It's Happened!!

after 47k and 18 months pretty touble-free miles, it's happened..On arriving home on Friday night, I've just pulled the key out of the igniotion and after 5 seconds, all the roof mounted ceiling lights suddenly went off. Oh dear. get out and the car locked as normal via the key blip and I again thought "Oh dear Rob... yeah, you should've looked for leaks like you said you would last weekend!" On sat morning, decide to go to a dealer (Allams In Epsom) so get to the car and hey - the Central locking worked and the lights came on too! No matter. Get to the dealer (Nah sorry, we ain't go no technicians, 'ave we, so no one can look at it tilwah Mondaaay!") so decide to forget that and ring the RAC. Get home and now none of the interior lights work, nor the windows, the folding mirrors, the Central locking from the key nor the boot or fuel-filler release. Ring the RAC. He finally arrives after four hours and three follow-up calls and can't get into the diagnostic systems, so advises me to call Skoda and get a courtesy car arranged. So, I'm off to Withams in the morning (she still starts and drives fine) and will get a courtesy rental car from National for the duration of the repair. Of course, I will insist that the Plenum (?) chamber seal is repaired and updated, the convienienbce unity and associated wiring replaced and not repaired and will also get the slow returning drivers seat belt, and the faulty air direction flap in the heater unit fixed at the same time (it wont direct heat to the footwell on manual!) I'll let you know the outcome...

Sorry, did I read that correctly. You got the RAC out because you couldn't wait till Monday ? The RAC aren't really equipped for stuff like this surely.

Edited by auroan

Sorry, did I read that correctly. You got the RAC out because you couldn't wait till Monday ? The RAC aren't really equipped for stuff like this surely.

That's how I read it as well...

Still, yeah, sounds like Leaky McFilter to me. Good luck :)

When you called RAC, did you call the skoda assistance number or the orange van number ? Who turned up, silver van or orange van ?

No, It was obvious they wouldn't be able to fix it, but to get full warranty service and no arguements later, you need to get the RAC (Skoda Assist) involved so the car is given a non-fix status and get a 48 hour courtesy car.

Edited by numskull

Took the car to Withams on Monday morning, and the courtesy car arrives 1h 25 mins late - pretty average. Rang in the afternoon and they tell me there was zero sign of water ingress but the convienience unit has failed. They've fixed the slow seat belt and sticky air flap. Tuesday the new convienience unit arrives, is fitted and loads of fuses blew. Traced a fault to the main interior lamp unit, they order a replacement and this arrives this morning. this morning, I return to the dealer in case this has fixed the issue, it doesn't so I get onto Skoda Customer Sevice, who speak to the Service Manager and they immediately extend the rental car for another 7 days. So, now it's a waiting game. More when I have it people...

Edited by numskull
Update

When you called RAC, did you call the skoda assistance number or the orange van number ? Who turned up, silver van or orange van ?

This is off topic so apologies to the OP..... I thought if you called Skoda Assist you just got the normal RAC bloke come out not a Skoda Assist vehicle..... The two times we've had them out it's been a normal RAC van / chap that have turned up.

Used VW assist before and that was a normal AA bloke that turned up..... Same with Lexus assist come to think of it.

Cheers

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
Skoda Assist is simply the RAC, formally the AA.

I think you're thinking of BMW/Merc asist with silver vehicles ;)

Actually the difference between the silver van and the orange van is the the patrols in the silver vans are working for the RAC but are under contract to VW Group at Milton Keynes. All silver guys get VWG brand specific training (some are even Group master techs :))and carry VAS5051b or VAS 5052a diagnostics, carry Group specific parts and are licenced to carry out warranty repairs and fit parts to your car. Orange patrols are not allowed to fit parts and have no brand training and don't carry parts. The only diagnostic kit they carry is a laptop called 'RACSCAN' which is nowhere near as good as VAS.

Always call 0800 526625 and don't settle for anything less than a man in a silver van :):)