MPG and MFD 170 CR DSG

Have done approx 900 miles so far in Cornwall, one dual carriageway run of about 80 miles. Did not check consumption with first tankfull, getting used to a DSG box + tight engine not a fair test. Second tankfull to tankfull 41.06mpg. I expect better figures as the engine settles in. I will as with my previous Superb be keeping a detailed fuel account from now on.

Give it time, you need to do more miles. As you put more miles on a diesel engine, the mpg will improve no end. For example I used to get high 40s from my octy when purchased with 13K miles on the clock, now I see in the 60mpg range easily.

I've done a few 40-45 mile runs in mine recently and it's returned around 46mpg according to the trip computer. Overall average so far including alot of town driving is currently just under 37mpg.

After the first few thousand miles in my TDI CR 170 DSG I am typically getting 40-43 for short range (up to 30 mile) 42-45mpg for mid-range (50-100 mile) and 46-49 for long range (over 100 mile) journeys.

Obviously the consumption varies with driving style, and whilst not a "boy racer" I don't hang around either so figures appear reasonable at present for the size of car.

With a daily motorway run of about 60 miles plus 20 miles of town driving, I easily get mpg in higher 50's with my PD. On a good day it goes up above 60. If there is a start-stop traffic the worse I've seen is 30-ish. That's on MFD - not the actual.

I've done a few 40-45 mile runs in mine recently and it's returned around 46mpg according to the trip computer. Overall average so far including alot of town driving is currently just under 37mpg.

My mates Touran does about the same, it's not a 170 though iirc.

its not all about economy - you have to have a car you like and have fun too !!!

i would rather enjoy driving the petrol and get less economy than drive a diesle that i dont like just to save a bit of fuel !

I am sureit will get better as i use it more - its had a lot of town driving so not great.

I like the diesel, maybe a bit noisey when parked and idling but on the road it is good and as for the fun, I am always surprised how quick it gets up from 80 to silly speeds. All on a test track of course Mr Plod!

Mr Civic 2.2 Diesel the other day couldnt live with the Superb and that was on a third gear drag off a roundabout!

Horses for courses and all that, but unless it is a mega powerful petrol, I will take diesel, faster easier and cheaper!

I

Horses for courses and all that, but unless it is a mega powerful petrol, I will take diesel, faster easier and cheaper!

dont want to open up the old debate again but dont understand what you mean by faster, cheaper and easier ?

faster - nope.check the 0-60 times

cheaper- nope. costs £1300 more to buy and the fuel is more per litre which almost balances out the extra economy

easier ? doesnt make sense. i get in my car , turn the key and drive. how can anything be easier :D

i have to admit the 170CR is a cracker but there is too much vibration at idle for my liking. it spoils the luxury feel of the car.

On the open road though it goes like stink and can only be heard once you hit 70mph

Fair doos, I would dispute the faster and cheaper though,

Cheaper probably comes down to how you are buying and how many miles you do,

Faster 0-60 is not really any sort of indication in the real world

And easier imho because you just put your foot down in any gear,

But I have a manual.

We can agree to disagree :)

Just my opinion and all that, I am a big fan of the old 1.9 tdi, for performance, economy and running costs it is a great allrounder and have now had four cars with this engine variant and they have all been good, one was a passat that clocked up 200k so I liked the bullet proof nature of the engine provided they have oil changes they seem to go on for ever.

The 1.8 petrol you have is a good engine, I just like the diesels ability to pull from 15mph in third right up to the red line like a train! (Not a BR train of course! LOL)

All in the best spirit btw,

:cool:

The 1.8 petrol you have is a good engine, I just like the diesels ability to pull from 15mph in third right up to the red line like a train! (Not a BR train of course! LOL)

All in the best spirit btw,

have you ever driven the 1.8T ? I have the "old" style 1.8T in my passat and we had it in our A6. It pulls like a train and really does drive like a TDi. I would never own a non-turbo petrol engine . I like the 1.8T as it has similar characteristics to the derv but without the noise !! I can probably match the pulling from 15mph in third - i will try it. I often go round roundabouts in 5th and it pulls away.

I also tow a caravan and was astounded at how well my 8yr old passat with 125k on the clock pulls a big twin axle van. It flies up hills on the motorway in 5th with the cruise on.

I agree 100% that a good diesel is easier to drive in the real world than a petrol - its just that the VAG group have an "ace up their sleeve" with the turbo petrol engines. (although i have to admit the 20mpg when towing is not ideal :D)

The superb is a different animal - its a DSG for starters so hard for me to cmopare with my old manual A6. The power is more linear as well - the only critisism of the old engine was that the turbo was a bit peaky and came in all of a sudden. but then i guess this was true of the older diesel engines as well. Newer variable vane technology means turbo cars are more linear in the power delivery. Expecially the 170CR.

I am really not trying to go down the petrol vs diesel route again - just interesting to see how people still percieve petrol as not having the torque.I dont do many miles and can live with the poorer economy of the petrol. also my wife really doesnt like diesel - she earns the money so she is entitled to influence the car choice !!!

i am sure we will both enjoy our choices as they suit our own individual lifestyles !

Everyone seems to bang on about 0-60 times, when they are just are not important.

What concerns me more is 50-70mph and the like - and I prefer diesel for the better pull you get.

One of my mates was quite surprised to get out-torqued by my old Ibiza 1.9TDI in his Fiesta ST...

Just my opinion and all that, I am a big fan of the old 1.9 tdi, for performance, economy and running costs it is a great allrounder and have now had four cars with this engine variant and they have all been good, one was a passat that clocked up 200k so I liked the bullet proof nature of the engine provided they have oil changes they seem to go on for ever.

I just like the diesels ability to pull from 15mph in third right up to the red line like a train! (Not a BR train of course! LOL)

I'm glad someone else likes the 1.9Tdi. I have the 105 Ps version fitted in my Octy II and will shortly be taking delivery of a Superb II with the same (not literally!) engine. It's getting a bit lonely being the only advocate of the 1.9Tdi in the new Superb when every man and his dog seems to be opting for the 170 CR!

Apart from having a newer design of fuel filter to replace the original which leaked the engine has been faultless in 114,500 miles.

I'd love to know the actual output as it seems more powerful than the stated 105 Ps output suggests. It'll pull readlily from low revs without any coughing or vibration.

Economy from mixed motoring has been the low 50's which is commendable. Having no DPF has avoided a lot of the problems experienced by the new 140 PD.

I have a 1.9 TDi Octavia with a Superb 140PD on order (company car), and my feelings are I am in the diesel camp! my personal car is a 130 Bhp 18i it is faster 0-60 10 mph more top end than the Octavia and very smooth to drive BUT no grunt and you have to rev it to get moving! Diesel just so much more relaxed (God I am getting old) and feels faster than my personal car!! hope I do not get the DPF problem.

so your petrol car is a normally aspirated one ?

Turbo petrols are so much better. If you could only buy non-turbo petrols then i would go for a diesel for the same reasons you state.

I had a lift in one of those sewing machine cars the other day - a fabia with the 3 pot diesel. god it was a truly awful engine. there again it was what the dealer runs as a car to drop people off around town etc so I guess it makes sense for that purpose. the rest of the car was not half bad if you like little cars !