a CR 170 DSG Elegance. For all the publicity about the DSG gearbox it doesnt seem as smooth as the automatic in my last Superb (Mk 1) and it still creeps at lights when I was told it would not.

Cant really compare the engines since the last car had a 2.8 V6 petrol which was powerful and smooth.

The new diesel somehow isn't quite as good but consumption figures are very promising. According to the computer I got an average of 51 mpg on a 100 mile journey (mixture of roads)

I like the Columbus. Full post codes arent too important since you can also put in streets and numbers. (the last one wasn't too good on numbers)

Apart from these the car seems great.

Trevor

Well I am up to 2500 miles now, still some minor niggles, but main concern is MPG, for others do not be fooled by the MFD display, mine over reads by 3mpg!

Actual brim to brim over a full tank full is 35- 39 dependant on how many longer (20 mile plus) journeys are made.

I had hoped for 40+ at least. Perhaps I drive too hard, but on the 1.9 manual Octavia I had for 10 weeks I got 45+ all the time and over 50 on mainly longer runs, again brim to brim per tankful.

I've done 750 miles so far, mostly highway and city driving. I have 49 mpg on the MFD so far and cannot calculate the proper mpg since I have the auxillary heater which consumes some diesel. But including the auxillary heater consumption my brim to brim consumption is 40 mpg, and the auxillary is on an hour a day! So I am very pleased with the figures already the first 750 miles! Weekdays I go 2 times 40 miles on the highway at legal 70 mph and some congestion traffic. At least I think the real brim to brim would be 43–44 mpg so far (thus the MFD showing +5 mpg....). But I guess it will improve as well.

Edited by Minuss

I have had mine 3 1/2 weeks now over 4000 on the clock (and no it's not a taxi lol)

I am presently averaging a good 45 MPG.

Only glitch that I can report is that system has reset it self twice cancelling out any average fuel readings but apart form that the car is awsome.

will be giving it an almost 1000 mile each way round trip into France in a few weeks.

Will report back then if I remember.

SNOB:thumbup:

Just over 6000 Miles on mine now. 2.00 cr DSG Elegance. 48mpg on average with a mixture of town and a round trip of 400miles every week. Fog lamps look like they need changing as there is water in both and certainly not condensation. Pictures taken by the Dealer and forwarded to Skoda UK. Apart from that very happy indeed.:thumbup:

Sorry that Jonathon (JCBLincs) is having so many problems with his:(

Edited by Drummond28

would be intersting if one filled the car up to the brim.......noticed how many litres of fuel was put in till the next refill........zero odometer.....or check mileage between fill ups and do the calulations then...would be interesting to see the info